Old 14-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Mich

Default I enjoyed this nice hot summer - Is it me? Back to the garden at last - Is it me?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mich" wrote in message

Seriously, some people class us as north Cornwall, others SE cornwall.
Around Bodmin Moor.

Well I know Cornwall has trees growing horizontally and the grass is

always
green but I never realised the difference in the weather could be so much.

was down there at Marazion in '76 and it was certainly hot there then.

Ah! '76 was very hot, I remember it well. I was still at school in those
days and spent the summer on Plymouth Hoe sun bathing and playing tennis!

But this year has not been exceptional. In fact quite often the mist has
been down for much of the morning with the sun unable to burn it back.

As for the allotments, peas gave up completely, Runner Beans also didn't
like the heat but are now flowering well, spuds grew well but still a lot

of
slug damage on some despite using Nemaslug. Best carrots ever (Long Red
Surrey), Tomatoes doing well too, brassicas growing well although
caterpillars are rife this year. So it's some wins and some losses.

Err I havent had any of those problems g.
A few problems with tomatoes not having erratic sunshine Cucumbers coming
off four a time.
Beans running riot.
Strawberries did have a poor start , but improved.

Apples haven't been good
Onions haven't done well at all, had to give up on those.

Old 14-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mich" wrote in message ...
..
was down there at Marazion in '76 and it was certainly hot there then.

Ah! '76 was very hot, I remember it well. I was still at school in those
days and spent the summer on Plymouth Hoe sun bathing and playing tennis!

Well here it's been almost as hot (some days hotter) for certainly as long
this year too.

As for the allotments, peas gave up completely, Runner Beans also didn't
like the heat but are now flowering well, spuds grew well but still a

lot
of
slug damage on some despite using Nemaslug. Best carrots ever (Long Red
Surrey), Tomatoes doing well too, brassicas growing well although
caterpillars are rife this year. So it's some wins and some losses.

Err I havent had any of those problems g.
A few problems with tomatoes not having erratic sunshine Cucumbers coming
off four a time.
Beans running riot.
Strawberries did have a poor start , but improved.

Apples haven't been good
Onions haven't done well at all, had to give up on those.

Got good onions as normal if a little smaller than usual. Been a constant
battle to keep the strawberries alive (I grow them on humps) with watering.
As I said, just kept the beans alive and they are now flowering well. Swedes
(your turnips?) hardly grown. It's been the dryest summer I've ever known
after a very dry spring.

I must admit when I drove around down there last week, we stayed on Exmoor,
Weddon Cross, for two days and then stayed with friends near Camelford for
the remainder, the grass was very green not light brown and dead as it is
around here.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 15-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Victoria Clare

"A Troll aka Jeff Coles" wrote in
:

Did anyone else apart from LizR and myself enjoy the summer we just
had?

I became more and more depressed as I read the "Back to the garden at
last" threads. Now come on Ladies & Gentlemen!

Um, I did actually post in that thread to say I liked the summer - before
you did, in fact. Mind you, if you didn't see that post, you probably
won't see this one.

So why am I posting? I dunno!

*** confused ***

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 15-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
(Helen) writes:
| Jeff, yes I agree. Each season is blessed with good things. And now
| for a bit of personal indulgence. I will tell you the things I love
| about each season.
| Spring - Trees coming into leaf, bird song, the smell from the first
| lawn mowing.

Lawn mowing? It didn't stop raining until spring was nominally
almost over. And much the same occurred in the two previous years.
I saw one person who started mowing "on schedule" and it looked
a bit like an ineffectual attempt to rotovate his lawn!

| Summer - long days, beautiful gardens, trees clothed in their best,
| the smells of a summer evening.

This year, agreed. Not last year, though. Wet and cold :-(

| Autumn - dew on cobwebs, mist, the smell of a misty morning early, the
| trees changing colour, autumn fruits in the hedgerows.

Trees changing colour? They need frost to do that! For the past
few years, their leaves have rotted off before changing colour, due
to the wet ....

| Winter - frosty mornings, snow - lots of it (pleeease God), blue
| winter skies.

Er, where DO you live? I haven't seen a cold winter in a decade,
nor any snow worth a damn. There were a couple of short snaps last
year, but nothing to get excited about.

| Indulgence over. :-)

The prospect of 4 months of near-continual wet, the sort of cold
that gets to your bones, and continual darkness is too horrible to
contemplate it. Unfortunately, I can't avoid it :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from LizR contains these words:

And crunching over frosty grass:-) Anyone else think it's like walking
on cornflakes?

Please Miss, what are cornflakes?

