Old 29-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Composting ivy

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:09:33 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Healthy goats and sheep will eat it voluntarily, given a chance, in my
experience. And they've stayed healthy ...

I thought mares eat oats and goats eat oats and _little lambs_ eat
ivy!

A kid'll eat ivy too.

Kids are baby goats, but I bet you knew that.

I did. I've eaten plenty.

The first line is "Mares
eat oats and does eat oats", btw.

I knew that too, I used to sing it in the 1940s. I didn't write the lines
cited above.

Mary

:-)

Janet

Old 29-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Mary Fisher

I thought it was mo

Marezy Dotes and Dozy Dotes and Liddle Lambzy Divy
A kiddley divy doo, wouldn't you.

In truth, that's what I used to sing in the 1940s. When I grew older my
mother explained the facts of life ...

Mary

- I found the song sheet for it while going through some of my mother's
stuff a few months back.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 29-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Mary Fisher

| I understand that 'poison ivy' is an American plant and unrelated to

our
| hedera.

It is. It is not even in the same family. It is a sumach, most
of which have poisonous sap.

Oh, thanks Nick. I'll try to remember that!

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Kids are baby goats, but I bet you knew that. The first line is "Mares
eat oats and does eat oats", btw.

What *IS* that part of?

First time I heard it I shook mt head in disbelief:

"Mersey totes and dozy totes and little Lambsie-tivy..."

Related to "Yan, tan, tetherer?" I thunked.

A silly popular song of the 30's or 40's

and 50's.

Yan tan tetherer was a counting system used by shepherds iirc.

Janet
Old 29-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Yan tan tetherer was a counting system used by shepherds iirc.

Still is, and comes from the Old Norse. [5]

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

[5] Not an old horse.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Composting Ivy Broadback United Kingdom 7 06-01-2007 11:52 PM
Composting anything was Composting ivy Reid© United Kingdom 5 29-09-2003 09:02 PM