Old 18-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Kate Morgan

Default Good old Monty

I thought that Monty Don was incredibly gung ho in last nights G/W,
heaving wheelbarrows and chucking compost round at a great speed,
getting a little puffed out too maybe :-)))
Old 18-10-2003, 03:34 PM
jane

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:02:22 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

~I thought that Monty Don was incredibly gung ho in last nights G/W,
~heaving wheelbarrows and chucking compost round at a great speed,
~getting a little puffed out too maybe :-)))

Not bad considering he has chronic back problems. He does seem to be
an all or nothing bloke

I wish my council (Chiltern) would sell a ton of compost for £2.50.
They sell theirs via the dump franchise at £2.50 a 25l bag... and it's
a lot cheaper to buy a bag of multipurpose compost from a DIY store.

Rip off, given they get given the raw materials in the first place.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 18-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Kate Morgan

~I thought that Monty Don was incredibly gung ho in last nights G/W,
~heaving wheelbarrows and chucking compost round at a great speed,
~getting a little puffed out too maybe :-)))

Not bad considering he has chronic back problems. He does seem to be
an all or nothing bloke

Oh I didnt know he had a back problem, good on him for doing summat
that he probably didnt need to :-)
Old 18-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , jane
writes

I wish my council (Chiltern) would sell a ton of compost for £2.50.
They sell theirs via the dump franchise at £2.50 a 25l bag... and it's
a lot cheaper to buy a bag of multipurpose compost from a DIY store.

But they do sell cheap compost bins!

Judging by the amount of perennial weeds that people discard into the
pile collected at Amersham for shredding, most of the compost will have
ground elder and every other sort of pernicious weed

janet

--
Janet Tweedy

Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Old 18-10-2003, 06:43 PM
JennyC

"jane" wrote
I wish my council (Chiltern) would sell a ton of compost for £2.50.
They sell theirs via the dump franchise at £2.50 a 25l bag... and

it's
a lot cheaper to buy a bag of multipurpose compost from a DIY store.
Rip off, given they get given the raw materials in the first place.
jane

Our council (Rotterdam!) gives it away for free in May and October.
You just have to collect it in your own bags or on a trailer.........
~ Maybe the EU has some good points after all :~)

Jenny

Old 18-10-2003, 09:03 PM
jane

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:31:31 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

~In article , jane
writes
~
~I wish my council (Chiltern) would sell a ton of compost for £2.50.
~They sell theirs via the dump franchise at £2.50 a 25l bag... and it's
~a lot cheaper to buy a bag of multipurpose compost from a DIY store.
~
~But they do sell cheap compost bins!
Not really compared with most other places.
If you google for Blackwall compost bin you find that nearly every
other council which does the 60day free then pay offer has them at
between £0 and £15 for the same 330 litre size that mingy old Bucks
sells for £20.
(for instance lucky Lancashire residents get them for free!
http://www.compost-it.org.uk/scheme/compost_bin.htm )

~Judging by the amount of perennial weeds that people discard into the
~pile collected at Amersham for shredding, most of the compost will have
~ground elder and every other sort of pernicious weed

I know what you mean - if I ever get my act together to mail a
question to GQT, it will be if japanese knotweed composts safely in a
council heap, cos I'll bet these central composting centres get that
too.
http://www.compost.me.uk/html/japanese_knotweed.html seems to suggest
it *should* be ok, but then again it may not as we have no way of
knowing if the commerical composter follows the temperature
guidelines.

I admit that this is why I've never bought any of the bags they sell
but if it was like the stuff Monty was digging out, it would probably
be ok. But how does one know if it's well-composted or it's got a
lurking danger? Answers on a postcard...

I compost everything I can at home in an enclosed heap except the
perennial weeds which go to the tip: my heap doesn't get hot enough to
kill them. Luckily my worst is bindweed from next door's wilderness.

Anyway, hello Janet - nice to find an urgler in my area!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 18-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"jane" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:31:31 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

~In article , jane
writes
~
[...]

Some decades ago, I used compost made by Leatherhead Council extensively. I
never got any weeds which I could ascribe to the compost. It did, however,
contain a fair amount of pieces of glass and potshards. Luckily these had
their sharp edges removed, because the composter was an enormous
continuously rotating drum.

Franz

Old 19-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Aphodius

"Kate Morgan" wrote:
I thought that Monty Don was incredibly gung ho in last nights G/W,
heaving wheelbarrows and chucking compost round at a great speed,
getting a little puffed out too maybe :-)))

---
Let's hope he doesn't take it into his head to make artificial stone for his
garden. If you remember, Geoff Hamilton made some just before his second and
fatal heart attack whilst cycling for charity. At least Rachel D.T. has
other more important things to occupy her life for the time being.

Aphodius

Old 19-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Jayne

"jane" wrote in message ~But they do
sell cheap compost bins!
Not really compared with most other places.
If you google for Blackwall compost bin you find that nearly every
other council which does the 60day free then pay offer has them at
between £0 and £15 for the same 330 litre size that mingy old Bucks
sells for £20.
(for instance lucky Lancashire residents get them for free!
http://www.compost-it.org.uk/scheme/compost_bin.htm )

I live in South Gloucestershire & we get our first compost bin free & then
if you want more they are £13.00 delivered - not bad!

Old 19-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Mark

At least Rachel D.T. has other more important things to occupy her
life for the time being.

Has she? What?

She has been Propagated :-)

Old 19-10-2003, 06:12 PM
martin

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:02:08 +0100, "Mark"
wrote:

At least Rachel D.T. has other more important things to occupy her
life for the time being.

Has she? What?

She has been Propagated :-)

oo-er missus!

--
Martin
Old 19-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from (jane) contains these words:

~Judging by the amount of perennial weeds that people discard into the
~pile collected at Amersham for shredding, most of the compost will have
~ground elder and every other sort of pernicious weed

I've a patch of ground elder which I nurture lovingly. It makes an
interesting green vegetable and and adds flavours to stews, casseroles
etc.

BUT - don't eat it after it flowers and then go out as it can have
(can't remember which) enuritic or laxative effects. Doesn't have ant
effect me.....

I know what you mean - if I ever get my act together to mail a
question to GQT, it will be if japanese knotweed composts safely in a
council heap, cos I'll bet these central composting centres get that
too.
http://www.compost.me.uk/html/japanese_knotweed.html seems to suggest
it *should* be ok, but then again it may not as we have no way of
knowing if the commerical composter follows the temperature
guidelines.

I admit that this is why I've never bought any of the bags they sell
but if it was like the stuff Monty was digging out, it would probably
be ok. But how does one know if it's well-composted or it's got a
lurking danger? Answers on a postcard...

Well, Japanese knotweed comes in two sexes, and we only have (ATM) the
female variety, and as it isn't self-fertilising, it never sets seeds.

I compost everything I can at home in an enclosed heap except the
perennial weeds which go to the tip: my heap doesn't get hot enough to
kill them. Luckily my worst is bindweed from next door's wilderness.

I compost everything, and my heap is just a layer of weeds, grass,
newspapers, cardboard, tealeaves, kitchen waste and scraps, all of which
will be covered in straw and black plastic over the winter.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk