Old 21-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Bill Pritchard

Default Moles

I have read the FAQs and I'm sure this subject must crop up regularly but I am
desperate. I have tried the thing that makes an intermittant noise buried in
the ground, kids windmills, a pest exterminater and even,God help me,two empty
bottles at opposite ends of the garden, something a friend? said he saw on TV.
I am prepared to try anything,legal or otherwise. Neighbours would appreciate
it if any nudity occurred during the hours of darkness.
Bill Pritchard
Retired and Emotional
Old 21-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Bill
Pritchard writes
I have read the FAQs and I'm sure this subject must crop up regularly but I am
desperate. I have tried the thing that makes an intermittant noise buried in
the ground, kids windmills, a pest exterminater and even,God help me,two empty
bottles at opposite ends of the garden, something a friend? said he saw on TV.

Anything like that will move moley to your neighbour where, if your
neighbour does the same, he (moley, that is, not your neighbour) will
just come back to you.

I am prepared to try anything,legal or otherwise. Neighbours would appreciate
it if any nudity occurred during the hours of darkness.

The only way is to trap them (moleys, not neighbours).
Sorry, but that is the stark truth.
You either put up with moley or you kill him.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 21-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Howard Neil

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
news
In article , Bill

I am prepared to try anything,legal or otherwise.

Anything? This suggestion will go down like a lead balloon with this ng but
it works for me.

Buy a cat. They seem to love hunting moles. Mine have cleared an area of
about 100 yards radius around the house and now only catch one when a new,
unsuspecting, mole moves in.

--
Howard Neil
(tin hat on) :-)

Old 22-09-2003, 01:37 AM
Anthony Anson

The message
from "Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk contains these words:

Buy a cat. They seem to love hunting moles. Mine have cleared an area of
about 100 yards radius around the house and now only catch one when a new,
unsuspecting, mole moves in.

Siamese are best at it, I understand.

--
Tony

Visit my turntable workshop http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 22-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Howard Neil
writes

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
news
In article , Bill

I am prepared to try anything,legal or otherwise.

Anything? This suggestion will go down like a lead balloon with this ng but
it works for me.

Please get your attributions right.
I wasn't the one who said I would try anything
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 22-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Howard Neil

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Howard Neil

Please get your attributions right.
I wasn't the one who said I would try anything
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Sorry, I was a little tired.

--
Howard Neil

Old 22-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Howard Neil

"Anthony Anson" wrote in message
The message
from "Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk contains these words:

Buy a cat. They seem to love hunting moles. Mine have cleared an area of
about 100 yards radius around the house and now only catch one when a

new,
unsuspecting, mole moves in.

Siamese are best at it, I understand.

I have heard they are good but have no personal experience of that breed. I
have found Burmese, Abyssinian, and Somali to be very good.

One thing that I have noticed is that only the females make good hunters.
The toms that I have had always leave hunting to the girls.

--
Regards

Howard Neil

Old 22-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Bill Pritchard

You have touched on a sore point with cats. My cat has caught several but my
vegetarian, animal loving wife has managed to free most of them from the cat's
mouth and returned them to the garden. I should have qualified my request for
help by adding that any advice needs to be acted upon surrepticiously.
Bill Pritchard
Retired and Emotional

Old 22-09-2003, 11:34 AM
bigboard

Bill Pritchard wrote:
I have read the FAQs and I'm sure this subject must crop up regularly but I am
desperate. I have tried the thing that makes an intermittant noise buried in
the ground, kids windmills, a pest exterminater and even,God help me,two empty
bottles at opposite ends of the garden, something a friend? said he saw on TV.
I am prepared to try anything,legal or otherwise. Neighbours would appreciate
it if any nudity occurred during the hours of darkness.
Bill Pritchard
Retired and Emotional

Stick a hose down the hole. Haven't tried it, but have heard it can be
successful.

Whenever my parents had moles in their garden, the local mole man would
turn up with an old bean can full of poisoned worms. Worked every time
without fail. He was rather old, and I don't suppose his type are about
much anymore, and has probably been replaced by a man in a white van and
space suit who consistantly fails to kill any moles.

Other people I know have had success by sitting in the garden with a
shotgun, and as soon as there is any movement of a molehill, blowing the
hell out of it. This may not be an appropriate method for everyone!

Old 22-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Sacha

in article , bigboard at
wrote on 22/9/03 11:27 am:

Bill Pritchard wrote:
I have read the FAQs and I'm sure this subject must crop up regularly but I
am
desperate. snip

Stick a hose down the hole. Haven't tried it, but have heard it can be
successful.

Whenever my parents had moles in their garden, the local mole man would
turn up with an old bean can full of poisoned worms. Worked every time
without fail. He was rather old, and I don't suppose his type are about
much anymore, and has probably been replaced by a man in a white van and
space suit who consistantly fails to kill any moles.

Other people I know have had success by sitting in the garden with a
shotgun, and as soon as there is any movement of a molehill, blowing the
hell out of it. This may not be an appropriate method for everyone!

Bill has the 'problem' that his wife is not in favour of exterminating the
moles but just asking them politely to pass along. ;-)
You can still get people who feed poisoned worms to moles but yes, they do
have to be licensed to do it now. We have to resort to that method
ourselves very occasionally because we're surrounded by farmland and are
regularly attacked by moles. We also put traps down as the preferred
method. Quite often, it's just one mole doing a lot of damage in a
surprisingly large area, or so the 'mole men' have always told me.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 22-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Howard Neil

"Bill Pritchard" wrote in message
You have touched on a sore point with cats. My cat has caught several but

my
vegetarian, animal loving wife has managed to free most of them from the

cat's
mouth and returned them to the garden. I should have qualified my request

for
help by adding that any advice needs to be acted upon surrepticiously.
Bill Pritchard
Retired and Emotional

Oh dear. I see your problem. The only other thought I have for the moment is
to arrange for your wife to have a lovely long holiday every so often. While
she is away the cats can clear the area.

--
Regards

Howard Neil

Old 22-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk contains these words:

One thing that I have noticed is that only the females make good hunters.
The toms that I have had always leave hunting to the girls.

More-or-less true of all felines.

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM