Old 04-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Janet & Tim Costidell

Default Growing tomatoes in the winter?

Has anyone done this? My boss wants us (myself and colleague) to grow
tomatoes in the greenhouse for him over the winter. We have good heating in
there, and sodium lighting. Has anyone attempted this before, if so, how do
we do it?

TIA

Old 05-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Janet & Tim Costidell"
contains these words:

Has anyone done this? My boss wants us (myself and colleague) to grow
tomatoes in the greenhouse for him over the winter. We have good heating in
there, and sodium lighting. Has anyone attempted this before, if so, how do
we do it?

/\
Hmmm. Somewhere / \ up there I answered a similar query.
¯||¯
To get good results you have to fool the plants into a belief that it is
summer. The lighting should be daylight bulbs, I don't think sodium
light would be suitable.

'Daylight' hours should slowly be increased until the plants have good
trusses, and then the 'daylight' hours should slowly be reduced.

The ripening of tomatoes is triggered by the shortening days after midsummer.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 05-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Janet & Tim Costidell"
contains these words:

Old 05-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Mr Blue Skye

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Janet & Tim Costidell"
contains these words:

[...]

Sodium lighting works just fine (high pressure sodium)
MBS

Old 05-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Mike Lyle

"Mr Blue Skye" wrote in message ...
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Janet & Tim Costidell"
contains these words:

Has anyone done this? My boss wants us (myself and colleague) to grow
tomatoes in the greenhouse for him over the winter. We have good

heating in there, and sodium lighting. [...]

To get good results you have to fool the plants into a belief that it is
summer. The lighting should be daylight bulbs, I don't think sodium
light would be suitable.

[...]

Sodium lighting works just fine (high pressure sodium)

That's fascinating. My immediate reaction was the same as Rusty's:
without knowledge of the subject, the sodium spectrum didn't sound
plant-friendly at all (it's certainly not map-reader friendly!). Does
this mean that *all* plants, *all* the time, don't need the full
Richard Of York deal? I wonder what the implications would be for
insect-pollination. Information, please.

I'm also interested to know, Blue Skye, why you have that kind of
lighting in the greenhouse. What are the advantages?

Mike.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Middleton/Walker

"Mr Blue Skye" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

If this is so why do my tomatoes start ripen in late May to early June when
the days are still getting longer?

Harold W.

Old 05-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Mr. Blue Skye did say "high pressure Sodium lamp". High pressure Sodium
lamps contain a few drops of Mercury. This vapourises when the lamp has
warmed up, and produces the typical Mercury spectrum in addition to the
single yellow line-pair of the Sodium. That is what gives the light from
those lamps its characteristic blue colour.Some of the the lines of the
Mercury spectrum are in the regions (more than one photo-reaction is
involved) required for photosynthesis to occur.

[snip]

Franz

Old 05-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Janet & Tim Costidell"
contains these words:

Has anyone done this? My boss wants us (myself and colleague) to grow
tomatoes in the greenhouse for him over the winter. We have good

heating in
there, and sodium lighting. Has anyone attempted this before, if so,

how do
we do it?

/\
Hmmm. Somewhere / \ up there I answered a similar query.
¯||¯
To get good results you have to fool the plants into a belief that it is
summer. The lighting should be daylight bulbs, I don't think sodium
light would be suitable.

Sodium light is totally ineffective for promoting photosynthesis. Mercury
light has a couple of lines in the spectral regions involved in this
process. A "High pressure Sodium lamp" contains a drop of Mercury. This is
what gives it the characteristic blue colour which swamps the yellow of the
Sodium doublet after the lamp has warmed up.

Franz

Old 05-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...

[...]
[...]

Sodium lighting works just fine (high pressure sodium)

That's fascinating. My immediate reaction was the same as Rusty's:
without knowledge of the subject, the sodium spectrum didn't sound
plant-friendly at all [...]
Information, please.

Mr. Blue Skye did say "high pressure Sodium lamp". High pressure Sodium
lamps contain a few drops of Mercury. This vapourises when the lamp has
warmed up, and produces the typical Mercury spectrum in addition to the
single yellow line-pair of the Sodium. That is what gives the light from
those lamps its characteristic blue colour.Some of the the lines of the
Mercury spectrum are in the regions (more than one photo-reaction is
involved) required for photosynthesis to occur.

[snip]

Thanks: I didn't know about high-pressure ones with mercury vapour,
and assumed simply a yellow-to-orange light.

I take it, then, that the advantages are low energy consumption and
durability.

Mike.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
m...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...

[...]
[...]

[...]

I have a feeling that they are actually somewhat outdated, with the advent
of a fluorescent lamp whose spectral output has been designed specifically
with horticultural usage in mind.

Franz

Old 05-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Colin Malsingh

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:44:33 +0100, "Janet & Tim Costidell"
wrote:

Has anyone done this? My boss wants us (myself and colleague) to grow
tomatoes in the greenhouse for him over the winter. We have good heating in
there, and sodium lighting. Has anyone attempted this before, if so, how do
we do it?

In short, yes provided you get the day-length and the warmth ok.

A colleague at work grew a tomato plant on the windowsill next to his
desk. It really started to annoy his boss, so instead of ditching it
in the autumn, he kept it going.

It continued to grow and produce tomatoes all through the winter.

Provided you keep your greenhouse watered and make a decision on your
lighting (see other posts too numerous to mention!) you may well be
ok.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 05-09-2003, 10:12 PM
PA

"Janet & Tim Costidell" wrote in message
Has anyone done this? My boss wants us (myself and colleague) to grow
tomatoes in the greenhouse for him over the winter. We have good heating

in
there, and sodium lighting. Has anyone attempted this before, if so, how

do
we do it?

TIA

you might want to do a search on Hydroponics,
seem a lot of it done under HPS lamps.

Paul

Old 05-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"PA" wrote in message

"Janet & Tim Costidell" wrote in

message
Has anyone done this? My boss wants us (myself and colleague) to grow
tomatoes in the greenhouse for him over the winter. We have good

heating
in
there, and sodium lighting. Has anyone attempted this before, if so,

how
do
we do it?

TIA

you might want to do a search on Hydroponics,
seem a lot of it done under HPS lamps.

Vast numbers of sedlings of all sorts are raised commercially in this way.
(The horticultural equivalent of factory farming)

Franz

Old 06-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Middleton/Walker" contains these words:

The ripening of tomatoes is triggered by the shortening days after

midsummer.///////////////////////////////

If this is so why do my tomatoes start ripen in late May to early June when
the days are still getting longer?

Harold W.

I thought you - - - oh, as you were, Walker, not Wilson.

Pass, on your question. However, I'd guess that you'll see a rapid
acceleration in ripening after midsummer's day.

Old 06-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Mr. Blue Skye did say "high pressure Sodium lamp".

/snip/

Second time around.....