Old 11-09-2003, 09:03 PM
ned

Default Betula pendula ......

I have a Kilmarnock willow (Salix caprea pendula) which when in leaf
is a dense beehive shape. Out of leaf it has a very contorted central
branch system which puts on top growth every year. I mention all this
just to make the point that this other tree I have, is not a
Kilmarnock willow!

Its trunk is what I would call, typical silver birch, with whitish,
thin paper like bark which splits and peels in horizontal bands.
It is at least 15 years old.
It is five feet high, with a large flat top like a table.
In profile it can only be described as a 'capital T' with thin
trailing branches which hang down to the ground.
It has small serrated deltoid leaves. It carries small catkins in
spring.
It shows no sign of having a grafted top.
Does this describe a particular Betula pendula variety?
..... And if so, ........ which?

--
ned

Old 11-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Rod

"ned" wrote in message
[...]

Young's Weeping Birch? B. pendula 'Youngii' iirc.

Rod

Old 12-09-2003, 12:54 AM
ned

Rod wrote:
"ned" wrote in message

snip

Its trunk is what I would call, typical silver birch, with whitish,
thin paper like bark which splits and peels in horizontal bands.
It is at least 15 years old.
It is five feet high, with a large flat top like a table.
In profile it can only be described as a 'capital T' with thin
trailing branches which hang down to the ground.
It has small serrated deltoid leaves. It carries small catkins in
spring.
It shows no sign of having a grafted top.
Does this describe a particular Betula pendula variety?
.... And if so, ........ which?

--
ned

Young's Weeping Birch? B. pendula 'Youngii' iirc.

Thanks Rod.
I did a Google on that and came up with, I think it was 11 pictures,
and I have to say none were quite as table topped as mine. But, yours
is the best offer I've had so far. ;-)
Thanks for your response.

--
ned

Old 12-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Rod

"ned" wrote in message ...

Thanks Rod.
I did a Google on that and came up with, I think it was 11 pictures,
and I have to say none were quite as table topped as mine. But, yours
is the best offer I've had so far. ;-)
Thanks for your response.

The small size gave me some pause for thought - I would have expected Young's Birch to be 3 or 4 times that size at
that age but much depends on growing conditions.

Rod

Old 13-09-2003, 12:07 AM
ned

Rod wrote:
"ned" wrote in message

Thanks Rod.
I did a Google on that and came up with, I think it was 11

pictures,
and I have to say none were quite as table topped as mine. But,

yours
is the best offer I've had so far. ;-)
Thanks for your response.

The small size gave me some pause for thought - I would have

expected
Young's Birch to be 3 or 4 times that size at that age but much
depends on growing conditions.

I think birch in general can make out pretty well in poor ground - and
I wouldn't say my ground is poor, but I guess trees must be subject to
individual characteristics like everything else, else they would all
look identical.
Plus, it probably came from the local garden centre - and I've seen
some oddities up there! ;-)
I'll stick a label on it - "Betula pendula youngii parvus", .... if
Nick McLaren will allow 'parvus' as latin for 'small'. ;-)
Can't you just hear the howls about indiscriminate naming! :-)
Never mind. I'm the only one who will see the label.

--
ned

Old 13-09-2003, 09:42 AM
David Rance

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, ned wrote:

I'll stick a label on it - "Betula pendula youngii parvus", .... if
Nick McLaren will allow 'parvus' as latin for 'small'. ;-)

Should be "parva" as betula is feminine. ;-)

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 13-09-2003, 10:32 PM
ned

David Rance wrote:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, ned wrote:

I'll stick a label on it - "Betula pendula youngii parvus", .... if
Nick McLaren will allow 'parvus' as latin for 'small'. ;-)

Should be "parva" as betula is feminine. ;-)

Good on yer.
....... quickly runs out to change label before Nick sees it.
;-)

--
ned