Old 14-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Pam Morris

Default tree identification

I have almost decided on a Sorbus Vilminorii to plant in the tumble-dryer
drum which now has a feature position in the middle of my newly re-modelled
garden.

But for the past few days I've noticed another tree which I think would look
good, but I've no idea what it is hence this call for help.

The specimen I've seen (whilst driving past) is approx 12 feet in height
with a similar spread. It has lovely (pinnate?) leaf colours just now but
what I find most intriguing is it seems to have upright cones at the end of
each branch.

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

TIA

Pam.

Old 14-10-2003, 03:04 PM
martin

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:48:04 +0100, "Pam Morris"
wrote:

I have almost decided on a Sorbus Vilminorii to plant in the tumble-dryer
drum which now has a feature position in the middle of my newly re-modelled
garden.

But for the past few days I've noticed another tree which I think would look
good, but I've no idea what it is hence this call for help.

The specimen I've seen (whilst driving past) is approx 12 feet in height
with a similar spread. It has lovely (pinnate?) leaf colours just now but
what I find most intriguing is it seems to have upright cones at the end of
each branch.

Cedar?
http://www.atl.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/index...tecedar-e.html

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

only if you like Bordeaux mix.
--
Martin
Old 14-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Pam Morris

wrote:
The specimen I've seen (whilst driving past) is approx 12 feet in height
with a similar spread. It has lovely (pinnate?) leaf colours just now

but
what I find most intriguing is it seems to have upright cones at the end

of
each branch.

Cedar?

http://www.atl.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/index...tecedar-e.html

No, it's not this. Doesn't look like any sort of conifer

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

only if you like Bordeaux mix.

Don't like red wine - now, if you had offered baileys....;-)

--
Martin

Pam.

Old 14-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Iris McCanna

"Pam Morris" wrote in message
I have almost decided on a Sorbus Vilminorii to plant in the

tumble-dryer
drum which now has a feature position in the middle of my newly

re-modelled
garden.

But for the past few days I've noticed another tree which I think

would look
good, but I've no idea what it is hence this call for help.

The specimen I've seen (whilst driving past) is approx 12 feet in

height
with a similar spread. It has lovely (pinnate?) leaf colours just

now but
what I find most intriguing is it seems to have upright cones at the

end of
each branch.

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

TIA

Pam.

Pam,

It could be Rhus Typhina (Stags Horn Sumach). Pinnate leaves,
beautiful autumn colour. It also has large dark wine red clusters of
fruits, which look a bit like cones. The only trouble with this is
that is it pops up everywhere. When I had one I was constantly
removing the seedlings.

Regards
Iris McCanna

(remove the NOT to mail me)
(all outgoing messages certified virus free)

Old 14-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:19:49 +0200, "Iris McCanna"
wrote:

It could be Rhus Typhina (Stags Horn Sumach). Pinnate leaves,
beautiful autumn colour. It also has large dark wine red clusters of
fruits, which look a bit like cones. The only trouble with this is
that is it pops up everywhere.

I agree with Iris . They are looking wonderful at the moment. BUT...
They are a devil once they start sending up suckers. I wouldn't touch
one with any sort of pole! However, It might possibly be contained by
your drum.

Pam in Bristol

Old 14-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Pam Morris
writes
I have almost decided on a Sorbus Vilminorii to plant in the tumble-dryer
drum which now has a feature position in the middle of my newly re-modelled
garden.

But for the past few days I've noticed another tree which I think would look
good, but I've no idea what it is hence this call for help.

The specimen I've seen (whilst driving past) is approx 12 feet in height
with a similar spread. It has lovely (pinnate?) leaf colours just now but
what I find most intriguing is it seems to have upright cones at the end of
each branch.

Could it be a sumach? The flower spikes can look cone-like at a
distance.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 14-10-2003, 06:03 PM
controlPprint

"Pam Morris" wrote in message
I have almost decided on a Sorbus Vilminorii to plant in the tumble-dryer
drum which now has a feature position in the middle of my newly

re-modelled
garden.

But for the past few days I've noticed another tree which I think would

look
good, but I've no idea what it is hence this call for help.

The specimen I've seen (whilst driving past) is approx 12 feet in height
with a similar spread. It has lovely (pinnate?) leaf colours just now but
what I find most intriguing is it seems to have upright cones at the end

of
each branch.

