Old 16-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Sweet Potato

Hi,

I planted some sprouting sweet potatoes and some have produced leaves.
There are about ten plants and would like advise how to protect them during
the winter.

Rajinder

Old 17-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:

I planted some sprouting sweet potatoes and some have produced leaves.
There are about ten plants and would like advise how to protect them during
the winter.

I have done that with one, and shall be trying to overwinter it indoors.
There is no chance of doing so outside in most parts of the country,
perhaps not in any part. I don't think that I shall manage to keep
it going over the winter. but that is likely to be my fault.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Marge

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
I planted some sprouting sweet potatoes and some have produced leaves.
There are about ten plants and would like advise how to protect them

during
the winter.

I have done that with one, and shall be trying to overwinter it indoors.

Have either of you actually got a crop of sweet potatoes? Thompson & Morgan
sell slips that I fancy giving a try. But, I don't have any garden space so
I wondered if sweet potatoes could be grown in those potato barrels, or
exhibitors growing sacks (whatever they are)?

Thanks

Old 17-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Marge" writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| I planted some sprouting sweet potatoes and some have produced leaves.
| There are about ten plants and would like advise how to protect them
| during
| the winter.
|
| I have done that with one, and shall be trying to overwinter it indoors.
|
| Have either of you actually got a crop of sweet potatoes? Thompson & Morgan
| sell slips that I fancy giving a try. But, I don't have any garden space so
| I wondered if sweet potatoes could be grown in those potato barrels, or
| exhibitors growing sacks (whatever they are)?

No, and I am not even going to try. They are totally unsuitable for
the UK, and would need a HELL of a lot of plant breeding before a
variety could be grown here. They need a long, warm growing season.
This year was unusual in having more than two consecutive weeks of
warm[*] weather, and sweet potatoes really need 4+ months. They are
a problem plant even in the USA.
[*] In this context, warm = 80+ Fahrenheit during the day, hot = 100+
and very hot = 120+.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Bob Hobden

"Marge" wrote in message after...
"Nick wrote in message after Rajinder wrote...

I planted some sprouting sweet potatoes and some have produced leaves.
There are about ten plants and would like advise how to protect them

during
the winter.

I have done that with one, and shall be trying to overwinter it indoors.

Have either of you actually got a crop of sweet potatoes? Thompson &

Morgan
sell slips that I fancy giving a try. But, I don't have any garden space

so
I wondered if sweet potatoes could be grown in those potato barrels, or
exhibitors growing sacks (whatever they are)?

I planted a row of those last year on our allotment, unfortunately they
arrived a month or so too late from Marshalls but by the end of the summer
they had made tiny but unusable tubers which were riddled with slugs. I
reckon another couple of months of warm weather would be needed for a good
crop.
The plants themselves were rather nice, shiny dark green leaves low growing
and spreading, and would not look out of place in a conservatory so
planting some in pots now and growing them overwinter to be put outside in a
very sunny spot come next June might be the way to go to get the length of
season needed. Worth a try.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 17-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies and feed back. Good advice.

Thank you all.

Rajinder

Old 18-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Dwayne

I have raised them here in the U.S. When I lived in Arkansas, it wasnt any
problem. Here in Kansas, I had good luck last year. This year nothing has
grown for me, not even squash (I can hear you snickering).

Last year, after planting all the "slips" I wanted in my garden and giving
away what I could, I put some in large flower pots. When there was a
warning of frost, I put them in the garage. Finally, in December, I emptied
the pots and found one potato per pot. Not much of a showing compared to
what I got out of the garden, but something. Here it is September and I
still have twelve left in my store room. I am going to put them in pots
soon and save them for my slips next spring when it is time to put them out
again.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Give it a try.

Dwayne

Old 18-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Dwayne" writes:
| I have raised them here in the U.S. When I lived in Arkansas, it wasnt any
| problem. Here in Kansas, I had good luck last year. This year nothing has
| grown for me, not even squash (I can hear you snickering).

| Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Give it a try.

Remember that Kansas is halfway to the tropics from here. There
really isn't much point in trying to grow sweet potatoes in the UK,
as a food crop.

Any more than it is worth your effort trying to grow cloudberries.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Marge

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Any more than it is worth your effort trying to grow cloudberries.

What do cloudberries tast like, Nick? Are they worth growing ? I like
a challenge!

Old 18-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Marge" writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| Any more than it is worth your effort trying to grow cloudberries.
|
| What do cloudberries tast like, Nick? Are they worth growing ? I like
| a challenge!

I have never had them! Reports vary from the ambrosia of the
sub-arctic to something only marginally more edible than reindeer
moss. I want to try them sometime.

There should be little trouble growing them in most of the UK
(they are native, after all), but they almost certainly need a
cool location. At a wild guess, they probably prefer a poorish
acid soil and plenty of water, but I really don't have any good
evidence for that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Marge" contains these words:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Any more than it is worth your effort trying to grow cloudberries.

What do cloudberries tast like, Nick? Are they worth growing ? I like
a challenge!

I believe you can get cloudberry conserve of some sort from Ikea. Or
plant some on Rannoch Muir....

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.