Old 25-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Gary Harrison

Default Pruning fruit trees - HELP!

Hi All,
Never been here before but having a scan round there looks to be some
knowedgable folk on here, so hopefully someone can help.

I have just bought a house (Next door) that has several (about 15)
mature fruit trees, Plum, Apple, Cherry, Pear.

I know that these trees have not been looked at for over 15 years and
the whole plot of land has been left to nature.

The trees have all got loads of fruit on, and we have managed to get
about 6 carrier bags off the ones we can get to.

The problem is that the trees have been left to there own devices, and
the best fruit is above the canopy which is about 30 foot up!

I want to manage these trees but i don't know where to start, at the
moment they are far too high, but i can't go in and cut them to hight as
i might loose the tree's

I need expert help, I live in Sheffield and am concered that a normal
tree surgen might not have the knowedge to work on these fruit trees.

Can anyone offer suggestions.

All thoughts welcome.

cheers

Gary Harrison.

Old 26-08-2003, 02:49 AM
bnd777

"Gary Harrison" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt you will kill the trees and they sound in good health if they are
fruiting

Although Plum trees can be susceptible to Silver Leaf

Wait till October and then reduce the canopys down to a more reasonable
height and prune out any overlapping or crossing branches to give an open
framework
Then next year you can do more drastic pruning

There are several good books on pruning fruit trees you should be able to
get one from your library

It will likely be a very good idea to put grease bands on the trees and to
give them a couple of doses of winter wash .........you might need to go and
buy that PDQ as it may be on the list of things the EU is about to ban

Old 26-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Dwayne

The first thing is to wait until they are dormant. I like to wait until Feb
or March. I have been told that if you wait until later, you might keep it
from blossoming too early and then getting frosted.

Cut out anything growing down, toward another branch that is of better
quality, all dead wood, water spouts (branches other than the main tree,
that grow straight up), and anything not growing in the direction you want
it to. Cut above a bud that is facing the direction you want the tree to
grow.

I have been told to never remove more than 1/3 of a tree at one pruning.
This project could take you several years. You can cut the tops out to
prevent them from getting too tall. Apples grow on 2 year old wood. I am
not sure about plum, cherry or pear. You didn't mention peaches, but they
grow on new wood.

Look at the tree and imagine what you want it to look like in 10 years.
Then start cutting it in a way that will help you reach that shape.

Have fun. Dwayne

Old 26-08-2003, 07:42 AM
anton

bnd777 wrote in message ...

[...]

No, no, no.

There are several good books on pruning fruit trees you should be able to
get one from your library

Gary's got an ongoing pruning problem, so I suggest that
borrowing a book for two weeks is not going to solve it.
'Fruit' by Harry Baker for the RHS would be a good buy.

--
Anton

Old 26-08-2003, 07:42 AM
anton

Dwayne wrote in message ...
The first thing is to wait until they are dormant. I like to wait until

Feb
or March. I have been told that if you wait until later, you might keep it
from blossoming too early and then getting frosted.

Killed any plums yet?

--
Anton

Old 26-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Jim W

Gary Harrison wrote:

[...]

Yes..

You will need a program over several years to rejuvenate these trees..

If you try and do it all at once you will only stimulate the tree into
massive growth the following year.

For most of the above this will be a mixture of both summer and winter
pruning.. Winter to do 'major' work eg work on the framework and
overall shape of the tree.
Summer to encouage fruiting growth for next year and ripen the current
years fruit and keep the tree under control..

I sggest visiting the library and taking a look around some good
bookstores in the gardening section or on the net for books on fruit.
The RHS series are a good place to start, although certainly not the
'bible' when it comes to fruit pruning..

Joining a local allotments or Horticultural soc may also put you in
touch with those used to growing fruit and caring for tree.
//
Jim
Old 26-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Victoria Clare

"anton" wrote in news:bieuvg$2dg$1
@hercules.btinternet.com:

There are several good books on pruning fruit trees you should be able to
get one from your library

Gary's got an ongoing pruning problem, so I suggest that
borrowing a book for two weeks is not going to solve it.
'Fruit' by Harry Baker for the RHS would be a good buy.

I shall look out for that - thanks.

I can also recommend 'A practical guide to pruning' by Peter McHoy.

It has lots of good detailed diagrams explaining in detail how various
techniques work, and a section on neglected trees (I found many books that
assumed you would never let this happen, so did not advise!).

If the trees are 30-footers now, it seems unlikely that pruning alone will
reduce them so much that all the fruit will be accessible from the ground -
aren't they always going to want to be biggish trees?

I recommend a plastic fishing-net from Woolworths: I find mine invaluble
for picking fruit from my 2 large apple trees, and you can also use it to
fish out apples that have fallen into the pond ;-).

Victoria
Old 26-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Mike Lyle

Not being arsey, but this is one of the reasons top-posting isn't
always the most convenient style for readers.

Mike.

Old 26-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Mike Lyle

"anton" wrote in message ...
[...]
There are several good books on pruning fruit trees you should be able to
get one from your library

Gary's got an ongoing pruning problem, so I suggest that
borrowing a book for two weeks is not going to solve it.
'Fruit' by Harry Baker for the RHS would be a good buy.

I'd like to weigh in with a "me-too" he I love answering gardening
questions when I think I know the answer, but I reckon a quarter of
the enquiries we get here would be better dealt with by a book. A few
of the answers we see (and perhaps of the ones I give) are distinctly
risky, as the "rules" are the result of generations of research and
experience. Bending the rules can work for some people in some places,
but generally, if you need to ask, you probably aren't yet ready for
experiment.

I don't imagine Franz will mind if I use one of our fruitful
disagreements as an example. I am very cautious of over-potting, as
I've seen it kill or maim too many good plants. Franz, on the other
hand, has an instinctive watering technique (this is among the things
we mean by "green fingers") which means he can succeed where I might
fail. You just can't teach that over the Internet, so somebody needing
to be told how to care for precious container plants *has to* do it in
the conventional way.

If a new gardener feels that the books may be too technical, or too
like school, I urge her or him to stroll into the library or the
bookshop and have a look at what there is. Nobody in there will take
any notice if you hang about browsing for an hour, and a pleasant
surprise is probably in store.

There's nothing like having a book you can pull off the shelf when in
doubt: it's a lot quicker than the Internet, too. (Don't get like me,
though, and end up with too many!)

Mike.
Old 26-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Franz Heymann

Mike, you are absolutely right. Now that the thread is ruined, let's make a
further mess by another top posting.

Franz

om...

Old 26-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "bnd777" contains these words:

Although Plum trees can be susceptible to Silver Leaf

And may stop fruiting for several years if pruned or cut back. It might
be better to replace the plum tree(s).

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 26-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Rhiannon S

Subject: Pruning fruit trees - HELP!
From: "Franz Heymann"
Date: 26/08/2003 21:31 GMT Daylight Time

Ooooh, can I join in too?

Mike, you are absolutely right. Now that the thread is ruined, let's make a
further mess by another top posting.

Franz

. com...

"bnd777" wrote in message

[...]

Rhiannon
http://www.members.aol.com/mddestiny/entrypage.html
Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: depends on what you want it changed into!