Old 30-09-2003, 10:55 PM
martin

Default Green fly / soapy water

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:38:42 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
.. .
My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return

visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Thanks John

Soapy water and methelated spirits mixed together is even better :~))
A squirt of washing up liquid + a dollop of meths in a pint of water.

and a small dash of bitters and a splash of tonic.......
--
Martin
Old 30-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"John Edgar" wrote in message

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Washing-up liquid is not soap.

But it does the trick.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 01-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

Soft soap is apparently made from vegetable oils

Definition: [n] a soft (or liquid) soap made from vegetable oils;
used in certain skin diseases

*or* it's not according to..........

/snip/

Soft soap contains potash.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 01-10-2003, 12:25 AM
martin

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:11:34 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Soft soap is apparently made from vegetable oils

Definition: [n] a soft (or liquid) soap made from vegetable oils;
used in certain skin diseases

*or* it's not according to..........

/snip/

Soft soap contains potash.

that's what Webster Dictionary says that I quoted and you snipped
--
Martin

Old 01-10-2003, 08:09 AM
JennyC

"martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:38:42 +0200, "JennyC"

wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
.. .
My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of

the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return

visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do

not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and

what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Thanks John

Soapy water and methelated spirits mixed together is even better

:~))
A squirt of washing up liquid + a dollop of meths in a pint of

water.

and a small dash of bitters and a splash of tonic.......
Martin

Shaken not stirred...........
Jenny

Old 01-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Soft soap is apparently made from vegetable oils

Definition: [n] a soft (or liquid) soap made from vegetable oils;
used in certain skin diseases

*or* it's not according to..........

/snip/

Soft soap contains potash.

that's what Webster Dictionary says that I quoted and you snipped

You overquoted. Life's too short to wade through that lot.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 01-10-2003, 11:44 AM
John Edgar

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:07:35 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Thanks

John
In limine sapientiae

Great. Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll soft-soap them with a
little meths. Don't want to get them too drunk: I'd rather they just
went.
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 01-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
"John Edgar" wrote in message

My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Washing-up liquid is not soap.

But it does the trick.

Any wetting agent will interfere with insects respiration.
Soft soaps are more effective and gungy.

You do have to be careful what you use it on. Some plants do not like
this treatment. I defoliated a bay tree once this way. It stripped the
surface waxy coating and the leaves desiccated within a few days of
application.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 01-10-2003, 02:22 PM
martin

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:51:38 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:38:42 +0200, "JennyC"

wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
.. .
My roses are still growing hard here in Sussex, and because of

the
dryness and heat we now have the dreaded aphids making a return
visit.
I don't want to use Rose Clear etc, and have heard that they do

not
like soapy water. Is this true, and if so what sort of soap and

what
strength of mixture is best? Will dilute washing up liquid do the
trick for instance?

Thanks John

Soapy water and methelated spirits mixed together is even better

:~))
A squirt of washing up liquid + a dollop of meths in a pint of

water.

and a small dash of bitters and a splash of tonic.......
Martin

Shaken not stirred...........

with a Greek Cypriot Olive/Lime.........
--
Martin
Old 01-10-2003, 02:22 PM
martin

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Soft soap is apparently made from vegetable oils

Definition: [n] a soft (or liquid) soap made from vegetable oils;
used in certain skin diseases

*or* it's not according to..........

/snip/

Soft soap contains potash.

that's what Webster Dictionary says that I quoted and you snipped

You overquoted. Life's too short to wade through that lot.

You need to read faster and post slower :-)
--
Martin

white fly outdoors(also black and green fly) , how do I get rid of them ? Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 1 10-11-2005 03:07 PM
Soapy water Mogweed Ponds (alternative) 5 25-07-2004 03:02 AM
Soapy water Mogweed Ponds 2 21-07-2004 05:09 AM
Soapy water Mogweed Ponds (alternative) 10 15-07-2004 05:02 AM
any help please,,, White fly,,, green fly and black fly gARY United Kingdom 0 30-04-2004 12:10 AM