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.
Old 15-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Ron Clark

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:50:13 GMT, LizR wrote:

Winter - frosty mornings, snow - lots of it (pleeease God), blue
winter skies.

And crunching over frosty grass:-) Anyone else think it's like walking on cornflakes?

The best time to give the grass a trim in the winter, too

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 15-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Trees changing colour? They need frost to do that! For the past
few years, their leaves have rotted off before changing colour, due
to the wet ....

Are you sure of that? we have autumn colours in the garden, and no frost
yet. And the last few years have seen the most beautiful colours.

The prospect of 4 months of near-continual wet, the sort of cold
that gets to your bones, and continual darkness is too horrible to
contemplate it. Unfortunately, I can't avoid it :-(

There *are* universities in other bits of the UK, you know. You don't
*have* to live in E Anglia.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 15-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Trees changing colour? They need frost to do that! For the past
few years, their leaves have rotted off before changing colour, due
to the wet ....

Are you sure of that? we have autumn colours in the garden, and no frost
yet. And the last few years have seen the most beautiful colours.

Yes, I am sure, but am happy to believe that it is very species and
location specific. I agree that I have seen some very good yellows
(especially oaks), but some of the other colours have been rather
disappointing.

The prospect of 4 months of near-continual wet, the sort of cold
that gets to your bones, and continual darkness is too horrible to
contemplate it. Unfortunately, I can't avoid it :-(

There *are* universities in other bits of the UK, you know. You don't
*have* to live in E Anglia.

Dammit, East Anglia is one of the DRIEST parts of the UK, and it isn't
far off one of the lightest parts in winter! It is the country as a
whole I am referring to :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Trees changing colour? They need frost to do that! For the past
few years, their leaves have rotted off before changing colour, due
to the wet ....

Are you sure of that? we have autumn colours in the garden, and no frost
yet. And the last few years have seen the most beautiful colours.

Yes, I am sure, but am happy to believe that it is very species and
location specific. I agree that I have seen some very good yellows
(especially oaks), but some of the other colours have been rather
disappointing.

After I posted this, I thought of Virginia Creeper and Boston Ivy which
both go an incredible red frost or no frost.

And of course there's the deep purple-red of the pear against our back
wall.

The prospect of 4 months of near-continual wet, the sort of cold
that gets to your bones, and continual darkness is too horrible to
contemplate it. Unfortunately, I can't avoid it :-(

There *are* universities in other bits of the UK, you know. You don't
*have* to live in E Anglia.

Dammit, East Anglia is one of the DRIEST parts of the UK, and it isn't
far off one of the lightest parts in winter! It is the country as a
whole I am referring to :-(

You mean - you regard Cambridge as having the *best* climate in the
UK??!!!

Ah well, it takes all sorts.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 16-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

/snippetry/
There *are* universities in other bits of the UK, you know.

Are there?

You don't
*have* to live in E Anglia.

I do. My house is stuck securely to next-door.

Old 16-09-2003, 10:23 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

You don't
*have* to live in E Anglia.

I do. My house is stuck securely to next-door.

Good point.

So is mine. Interesting feature is that next door's mains water supply
runs through our cellar. Quite an incentive for them to be nice
neighbours ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 16-09-2003, 11:32 PM
LizR

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:43:05 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from LizR contains these words:

And crunching over frosty grass:-) Anyone else think it's like walking
on cornflakes?

Please Miss, what are cornflakes?

Flocons de mais. Breakfast cereal.

Liz
Old 17-09-2003, 12:25 AM
A Troll aka Jeff Coles

--
(remove the troll to reply)

http://uk.profiles.yahoo.com/aquitanium

Always look on the bright side of life.... di do di do di doody doody do
"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.205...
"A Troll aka Jeff Coles" wrote in
:

Did anyone else apart from LizR and myself enjoy the summer we just
had?

I became more and more depressed as I read the "Back to the garden at
last" threads. Now come on Ladies & Gentlemen!

Um, I did actually post in that thread to say I liked the summer - before
you did, in fact. Mind you, if you didn't see that post, you probably
won't see this one.

So why am I posting? I dunno!

*** confused ***

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
--

Oops! sorry Victoria, you did post a positive reply, I must have been
overwhelmed by the negative agreements with the original poster!

Jeff

Old 17-09-2003, 12:26 AM
A Troll aka Jeff Coles

--
[...]

Much enjoyed wild plant Grenou[_2_] Garden Photos 2 21-04-2014 10:01 PM
Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
hot and nice Draven United Kingdom 7 05-04-2008 09:27 AM
so hot last summer what to plant this year? Gardening 2 07-01-2007 05:04 PM