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

TIA

Pam.

i asked a question like this last month
its bound to be on google
but for now is this it?
http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/products/..._staghorn.html

controlPprint

Old 14-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Pam Morris
writes

The specimen I've seen (whilst driving past) is approx 12 feet in height
with a similar spread. It has lovely (pinnate?) leaf colours just now but
what I find most intriguing is it seems to have upright cones at the end of
each branch.

The deciduous conifers are Larch (Larix sp), Golden Larch (Pseudolarix
amabilis), Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glypostroboides) and Swamp Cypress
(Taxodium sp.). Larch does have upright cones, and does have reasonable
autumn colour (at least I thought it worth photographing).

OTOH, I'd've said that of the four it was the least likely for the
foliage to be mistaken for pinnate.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Pam Morris" contains these words:

I have almost decided on a Sorbus Vilminorii to plant in the tumble-dryer
drum which now has a feature position in the middle of my newly re-modelled
garden.

But for the past few days I've noticed another tree which I think would look
good, but I've no idea what it is hence this call for help.

The specimen I've seen (whilst driving past) is approx 12 feet in height
with a similar spread. It has lovely (pinnate?) leaf colours just now but
what I find most intriguing is it seems to have upright cones at the end of
each branch.

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Sounds like sumach, you can check a picture in google/images. Tends to
sucker, hence the spread of the patch you noticed.

Janet.

Old 14-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Pam Morris" wrote in message
I have almost decided on a Sorbus Vilminorii to plant in the

tumble-dryer
drum which now has a feature position in the middle of my newly

re-modelled
garden.

But for the past few days I've noticed another tree which I think would

look
good, but I've no idea what it is hence this call for help.

The specimen I've seen (whilst driving past) is approx 12 feet in height
with a similar spread. It has lovely (pinnate?) leaf colours just now

but
what I find most intriguing is it seems to have upright cones at the end

of
each branch.

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Abies koreana?

I drivelled there.

Franz

Old 14-10-2003, 09:02 PM
martin

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:46:58 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Abies koreana?

I drivelled there.

screen wipe?
--
Martin
Old 15-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

wrote:

It could be Rhus Typhina (Stags Horn Sumach). Pinnate leaves,
beautiful autumn colour. It also has large dark wine red clusters of
fruits, which look a bit like cones. The only trouble with this is
that is it pops up everywhere.

I agree with Iris . They are looking wonderful at the moment. BUT...
They are a devil once they start sending up suckers. I wouldn't touch
one with any sort of pole! However, It might possibly be contained by
your drum.

Don't bank on it. The sods sneak out at night while no-one's looking.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 15-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Franz Heymann

news
wrote:

It could be Rhus Typhina (Stags Horn Sumach). Pinnate leaves,
beautiful autumn colour. It also has large dark wine red clusters of
fruits, which look a bit like cones. The only trouble with this is
that is it pops up everywhere.

I agree with Iris . They are looking wonderful at the moment. BUT...
They are a devil once they start sending up suckers. I wouldn't touch
one with any sort of pole! However, It might possibly be contained by
your drum.

I had one which calved seven feet away from the main stem without so much as
how d'ye do.

Franz

Old 16-10-2003, 05:42 PM
JennyC

news
wrote:

It could be Rhus Typhina (Stags Horn Sumach). Pinnate leaves,
beautiful autumn colour. It also has large dark wine red clusters

of
fruits, which look a bit like cones. The only trouble with this

is
that is it pops up everywhere.

I agree with Iris . They are looking wonderful at the moment.

BUT...
They are a devil once they start sending up suckers. I wouldn't

touch
one with any sort of pole! However, It might possibly be contained

by
your drum.
Pam in Bristol

I have one in a seriously LARGE tub and it's not escaped yet..........
Jenny

Any Tree Experts?? Tree Identification Question?? MICHELLE H. Gardening 5 02-12-2009 10:01 PM
Tree Identification Chip G. Lawns 4 11-07-2003 09:24 PM
Help - Tree Identification (picts included) Scott Gardening 3 10-06-2003 03:08 AM
[IBC] Tree Identification Sean Nemecek Bonsai 5 25-05-2003 09:20 PM
Identification of pine tree from photo David Jones alt.forestry 1 05-03-2003 07:56 PM