Old 19-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Seven

Default motivation

ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

The weeds are mostly dandelion, is it worth taking them out now or will they
die with the winter frost?

Old 19-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Seven
writes
ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

By telling yourself that it will be even colder come Tuesday?

The weeds are mostly dandelion, is it worth taking them out now

No, they will still regrow. They are impossible to get rid of.

or will they
die with the winter frost?

Not a hope!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-10-2003, 01:22 PM
martin

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:14:19 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Seven
writes
ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

By telling yourself that it will be even colder come Tuesday?

and pouring down!
--
Martin
Old 19-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Seven

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Seven
writes
ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

By telling yourself that it will be even colder come Tuesday?

The weeds are mostly dandelion, is it worth taking them out now

No, they will still regrow. They are impossible to get rid of.

Damn!

I did go out and remove a few weeds and planted some heather I got from the
highlands a few weeks ago.

Little and often....

or will they
die with the winter frost?

Not a hope!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 PM
JennyC

"Seven" wrote in message
ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

Think of the hot bath and toddy that will warm you up
afterwards........:~)

The weeds are mostly dandelion, is it worth taking them out now or

will they
die with the winter frost?

Yes. They are tough beasties and will survive the winter otherwise

Jenny

Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Seven" wrote in message
ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

The weeds are mostly dandelion, is it worth taking them out now or will

they
die with the winter frost?

Dandelions don't die except when they are poisoned.

Franz

Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , martin
writes
wrote:

In article , Seven
writes
ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

By telling yourself that it will be even colder come Tuesday?

and pouring down!

Yahoo weather thinks it's going to snow here!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 PM
martin

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:48:40 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
wrote:

In article , Seven
writes
ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

By telling yourself that it will be even colder come Tuesday?

and pouring down!

Yahoo weather thinks it's going to snow here!

I'll get my swimming stuff and head for the beach.

The shipping forecast gives wet and very windy

HUMBER THAMES
NORTHEASTERLY 4 OR 5 INCREASING 6 TO GALE 8. SHOWERS. GOOD

DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND PLYMOUTH
NORTHEASTERLY 6 OR 7, OCCASIONALLY GALE 8. SHOWERS. MODERATE OR
GOOD
--
Martin
Old 19-10-2003, 06:12 PM
martin

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:42:44 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"Seven" wrote in message
ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

Think of the hot bath and toddy that will warm you up
afterwards........:~)

she/he's probably having it and drinking it right now.
--
Martin
Old 19-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Seven" contains these words:

ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

The weeds are mostly dandelion, is it worth taking them out now or will they
die with the winter frost?

No, they will crouch underground doing muscle flexes and sucking in
nutrients all winter, so that at the first sign of spring an almighty
squat thrust will force up a huge rosette of leaves and flowerbuds.
Thanks to a winter of underground fitness training every dandelion will
be twice as strong healthy and floriferous as it was the previous
autumn...especially those innocent little seedlings which look so weak
and feeble, and can be tweaked out with a mean finger pinch.

Wait for a day when the soil is damp but not soggy or frosty, and
you'll find it's not too hard to prise up the larger plants with a fork
slid under the rosette; the aim is to get as much unbroken root as
possible.

Janet

Old 19-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:
In article , Seven
writes

ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

By telling yourself that it will be even colder come Tuesday?

The weeds are mostly dandelion, is it worth taking them out now

No, they will still regrow. They are impossible to get rid of.

Loosen the earth round them and pull them out. As long as you get the
tap root out they won't come back. I scrub and dry them and when I have
enough, lightly roast them and add them to ground roasted pearl barley
to make a pleasant dring like a cross between Barley Cup and chickory.

or will they
die with the winter frost?

Not a hope!

No indeed. It's a perenniel weed. I use the flowers for making country
wine - if I get round to it. Some of my best friends are weeds...

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 20-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Seven

"Seven" wrote in message
ok,

How do I motivate myself to go out and remove them weeds when it was
hailstones here earlier on and is still freezing?

Think of the hot bath and toddy that will warm you up
afterwards........:~)

she/he's probably having it and drinking it right now.

I did have a few this past weekend actually, loads of hailstones and very
cold here, so needed it.

Old 21-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Victoria Clare

"Franz Heymann" wrote in news:bmu4qb$1f1
:

The weeds are mostly dandelion, is it worth taking them out now or will

they
die with the winter frost?

Dandelions don't die except when they are poisoned.

.... or if you try growing them in pots.

I tried this once when I had a rabbit who lived in a roof-garden with no
grass.

They don't like pots at all....

Victoria

Old 21-10-2003, 06:13 PM
JennyC

"martin" wrote
Victoria Clare wrote:

Dandelions don't die except when they are poisoned.

... or if you try growing them in pots.

I tried this once when I had a rabbit who lived in a roof-garden

with no
grass.

They don't like pots at all....

Rabbits?