Old 02-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Registered User

Location: North West England
Default is it worth having a garden designer?

My garden is about 30 ft long x 20 ft - with a garage and a path down the west facing side. I never know what to do with it - I'm retired now and heavy work is getting hard. Should I get a landscape gardener in just to sort things out - how much will it cost - or I was going to find some agricultural college student/s to give me some advice. What do you think?
Old 03-09-2003, 09:32 AM
pied piper

s.com...
--
jayjay

save your money just use your imagination

Old 03-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Stuart Meier

We had one. Waste of £200. Didn't use a single suggestion of his - he was
too prima-donna, ignored our thoughts entirely. But I'm sure there are good
ones out there.

--
Stuart
"pied piper" wrote in message
news

s.com...

Old 03-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Tumbleweed

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
My garden is about 30 ft long x 20 ft - with a garage and a path down
the west facing side. I never know what to do with it - I'm retired
now and heavy work is getting hard. Should I get a landscape gardener
in just to sort things out - how much will it cost - or I was going
to find some agricultural college student/s to give me some advice.
What do you think?
--

How about getting a book or two to start with, to see if any 'ready made'
designs catch your fancy, then contacting local landscape garneders to

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 03-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
My garden is about 30 ft long x 20 ft - with a garage and a path down
the west facing side. I never know what to do with it - I'm retired
now and heavy work is getting hard. Should I get a landscape gardener
in just to sort things out - how much will it cost - or I was going
to find some agricultural college student/s to give me some advice.
What do you think?

I think that if you don't know what sort of garden you want, you might
consider just leaving it as is and killing off all signs of growth with
glyphosate as soon as you see any green anywhere.
Why waste money on a landscape gardener?

Franz

Old 04-09-2003, 04:02 PM
JennyC

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
My garden is about 30 ft long x 20 ft - with a garage and a path

down
the west facing side. I never know what to do with it - I'm

retired
now and heavy work is getting hard. Should I get a landscape

gardener
in just to sort things out - how much will it cost - or I was

going
to find some agricultural college student/s to give me some advice.
What do you think?
jayjay

All depends on whether you wish to become a gardener or not :~))

If you do then some advice may be a good thing.

If not then you'd be better of spending you money of someone to come
in a mow the grass for you.............

Jenny

Old 07-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Shelley T

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:34:03 GMT, jayjay
wrote:

My garden is about 30 ft long x 20 ft - with a garage and a path down
the west facing side. I never know what to do with it - I'm retired
now and heavy work is getting hard. Should I get a landscape gardener
in just to sort things out - how much will it cost - or I was going
to find some agricultural college student/s to give me some advice.
What do you think?
--
jayjay

My mother has been a very keen gardener all her life, in fact I got my
love of gardens from her. She has recently found hers getting too much
for her, and sought advice from someone regarding making it easier for
her to manage. The person she got in actually did the hard landscaping
and moved a lot of her plants for her.

She is very happy with the results, though I'm afraid I don;t know how
much it cost. Why don't you try getting a few quotes?

Shelley

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
DaveDay34

My garden is about 30 ft long x 20 ft - with a garage and a path down
the west facing side. I never know what to do with it - I'm retired
now and heavy work is getting hard. Should I get a landscape gardener
in just to sort things out - how much will it cost - or I was going
to find some agricultural college student/s to give me some advice.
What do you think?
--

You don't say where you are. Cost of advice/plans/drawings. etc. all depends
on the skill of the person giving the advice, where you live in the country

Basically, if you just get a sketch done, it's going to cost less than a
'proper' drawing, which in turn will be less than a coloured drawing.
Isometric (and other fancy views) of your planned garden will also cost more.

If you need any more advice, just mail me.

Dave.