Old 02-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Mark

Default 3' x 2' flags - how much do they weigh?

Hi,

Main reason for wanting to know is that I'm trying to estimate what
size skip to order to cart away 20 or so broken 3' x 2's (2" thick in
classic council grey).

Also got about 20 bags (rubble bags, 'bout 2/3 full, sort of bin bag
sized) of limestome 3/4 chippings and weeds(!) to throw in.

Reckon I'll be OK with a "mini-skip" (think they're 3 tonner's)?

Also interested to know what the 3 x 2s weigh per unit just to satisfy
my own curiosity. They seemed rather heavy this weekend

Ta.

Mark
Old 02-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Tumbleweed

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Main reason for wanting to know is that I'm trying to estimate what
size skip to order to cart away 20 or so broken 3' x 2's (2" thick in
classic council grey).

Also got about 20 bags (rubble bags, 'bout 2/3 full, sort of bin bag
sized) of limestome 3/4 chippings and weeds(!) to throw in.

Reckon I'll be OK with a "mini-skip" (think they're 3 tonner's)?

Also interested to know what the 3 x 2s weigh per unit just to satisfy
my own curiosity. They seemed rather heavy this weekend

Ta.

Mark

DONT DO THAT!!! Get rid of them for free or even make money on them. Just
advertise them in your local paper. Last time I advertised flagstones, the
phone was ringing for days, I could have got much more had I realised that
they were worth something, but if you want to just get shot, advertise as
free / buyer collects. People use them for crazy paving, hardcore etc.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 02-09-2003, 07:44 PM
bnd777

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Main reason for wanting to know is that I'm trying to estimate what
size skip to order to cart away 20 or so broken 3' x 2's (2" thick in
classic council grey).

Also got about 20 bags (rubble bags, 'bout 2/3 full, sort of bin bag
sized) of limestome 3/4 chippings and weeds(!) to throw in.

Reckon I'll be OK with a "mini-skip" (think they're 3 tonner's)?

Also interested to know what the 3 x 2s weigh per unit just to satisfy
my own curiosity. They seemed rather heavy this weekend

Ta.

Mark

Why not put a sign outside your gate .......someone might be glad of the 3 '
by 2@ to use to use on their sides block the path of tree roots especially
dreaded Lleyandii

Old 02-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mark wrote:

Main reason for wanting to know is that I'm trying to estimate what
size skip to order to cart away 20 or so broken 3' x 2's (2" thick in
classic council grey).

About 140 pounds each.

Also got about 20 bags (rubble bags, 'bout 2/3 full, sort of bin bag
sized) of limestome 3/4 chippings and weeds(!) to throw in.

It depends. Possibly the same.

Reckon I'll be OK with a "mini-skip" (think they're 3 tonner's)?

Just.

Also interested to know what the 3 x 2s weigh per unit just to satisfy
my own curiosity. They seemed rather heavy this weekend

They are! I have been relaying my 80 yard path, which is made of
them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Kase

Also interested to know what the 3 x 2s weigh per unit just to satisfy
my own curiosity. They seemed rather heavy this weekend

Ta.

Mark

If you do end up hiring a skip, then it's not just the weight of the flags.
Add in the weight of 1 old Alba hi-fi, a urine soaked mattress, several
metres of carpet and possibly an old Fiesta that will all find their way
into the skip overnight.

Kase

Old 02-09-2003, 10:47 PM
David Hill

".......... Also interested to know what the 3 x 2s weigh per unit just to
satisfy my own curiosity. They seemed rather heavy this weekend ........."

And as every year goes by they get heavier.

as for the skip required, ask the firm you are going to hire from.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-09-2003, 11:06 PM
David Hill

"........ Ask! Say what you want to put in 'em. Some drivers will umm and
ahh when picking them up, but a tenner can help overcome their reticence if
it is a tad over the limit.

Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK ..........."

Getting the driver to break the law like that it's no wonder your address is
Dartmoor

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-09-2003, 11:08 PM
hugh

In message , Tumbleweed
writes
"Mark" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Same here
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid
Old 03-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Mark

Cheers for the info chaps.

The 20 flags were pretty badly broken and the replacements only cost
£1.50 a pop (reclaimed), so I didn't think the knackered ones would be
worth anything. Need a skip anyway 'cos of the bags of dross....

Also (truth be told), I'm way too lazy to advertise stuff like that
(I'll try harder next time).

Weighed the rubble bags - around 50kg each. Based on around 65kg for
each flag I'm well in a 3 ton (tonne?) limit (even with the Alba hi-fi
thrown in - there's nothing in them... unless it's a tower system with
twin cassettes / hi-speed dubbing and a smoked glass door, in which
case I'd have that for the spare room, obviously).

If the bottom falls out of the skip when it's collected I'll post back
(with photo).

Ta

Mark

I am today formal, so I weigh you. Bill[_11_] Ponds 0 18-11-2007 06:31 PM
never weigh respectively while you're ruling in charge of a unlikely shelf Rasheed Agha AL-Afghani Ponds 0 14-11-2007 06:30 AM
Stone Flags Jim White United Kingdom 5 28-05-2004 01:09 PM
how much does a yard of loam weigh thuff Lawns 2 01-10-2003 01:31 AM
Advice Wtd Laying Flags Skint4sure United Kingdom 1 09-07-2003 09:22 PM