Old 17-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Japanese quince

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make quince jelly from the
fruits of the Japanese quince. I never have but one of the shrubs is
absolutely laden this year. A friend and I were discussing the
possibility yesterday, but neither of us is sure! Not wishing to
poison anyone ................................:-)

Iris McCanna

--
(All outgoing messages certified virus free)

Old 17-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Barry & Iris McCanna" writes:
| Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make quince jelly from the
| fruits of the Japanese quince. I never have but one of the shrubs is
| absolutely laden this year. A friend and I were discussing the
| possibility yesterday, but neither of us is sure! Not wishing to
| poison anyone ................................:-)

Yes, and it is very good. It is not as aromatic as the true quince,
but has a lot more acid and sets a lot better.

You can also make quince jam and quince cheese (similar to the
original marmalade).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

snipped
Yes, and it is very good. It is not as aromatic as the true quince,
but has a lot more acid and sets a lot better.

You can also make quince jam and quince cheese (similar to the
original marmalade).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick,

Many thanks for your help.

Regards
Iris

Old 17-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Barry & Iris McCanna
writes
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make quince jelly from the
fruits of the Japanese quince. I never have but one of the shrubs is
absolutely laden this year. A friend and I were discussing the
possibility yesterday, but neither of us is sure! Not wishing to
poison anyone ................................:-)

Not only possible, but well worth doing! It is excellent.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 17-09-2003, 02:22 PM
JennyC

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Barry & Iris

McCanna
writes
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make quince jelly from the
fruits of the Japanese quince. I never have but one of the shrubs

is
absolutely laden this year. A friend and I were discussing the
possibility yesterday, but neither of us is sure! Not wishing to
poison anyone ................................:-)

Not only possible, but well worth doing! It is excellent.
Kay Easton

Totally agree with Kay :~)
They also make wonderful apple&quince crumble...........
Jenny

Old 17-09-2003, 03:03 PM
BAC

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make quince jelly from the
fruits of the Japanese quince. I never have but one of the shrubs is
absolutely laden this year. A friend and I were discussing the
possibility yesterday, but neither of us is sure! Not wishing to
poison anyone ................................:-)

Yes, from experience, I can certify it makes a very passable quince jelly,
and does not seem to be toxic!

Old 17-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Pickle

"BAC" wrote in message

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make quince jelly from the
fruits of the Japanese quince. I never have but one of the shrubs is
absolutely laden this year. A friend and I were discussing the
possibility yesterday, but neither of us is sure! Not wishing to
poison anyone ................................:-)

Yes, from experience, I can certify it makes a very passable quince jelly,
and does not seem to be toxic!

I've been given a load of quinces - any special tips on the quince jelly?
I've never made it before

Old 17-09-2003, 07:42 PM
BAC

"Pickle" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make quince jelly from the
fruits of the Japanese quince. I never have but one of the shrubs is
absolutely laden this year. A friend and I were discussing the
possibility yesterday, but neither of us is sure! Not wishing to
poison anyone ................................:-)

Yes, from experience, I can certify it makes a very passable quince

jelly,
and does not seem to be toxic!

I've been given a load of quinces - any special tips on the quince jelly?
I've never made it before

My experience was as the grower of the quince, donor of the fruits, and
recipient/guinea pig of the finished product, so I can't tell you how to do
it. I have a vague recollection that mention was made it was quite difficult
to get it to set, but something like Certo (?) saved the day.

No doubt jam makers will be able to supply recipes and tips.

Old 17-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Kay Easton

In article , BAC
writes

My experience was as the grower of the quince, donor of the fruits, and
recipient/guinea pig of the finished product, so I can't tell you how to do
it. I have a vague recollection that mention was made it was quite difficult
to get it to set, but something like Certo (?) saved the day.

No doubt jam makers will be able to supply recipes and tips.

My memory is: boil fruit with as little water as poss till soft, strain,
add 1 lb sugar to 1 pint juice, boil till it is jam temperature. Never
had any problem with setting.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
BAC wrote:
"Pickle" wrote in message

I've been given a load of quinces - any special tips on the quince jelly?
I've never made it before

My experience was as the grower of the quince, donor of the fruits, and
recipient/guinea pig of the finished product, so I can't tell you how to do
it. I have a vague recollection that mention was made it was quite difficult
to get it to set, but something like Certo (?) saved the day.

That sounds like real quinces - japonica sets like a rock! If you have
the former, I recommend scrounging some japonica to help with the set.
You can also test for pectin with meths and use lemons if necessary;
but remember to boil the seeds and pith of the latter well to extract
the pectin. Remember that a good set needs sugar, acid and pectin.

In all cases, cut the fruit in half or quarter, remove rotten bits,
almost cover with water and simmer carefully (i.e. don't burn it)
until a mush. Stir ad lib. Strain through an old tea towel tied
to the legs a a chair upside down on a table into a bowl; with a
high-pecting, high-fibre fruit like japonica, you may need to
loosen the mush in the towel and few times.

You can then add some more water (not too much) to the mush, reboil
and strain again. I do this 2-4 times, and stop when the liquid
starts to get thin, be short on acid and stop tasting strongly.
Then add up to 1 lb of sugar to 1 pint (I use c. 2/3 for a sharp
jelly), and boil down until it starts to set.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

No doubt jam makers will be able to supply recipes and tips.

With Japanese quinces you should have no problem with it setting.
Problems with bent spoons, maybe.

Don't anyone suggest citric acid - -nearly all commercial jam has citric
acid in it and you can taste it. I suppose it allows the makers to add
more water....

When I want marmalade I'll buy marmalade.

Pectin's another matter. That doesn't alter the flavour significantly.

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.

Old 18-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

No doubt jam makers will be able to supply recipes and tips.

With Japanese quinces you should have no problem with it setting.
Problems with bent spoons, maybe.

Don't anyone suggest citric acid - -nearly all commercial jam has citric
acid in it and you can taste it. I suppose it allows the makers to add
more water....

When I want marmalade I'll buy marmalade.

Though interestingly the origin of the word marmalade is from the
Portuguese marmelo = quince - the original marmalade was made from
quince. And some spanish restaurants will give you quince marmalade with
the cheese.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-09-2003, 10:02 AM
JennyC

"Pickle" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make quince jelly from

the
fruits of the Japanese quince. I never have but one of the

shrubs is
absolutely laden this year. A friend and I were discussing the
possibility yesterday, but neither of us is sure! Not wishing

Yes, from experience, I can certify it makes a very passable

quince jelly,
and does not seem to be toxic!

I've been given a load of quinces - any special tips on the quince

jelly?
I've never made it before

Google has masses of recipes.........Jenny