Old 29-09-2003, 12:32 PM
The Flying Hamster

Default Lidl garden shredder

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:04:42 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades wrote:
The message et
from The Flying Hamster contains
these words:

Major projects before the winter, harvest the apple tree (possibly
cider apples), prune the plum and apple.

Apple, fine. plum trees don't take kindly to pruning, and sulk.

Yup, been picking that up from this group and some of the books we've
been going through. However the tree is in desparate need of some
pruning to remove some crossing branches and dead wood. Slow, gentle
and plenty of care. There's also a plum sapling coming up near the
fruit bearing tree so if the older one doesn't recover from the
pruning there's hope for the future

[...]
next year while I get on with planning the third shed and terracing
for the slope (any hints on where to find good guides on low retaining
walls gratefully received

Where you are I'd guess you have a good supply of stone?

There's a small supply in the field already, though I think I need to
use some of that to clean up the existing walls. Doubly so now as I
can actually reach them after hacking the brambles back (photos once
I've got broadband back). We've also discovered another apple tree
against the back wall.

It's tempting
to cme and visit you and give you a short course in dry stone walling.
Let me know when a few batches of wine and beer have been
molished...........

Wine is on the go, beer will possibly be going on this week though I'm
getting new toys for the molishing of cider so I may play with those
first. In between marking out the first veg patch and starting to dig
it over of course.

--
The Flying Hamster http://www.korenwolf.net/
To know recursion, you must first know recursion.

Old 29-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message et
from The Flying Hamster contains
these words:

Apple, fine. plum trees don't take kindly to pruning, and sulk.

Yup, been picking that up from this group and some of the books we've
been going through. However the tree is in desparate need of some
pruning to remove some crossing branches and dead wood. Slow, gentle
and plenty of care. There's also a plum sapling coming up near the
fruit bearing tree so if the older one doesn't recover from the
pruning there's hope for the future

However, you may find it is rootstock of a different variety of plum.

[...]
next year while I get on with planning the third shed and terracing
for the slope (any hints on where to find good guides on low retaining
walls gratefully received

Where you are I'd guess you have a good supply of stone?

There's a small supply in the field already, though I think I need to
use some of that to clean up the existing walls. Doubly so now as I
can actually reach them after hacking the brambles back (photos once
I've got broadband back). We've also discovered another apple tree
against the back wall.

_||_
Try looking \ / thataway, with a spade.
\/
It's tempting
to cme and visit you and give you a short course in dry stone walling.
Let me know when a few batches of wine and beer have been
molished...........

Wine is on the go, beer will possibly be going on this week though I'm
getting new toys for the molishing of cider so I may play with those
first.

Just trying some nearly-finished tea wine. Molished labels for it -
calling it Woozybooz. Next batch will be Thea horizontalis.

In between marking out the first veg patch and starting to dig
it over of course.

I think I'll hang fire until that's out of the way innit.

Me oomeback are playing up.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 02-10-2003, 03:02 PM
The Flying Hamster

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:23:24 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades wrote:
The message et
from The Flying Hamster contains
these words:

[...]
and plenty of care. There's also a plum sapling coming up near the
fruit bearing tree so if the older one doesn't recover from the
pruning there's hope for the future

However, you may find it is rootstock of a different variety of plum.

Possibly, worst case we decide we don't like it at which point it
becomes food for the fire in the lounge

[...]
In between marking out the first veg patch and starting to dig
it over of course.

I think I'll hang fire until that's out of the way innit.
Me oomeback are playing up.

I don't blame, you I'm not exactly looking forward to the job
though I do need to get the hands caloused up so they're in a fit
state for chainmaille molishing.

--
The Flying Hamster http://www.korenwolf.net/
"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with
Old 02-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message et
from The Flying Hamster contains
these words:

and plenty of care. There's also a plum sapling coming up near the
fruit bearing tree so if the older one doesn't recover from the
pruning there's hope for the future

However, you may find it is rootstock of a different variety of plum.

Possibly, worst case we decide we don't like it at which point it
becomes food for the fire in the lounge

Nooooooooooooooooo! Especially if there is any bulk to the trunk. I'll
ohl it from you for molishing gnustocks!

[...]
In between marking out the first veg patch and starting to dig
it over of course.

I think I'll hang fire until that's out of the way innit.
Me oomeback are playing up.

I don't blame, you I'm not exactly looking forward to the job
though I do need to get the hands caloused up so they're in a fit
state for chainmaille molishing.

I thought you did that with special pliers?

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 07-10-2003, 04:02 PM
The Flying Hamster

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:44:01 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades wrote:
The message et
from The Flying Hamster contains
these words:
Possibly, worst case we decide we don't like it at which point it
becomes food for the fire in the lounge

Nooooooooooooooooo! Especially if there is any bulk to the trunk. I'll
ohl it from you for molishing gnustocks!

I'll bear you in mind

[...]
I don't blame, you I'm not exactly looking forward to the job
though I do need to get the hands caloused up so they're in a fit
state for chainmaille molishing.

I thought you did that with special pliers?

Nope, just a bog standard small set of needle nose pliers and yer
basic stanley pliers+cutters (with optional hole blown in cutting edge
caused by cutting a live 30A loop).

--
The Flying Hamster http://www.korenwolf.net/
Don't confuse an open mind with a hole in the head! - Andreas Mattern
Old 29-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
Ian wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone any views or experience of the Parkside garden shredder
that Lidl has on offer this week for 79.99? Seems to be quite a
powerful model for a cheap price.

Yes I have, don't bother!
We bought one of these, and the fist decent sized stick we put in it
came flying out of the side of the machine!
Basically the inside is only plastic, no metal sheath, and it couldn't
take the impact. Luckily, it came out the side _away_ from the
operator! Also, the safety catch was badly glued and came away, so we
couldn't even get it to work till we took it to bits and reglued it!

I guess if you're only ever going to shred privet trimmings it might be
okay, but anything remotely tough I wouldn't recommend.

Of course, we might have just been unlucky, but it seems with Shredders
you get what you pay for.

Regards

Herald
Are we talking about the same shredder? I bought a Florabest FLH2500/7 silent shredder from LIDL last September to deal with a huge pile of Holm Oak branches after a 'crown raising' of a 200yr old tree. I had been quoted £300 to remove the branches, and decided to use the timber above 2" diameter for fuel, and buy this economical shredder to deal with the rest, not caring if it 'died' after the process. In fact it coped with everything I stuffed into it, and I was quite cruel... Large chunks of hardwood to the throat limit, some of it dead & dry. All I would say is take off the end plate (4 Allen screws) and grease the bearing there if you punish it hard for days like I did.

Anyhow it is still alive and well, and has been eating pruned apple branches & other garden debris this week. A tough & useful bit of kit. Much better & quieter than the Alco machine I had (& broke) before.

Regards,

Terry Gee

When is a shredder not a shredder - when it's a crusher! Dave United Kingdom 1 11-09-2006 09:11 AM
Packaging Stupidity. Was: Lidl's seeds Amos E Wolfe United Kingdom 25 25-02-2004 05:38 PM
Packaging Stupidity. Was: Lidl's seeds Amos E Wolfe United Kingdom 0 18-02-2004 05:02 AM
Lidl's seeds David Hill United Kingdom 9 15-02-2004 09:29 PM
Cheap and interesting seeds in Lidl Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 09-02-2004 03:37 PM