Old 16-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default O/T just a thought

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Personally I use usenet more than the web.

MTAAAW. In fact, I rarely use the web.

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.
Old 16-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , shannie
writes

ok, so the sig idea wasn't the brightest idea I'd ever had :-\

No, I don't think that's the conclusion to come to at all. It is a good
idea, but it needs us all to work together. So how do we work on that
side ?

...cest la
vie...win some lose some....very interesting debate , I understand better
both sides now. Im a reformed top poster though and will continue with the
bottom posting.....just need to work on the editing ;-)

Thanks all
Shannie

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

If everyone used the same 4-line sig ("A")about below-posting, and only
threequarters of the group forgot to trim sigs and other extraneous
material, I submit that the group would be in a worse mess than it is at
the moment, m'lud.

One answer would be for half of us to post blank messages above a sig
("B")about post editing. Even then there would be terrible trouble if A
and B sig posts were out of balance and newbies were unsure which was
more important. Therefore all A and B sig users would have to sign a
contract for a minumum number of posts per week/day/hour and somebody
would have to take responsibility for arranging sickness and holiday
cover. Then there's "C", troll sigs, see below.

Janet.

NEWBIES PLEASE POST ALL MESSAGES IN CAPITALS LIKE THIS TO HELP THE HARD
OF HEARING.

Old 17-09-2003, 07:04 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

/snip/
If everyone used the same 4-line sig ("A")about below-posting, and only
threequarters of the group forgot to trim sigs and other extraneous
material, I submit that the group would be in a worse mess than it is at
the moment, m'lud.

/snap/

All the stuff above your post was an example, then?

Old 17-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

/snip/
If everyone used the same 4-line sig ("A")about below-posting, and only
threequarters of the group forgot to trim sigs and other extraneous
material, I submit that the group would be in a worse mess than it is at
the moment, m'lud.

/snap/

All the stuff above your post was an example, then?

Well done, that boy at the back :-)

Janet
Old 07-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Alan Holmes

"Peter Goddard" wrote in message
Bottom posting means putting your reply beneath a copy of the original
posting - the logical place for the convenience of people who haven't been
following the thread.
Top posting is like this ... with the original post beneath for reference.
Considerate posters will snip (delete) out parts of the original post

that
aren't relevant to their reply.

Personally I detest bottom posting since it often involves scrolling

through
reams of quoted posts and answers which I've already seen and that someone
has been too idle to snip!

In truth it really doesn't matter too much - people get worked up about

the
strangest things....

What on earth are you talking about?

If you had posted the original query at the top, I could have followed your
response!

Alan

Old 08-10-2003, 07:41 AM
Sad Sid

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
What on earth are you talking about?

If you had posted the original query at the top, I could have followed

your
response!

snip

I've just looked back at the original post and find that you have
deliberately snipped it (without saying so) to make a rather cheap and
pathetic jibe. What on earth are YOU talking about? You must gave a very
empty life.

post referred to by Alan Holmes - including the reference to original post
which he snipped:

"Bottom posting means putting your reply beneath a copy of the original
posting - the logical place for the convenience of people who haven't been
following the thread.
Top posting is like this ... with the original post beneath for reference.
Considerate posters will snip (delete) out parts of the original post that
aren't relevant to their reply.

Personally I detest bottom posting since it often involves scrolling through
reams of quoted posts and answers which I've already seen and that someone
has been too idle to snip!

In truth it really doesn't matter too much - people get worked up about the
strangest things....

"Helen" wrote in message
om...
Fine.
Ok, Please could you explain what 'top' and 'bottom' posting are

please???"

Old 16-10-2003, 12:32 AM

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:21:28 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

My own greatest dislike is for posters who add a couple of lines to the
very bottom of a vast quoted message. My current newsreader (Xnews) not
only sticks the cursor at the bottom, but complains if you post something
that is more than 60% quote. That seems like a good idea to me.

Just in case anyone cares, here's a vote for snippage.

My newsreader, Forte Agent, which has a reasonable reputation for
respecting Usenet conventions, places the cursor at the top of the
quoted material when starting a reply. I assume that this is because
that's the logical place to start when snipping irrelevant material.
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk