Old 16-05-2004, 10:14 PM
SusieThompson

Default Unhappy betula pendula

We planted out our pot grown betula pendula just two days ago. We
soaked the root ball, dug the right sized hole, popped in some blood
fish and bone to give it a good start, firmed it in and watered it
thoroughly. Yesterday evening a lot of the leaves had started going
brown on just one side of the small tree. This evening it looks as if
more leaves on the other side are following suit. We've been keeping it
watered and can't think of anything else to do, other than just wait and
hope. Can anybody give some advice, please?

Thanks
Susie
--
Susie Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to
Old 16-05-2004, 11:28 PM
David Hill

Where was this tree before you planted it out?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Kay Easton

In article , SusieThompson
writes
We planted out our pot grown betula pendula just two days ago. We
soaked the root ball, dug the right sized hole, popped in some blood
fish and bone to give it a good start, firmed it in and watered it
thoroughly. Yesterday evening a lot of the leaves had started going
brown on just one side of the small tree. This evening it looks as if
more leaves on the other side are following suit. We've been keeping it
watered and can't think of anything else to do, other than just wait and
hope. Can anybody give some advice, please?

Probably too late, but bearing in mind the weather we've been having, a
sunshade would have been a good idea.
Ad frequent misting of the leaves with water, which of course you
couldn't do if the sun was on it.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 17-05-2004, 09:27 PM
SusieThompson

In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , SusieThompson
writes
We planted out our pot grown betula pendula just two days ago. We
soaked the root ball, dug the right sized hole, popped in some blood
fish and bone to give it a good start, firmed it in and watered it
thoroughly. Yesterday evening a lot of the leaves had started going
brown on just one side of the small tree. This evening it looks as if
more leaves on the other side are following suit. We've been keeping it
watered and can't think of anything else to do, other than just wait and
hope. Can anybody give some advice, please?

Probably too late, but bearing in mind the weather we've been having, a
sunshade would have been a good idea.
Ad frequent misting of the leaves with water, which of course you
couldn't do if the sun was on it.

The young tree had been grown on in a large pot, and was somewhat root
bound by the time we planted it out. I've no idea how long it had been
in the pot. It took as year from time of purchase to planting and we
looked after it as best we could while it was still potted. We loosened
up the root ball as far as we thought was sensible, leaving as much of
the original compost on it. As the tree is taller than me, it must be
at least 6 feet, and in a fairly exposed position, the use of any kind
of sunshade is an impossibility. I'm hoping it's going to rain here
soon. I'm going out to water the garden in a moment's time, so I'll
mist the leaves every evening from now on and see if that helps (that is
any rain doesn't beat me to it!).

Thanks for the help
Regards
Susie