Old 05-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Chris J Dixon

Default Westonbirt Maples

Any first hand reports on the state of the Maples at Westonbirt
right now? I usually try to visit when they are at their best,
but.it has been such an odd season that it is hard to know
exactly what is happening.

I know the Forestry Commission web site has an Autumn Colours
map, but the Maples are always earlier than everything else.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:20:02 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Any first hand reports on the state of the Maples at Westonbirt
right now? I usually try to visit when they are at their best,
but.it has been such an odd season that it is hard to know
exactly what is happening.

We were there yesterday. The acers are turning. Some are red and
beautiful but some are still green. Other trees have not turned much,
though leaves are falling.
Beware if you go at weekend. When we saw the queues at 12 yesterday
we went away and had lunch elsewhere and went back about 3.
Go either early or late. Sould be plenty of colour for a few weeks
yet. At least it is dry under-foot!

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-10-2003, 11:42 AM

: wrote:
:
: Any first hand reports on the state of the Maples at Westonbirt
: right now? I usually try to visit when they are at their best,
: but.it has been such an odd season that it is hard to know
: exactly what is happening.
:
: We were there yesterday. The acers are turning. Some are red and
: beautiful but some are still green. Other trees have not turned much,
: though leaves are falling.
: Beware if you go at weekend. When we saw the queues at 12 yesterday
: we went away and had lunch elsewhere and went back about 3.
: Go either early or late. Sould be plenty of colour for a few weeks
: yet. At least it is dry under-foot!
:
: Pam in Bristol

I've never been, but it's on my list. Is this the best time of year to
visit, apart from the crowds.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:36:07 +0100, "K" wrote:

Is this the best time of year to
visit, apart from the crowds.

Westonbirt gets its biggest crowds around now but any time is nice,
especially when less crowded. There are 2 parts; the actual arboretum
and the "Silk Wood" which is more informal and where you can take dogs
and walk for miles. Lots of good trees there too.
The spring is good for azaleas, camelias etc.
If you are an RHS member, take your card. I card, one free entry. £6
I think it would have been for each of us.
There is a new extended restaurant (which at 5pm yesterday had run out
of water!) and a good shop.

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Steve Harris

Chris

From experience of many visits, close to the middle of October is
usually good. More than a week either side and it may be disappointing
to those who've seen it in it's full glory.

That makes it sound like there's a 14 day window when it's very good.
It's narrower really.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:32 PM

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
: On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:36:07 +0100, "K" wrote:
:
: Is this the best time of year to
: visit, apart from the crowds.
:
: Westonbirt gets its biggest crowds around now but any time is nice,
: especially when less crowded. There are 2 parts; the actual arboretum
: and the "Silk Wood" which is more informal and where you can take dogs
: and walk for miles. Lots of good trees there too.
: The spring is good for azaleas, camelias etc.
: If you are an RHS member, take your card. I card, one free entry. £6
: I think it would have been for each of us.
: There is a new extended restaurant (which at 5pm yesterday had run out
: of water!) and a good shop.
:
: Pam in Bristol

Thanks Pam. Yes, I'm an RHS member - going to the London show tomorrow - so
will definitely visit some time.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Chris J Dixon

wrote:

Any first hand reports on the state of the Maples at Westonbirt
right now?

We were there yesterday. The acers are turning. Some are red and
beautiful but some are still green. Other trees have not turned much,
though leaves are falling.

We decided to go yesterday and the Acers were just right,
probably the best I have ever see them. Naturally the glorious
day helped too. It was busy, but being such a large place folk
soon spread out, especially in the Silk Wood. Lots of great
photos to keep the memory alive for the next 12 months.

Chris