Old 10-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Horseradish

The message
from "Xebug" contains these words:

We have a fair bit of horseradish coming through in our garden. Does anybody
have any tips on getting rid of it? Will the stuff on the lawn go away
eventually if it just keeps getting mowed?

Dig some out and I'll accept it with thanks...................

I've tried making sauce out of it, but I can only eat so much beef....

Tried cooking it like parsnips? Surely you must have *SOMEONE* you don't
want to come to dinner again?

--
Frère Jaques
They knocked the Bell down and erected a charade of pops.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Hmmmm, well someone might like to find out what Horseradish will do to
childrens' skin and eyes if they fall into it, rub against it. I don't know
but I wouldn't like to try it out myself! Horseradish is hard to eliminate,
IME and I do remember some time ago, a new gardener asking if he should
accept some from a friend who had made a 'generous offer' or WTTE. IIRC, we
all said he'd find the friend handing it over and running like hell in the
opposite direction! ;-)

I was going to grow it in a plastic 20 gallon drum full of compost.

Old 10-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:25:56 +0100, Xebug wrote:

We have a fair bit of horseradish

Try it in a whipped-cream sauce with fish, such as trout or salmon.
Or freshly grated with a cold-meat platter or salad. Or finely grated and
mixed in with mashed potatos. That should use some more up.

Or a salad of beetroot, horseradish and cream. Don't add the cream
until immediately before you serve it or the colour looks dreadful :-)

Janet

Old 11-09-2003, 07:10 AM
Thomas Prufer

wrote:

We have a fair bit of horseradish coming through in our garden. Does anybody
have any tips on getting rid of it? Will the stuff on the lawn go away
eventually if it just keeps getting mowed?

As I've been considered which part of the garden I'd like to have
taken over, I've been googling horseradish a bit. One recommendation
is to eat the leaves as salad, using those that are 3" and smaller.
Continually removing the leaves weakens the plant, so the poster said,
and eventually it might weaken the root. Mowing would be much the same
thing...

Anyway, an everlasting ineradicable salad is less of a nuisance than
an everlasting ineradicable condiment, I suppose.

Thomas Prufer
Old 11-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Xebug

wrote:

We have a fair bit of horseradish coming through in our garden. Does

anybody
have any tips on getting rid of it? Will the stuff on the lawn go away
eventually if it just keeps getting mowed?

As I've been considered which part of the garden I'd like to have
taken over, I've been googling horseradish a bit. One recommendation
is to eat the leaves as salad, using those that are 3" and smaller.
Continually removing the leaves weakens the plant, so the poster said,
and eventually it might weaken the root. Mowing would be much the same
thing...

Anyway, an everlasting ineradicable salad is less of a nuisance than
an everlasting ineradicable condiment, I suppose.

Thomas Prufer

you can eat the leaves???

never heard that before..

X.

Old 11-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Gary Woods

"Xebug" wrote:

you can eat the leaves???

You can eat the young leaves but mine, at least are pretty darn hot!
And I _like_ hot stuff.

To sort of piggyback on the rest of the thread- I'm sure you can kill HR
with a heavy mulch, but you'd have to be attentive and cover up anything
that breaks through.

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 08:56 PM
Help, re horseradish karen United Kingdom 7 06-05-2003 11:20 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM