Old 10-09-2003, 02:51 AM
Xebug

Default Horseradish

We have a fair bit of horseradish coming through in our garden. Does anybody
have any tips on getting rid of it? Will the stuff on the lawn go away
eventually if it just keeps getting mowed?

I've tried making sauce out of it, but I can only eat so much beef....

X.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Julian Mamo

"Xebug" wrote in message
We have a fair bit of horseradish coming through in our garden. Does

anybody
have any tips on getting rid of it? Will the stuff on the lawn go away
eventually if it just keeps getting mowed?

I've tried making sauce out of it, but I can only eat so much beef....

X.

Poison it with salt, not much else you would care to handle is much good.
You could blast it off the face of the earth or put up with it under some
failure to distinguish what order you come in within the food chain. I do
for peace and convenience sake recommend salt.
Good luck
Julian

Old 10-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:25:56 +0100, Xebug wrote:

We have a fair bit of horseradish coming through in our garden. Does anybody
have any tips on getting rid of it? Will the stuff on the lawn go away
eventually if it just keeps getting mowed?

I've tried making sauce out of it, but I can only eat so much beef....

X.

Try it in a whipped-cream sauce with fish, such as trout or salmon.
Or freshly grated with a cold-meat platter or salad. Or finely grated and
mixed in with mashed potatos. That should use some more up.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Xebug

"Julian Mamo" wrote in message

"Xebug" wrote in message
We have a fair bit of horseradish coming through in our garden. Does

anybody
have any tips on getting rid of it? Will the stuff on the lawn go away
eventually if it just keeps getting mowed?

I've tried making sauce out of it, but I can only eat so much beef....

X.

Poison it with salt, not much else you would care to handle is much good.
You could blast it off the face of the earth or put up with it under some
failure to distinguish what order you come in within the food chain. I do
for peace and convenience sake recommend salt.
Good luck
Julian

Thanks, will give it a go.

X.

Old 10-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Xebug

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:25:56 +0100, Xebug wrote:

We have a fair bit of horseradish coming through in our garden. Does

anybody
have any tips on getting rid of it? Will the stuff on the lawn go away
eventually if it just keeps getting mowed?

I've tried making sauce out of it, but I can only eat so much beef....

X.

Try it in a whipped-cream sauce with fish, such as trout or salmon.
Or freshly grated with a cold-meat platter or salad. Or finely grated and
mixed in with mashed potatos. That should use some more up.

--
Tim.

Sounds lovely.

I'll concentrate on eradicating it from the garden, but the neighbouring
recreation ground has tons of it growing. They're much bigger plants as
they've been left to grow unnattended, and there's no weedkiller allowed on
them as it's a children's play area, so they're perfect for culinary use!!!

Regards,

X.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Xebug" writes:

| I'll concentrate on eradicating it from the garden, but the neighbouring
| recreation ground has tons of it growing. They're much bigger plants as
| they've been left to grow unnattended, and there's no weedkiller allowed on
| them as it's a children's play area, so they're perfect for culinary use!!!

Due to the poxious Countryside Act, it is now a heinous crime to
dig up any part of them. Try to avoid being spotted by some
vindictively legalistic git.

Incidentally, very old plants aren't ideal for culinary use, unless
they have been partially dug up a year or so back; you really want
fairly young roots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Sacha

in article , Xebug at
wrote on 10/9/03 11:33 am:

[...]

Hmmmm, well someone might like to find out what Horseradish will do to
childrens' skin and eyes if they fall into it, rub against it. I don't know
but I wouldn't like to try it out myself! Horseradish is hard to eliminate,
IME and I do remember some time ago, a new gardener asking if he should
accept some from a friend who had made a 'generous offer' or WTTE. IIRC, we
all said he'd find the friend handing it over and running like hell in the
opposite direction! ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 10-09-2003, 01:12 PM
bigboard

Sacha wrote:

Hmmmm, well someone might like to find out what Horseradish will do to
childrens' skin and eyes if they fall into it, rub against it.

