Old 11-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Pam Moore

Default clematis cuttings

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:47:39 +0100, "Bella"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in a message:
snip
I have acquired some long pieces off a rampant clematis which I
greatly admired last yea. (viticella species, bought for 3s 6d 30
years ago in Woolworths!)
I have cut them up and potted them as conventional clematis cuttings,
(internodal) some with hormone, some not.
Now I would like some advice on the best way to look after them.

---
I have had great success with a cut-in-half, plastic 1 litre Coke or
lemonade bottle. Just cut an 'empty' Coke bottle in half and half fill the
bottom half of the bottle with a suitable damp cutting compost. Insert the
cutting/s, and slide about an inch of the top half of the bottle *inside*
the bottom half. Screw the cap on and await results. I use a half-and-half
mix of JI seed compost and sharp sand with some added Vermiculite. This
method also works well with Lonicera and other semi-hardwood cuttings.

Bella

Hi Bella, that's a good idea. I suppose condensation inside could be
controlled via the bottle cap. I must try with the next lot. Anyone
want a litre of Coke?!

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:18:08 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Is it your own clematis? If so, why don't you try internodal layers?
It works like a dream. I have often layered mine straight into a
sunken pot of potting conpost.

No, Franz, it is not mine. The friend ti whom belongs would let me,
I'm sure, but there would be a watering problem. She may let me
during a root; it is a very rampant variety and has layered itself
around her garden.

Pam in Bristol

Pam
On a small scale use something to keep the plastic away from the cuttings,
use white plastic not clear, stand in full light but avoid direct sun,
drench pots initially with a fungicide, check each day and mist if dry, keep
a sharp eye for aphids and treat if required, should root in about 20 days,
wait for buds to swell (not just roots) before moving
good luck.
(too late now I know but for the viticellas small wiry shoots root better
than big fat ones)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk