Old 28-09-2003, 12:02 PM
John C

Default new garden.....

Folks,

In the middle of building an new house..
need insparation for the garden.
front is 11m * 11m
rear is 27m long * 15m wide.

garage is in rear corner...

Plot in on west coast of scotland.
grass needed in rear I think..

regards
john carden

Old 28-09-2003, 01:12 PM
JennyC

"John C" wrote
In the middle of building an new house..
need insparation for the garden.
front is 11m * 11m
rear is 27m long * 15m wide.

garage is in rear corner...

Plot in on west coast of scotland.
grass needed in rear I think..

regards john carden

Lots of design linka on my home page...........
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

Jenny :~)

Old 28-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "John C" contains these words:

In the middle of building an new house..
need insparation for the garden.
front is 11m * 11m
rear is 27m long * 15m wide.

garage is in rear corner...

Plot in on west coast of scotland.
grass needed in rear I think..

Ah. Plenty seaweed! We used to make heaps of the winter's byre
cleanings, seaweed, and any old hay/straw to make compost to spread on
the lazy-beds. The old crofters used to thatch their houses with hay or
if they had it, straw. The hay thatches would be removed every summer
and replaced with fresh, and the old stuff composted.

Pic of last house in the two adjacent villages to practise this
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/macleods.htm

(In a few minutes! Don't look immediately this appears as the pic goes
to the wibble on the same upload.)

So, I'd guess that your compost heap could be improved at no cost and
with only a little effort.

Access to gridge via the front?

Corsican pine is salt-resistant

Otherwise, sheep seem to grow well on the West Coast.........

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 28-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "John C" contains these words:

In the middle of building an new house..
need insparation for the garden.
front is 11m * 11m
rear is 27m long * 15m wide.

Pic of last house in the two adjacent villages to practise this
XXX http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/macleods.htm XXX

OOPS! Sorry -
URL is http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/macleods.jpg

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 28-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "John C" contains these words:

Folks,

In the middle of building an new house..
need insparation for the garden.
front is 11m * 11m
rear is 27m long * 15m wide.

garage is in rear corner...

Plot in on west coast of scotland.
grass needed in rear I think..

Whereabouts on the west coast? There are several inspirational famous
gardens there, open to the public.

You need to consider who will use the garden and what for...playspace
for children and dogs? Do you need shelter or to retain a fabulous view?
Are there freerange sheep cattle or deer? Have you got soil, peat, sand
or rock to plant in?

Janet(Isle of Arran).

Old 28-09-2003, 10:34 PM
John C

sheep in the feild at the back, cows to ones side and horses the other....

garage access from the front alona a 45 m driveway.....
down the side of the house.

perhaps a garden planner is the way to start..

Old 28-09-2003, 10:34 PM
John C

Janet,
I can see arran from my back door!!!!

The plot in between Crosshouse and Kilmaurs.......

Mean anything to you??

Front is a show piece type of space.
Rear is for 'chilling' with the kids/dog/barbecue/patio.

Regards

Old 01-10-2003, 08:46 AM
awm

John C wrote:

Folks,

In the middle of building an new house..
need insparation for the garden.
front is 11m * 11m
rear is 27m long * 15m wide.

garage is in rear corner...

Plot in on west coast of scotland.
grass needed in rear I think..

regards
john carden

Hopfully one of the parts of the west coast that gets warmed over the
winter by the gulf stream and has nice sandy soil ?
If you can wait till spring for grass sow it yourself rather than buy
turf -- no more work, a lot cheaper and you are much less likely to get
weeds. Turf or sow budget for a new lawnmower -- as the grass will
grow pretty quickly for the first 3 years.

With a new house you will be busy with all sorts of dommestic things
before you can sort out the garden so why not just kill off the weeds
and spread a ton or two of chipped bark over the surface as a holding
action until you can make a proper start. When you start planting just
dig the bark in as a soil improver -- it worked for me.