Absolutely nothing. Unless you've got tunnelling children with
prosthetic grater foreheads.

Old 10-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:25:56 +0100, Xebug wrote:

We have a fair bit of horseradish coming through in our garden. Does anybody
have any tips on getting rid of it? Will the stuff on the lawn go away
eventually if it just keeps getting mowed?
I've tried making sauce out of it, but I can only eat so much beef....
X.

According to a German web site I just found, they prefer moist, loose soil.
So if you can't kill the stuff (good luck) then you could make a barrier
around it, say dig a trench around 2 feet deep and fill it with sand and or
pack it really hard with caly, possibly a narrow-meshed wire gauze to act
as a physical barrier. It might just slow them down enough.
I know it has a reputation here of being an unbeatable plant.

Try cutting it right down and covering with a thick mulch -say a piece of
carpet. Even the Austrians and Germans (great horseraddish lovers) don't
seem to have any convincing methods of getting rid of it.
Some have seen success by just moving it over with the lawnmower - it
doesn't sem to get rid of it but it can help stop it spreading.
Try Roundup.

Another culinary use is "Apfelkren" - applesauce with horseradish - it
goes superbly with pork chops or roast pork, also turkey etc. Mix it to
taste.

Old 10-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:25:54 +0100, Sacha wrote:

in article , Xebug at
wrote on 10/9/03 11:33 am:

[...]

It's only the root that's burny and even then only when freshly broken or
grated. it quickly loses its pungency when exposed to air. It's sold in
supermarkets here(Austria) as fresh whole roots, normally not wrapped.
The leaves are pretty innoccuous.

Old 10-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Xebug

"Sacha" wrote in message

Hmmmm, well someone might like to find out what Horseradish will do to
childrens' skin and eyes if they fall into it, rub against it.

Well, I used to play in the very same recreation ground when I was a kid,
without any problems. We particularly liked stripping the leaves and
whipping each other with the long stalks, usually wearing nothing but shorts
and t-shirt.

It could be that a lot of kids these days are allergic to everything. Don't
quite know why this is, probably a mixture of paranoia and dettol that
prevents exposure to anything remotely biological.

X.

Old 10-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Xebug

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Xebug" writes:

| I'll concentrate on eradicating it from the garden, but the

neighbouring
| recreation ground has tons of it growing. They're much bigger plants as
| they've been left to grow unnattended, and there's no weedkiller

allowed on
| them as it's a children's play area, so they're perfect for culinary

use!!!

Due to the poxious Countryside Act, it is now a heinous crime to
dig up any part of them. Try to avoid being spotted by some
vindictively legalistic git.

rolls eyes

I think my digging them up would be more than welcome to the other
villagers, but thanks for the heads up, I didn't know this.

Incidentally, very old plants aren't ideal for culinary use, unless
they have been partially dug up a year or so back; you really want
fairly young roots.

I thought the larger roots would be milder, the american varieties are huge
and they're a lot milder.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Xebug

[...]

Well so far I've found that mowing stops it from reaching any king of
size/thickness, but it's still pretty persistent. We have thick, clayey
ground here. I think the best way might just be a combination of pulling up
as much root as possible and treating with salt or roundup. We'll be
mulching a lot of the ground anyway, so provided none goes to seed, we'll
*hopefully* get rid of most of it.

X.

Old 10-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:21:18 +0100, Xebug wrote:

Well so far I've found that mowing stops it from reaching any king of
size/thickness, but it's still pretty persistent. We have thick, clayey
ground here. I think the best way might just be a combination of pulling up
as much root as possible and treating with salt or roundup. We'll be
mulching a lot of the ground anyway, so provided none goes to seed, we'll
*hopefully* get rid of most of it.

all I can say is "god luck, mate" ;-)

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 08:56 PM
Help, re horseradish karen United Kingdom 7 06-05-2003 11:20 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM