Old 10-09-2003, 09:26 PM
pronoun

Default Electric Soil Warming

Is it feasible to control the heat with a dimmer switch?

Old 11-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Edwin Spector

pronoun wrote:

Is it feasible to control the heat with a dimmer switch?

Not tried it, but I would expect it should work. Just check that your heater
element doesn't exceed the dimmer's rating.

Edwin
Bath.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:42 PM
pronoun

"pronoun" wrote in message
Is it feasible to control the heat with a dimmer switch?

Thanks for the replies--sounds like it's worth a try.

Old 11-09-2003, 11:56 PM
David Hill

"...... Is it feasible to control the heat with a dimmer switch? ....."

Should work after a fashion, but would not be able to take into account
changes in the ambient air temperature caused by sunshine etc. so you would
not be able to be very accurate.
I should think that unless you are going to use a very short cable then the
extra cost of a thermostat would pay for itself in time.

What I cant understand is why a Mechanical time clock which will switch
lights(or other appliances) on or off wont work with florescent lights.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 12-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
"...... Is it feasible to control the heat with a dimmer switch? ....."

Should work after a fashion, but would not be able to take into account
changes in the ambient air temperature caused by sunshine etc. so you would
not be able to be very accurate.
I should think that unless you are going to use a very short cable then the
extra cost of a thermostat would pay for itself in time.

What I cant understand is why a Mechanical time clock which will switch
lights(or other appliances) on or off wont work with florescent lights.

Will it not? I can vaguely understand why a dimmer switch won't work
with a fluorescent light, but we have a time switch on our aquarium to
switch from a 'daylight' fluorescent to a 'moonlight' fluorescent. And a
fluorescent bulb in one of our rooms is controlled by an elderly
mechanical ex-street light time switch. So what am I not understanding
(it wasn't me who set up the above, so I don't really know what I'm
talking about ;-) )

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 14-09-2003, 12:24 AM
David Hill

".....What I cant understand is why a Mechanical time clock which will
switch lights(or other appliances) on or off wont work with florescent
lights....."

".......It will/does work, just that the contacts in a time switch don't
like the initial current surge, and can also ark when switching off. ....."
Sorry but wont work , and checking the pack says "Will not work with
Florescent lights"

and I wanted it for adding light to growing plants on the propagating bench
during the winter.
Which could be a fire hazard.

--
David Hill