Old 06-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Registered User

Location: Coventry
Default Gardening motivation survey - Will you help?

Hello all,

I would like to invite you to participate in a survey that is open until end of July 2015. I am a PhD research student at Coventry University, doing a three year research on gardening tools and how they could be improved, specifically for the ageing population. This survey is being held to look into people's reasons for gardening and what can keep people from doing more.

The research is focused on those living in the United Kingdom, which is how I got to this forum.

If you wouldn't mind helping with this research, you can find the survey at Gardening motivation survey.

Thank you!
Old 06-07-2015, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Eline.10103aa9
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hello all,

I would like to invite you to participate in a survey that is open until
end of July 2015. I am a PhD research student at Coventry University,
doing a three year research on gardening tools

and how they could be
improved, specifically for the ageing population. This survey is being
held to look into people's reasons for gardening and what can keep
people from doing more.

The research is focused on those living in the United Kingdom, which is
how I got to this forum.

If you wouldn't mind helping with this research, you can find the survey
at 'Gardening motivation survey'
(http://gardeningtoolresearch.com/survey).

Thank you!

I looked her up; appears genuine. The survey does not require any ID
details so happy to answer.

IMO it would have been useful to ask longterm, older gardeners what
physical changes they most notice, and how they have changed or adapted
gardening activities or tool use in relation to those physical changes.

Janet
Old 06-07-2015, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2015 17:38, Janet wrote:
[...]

I agree, I have had to modify my gardening to discomfort when working.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

I agree, I have had to modify my gardening to discomfort when working.

I take a plastic pail or milk crate with me if I'm going to be down on the
ground weeding/transplanting/etc, so I'm sure I can get back up!
(A hoe handle will do in a pinch).

Old 06-07-2015, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote

Broadback wrote:

I agree, I have had to modify my gardening to discomfort when working.

I take a plastic pail or milk crate with me if I'm going to be down on the
ground weeding/transplanting/etc, so I'm sure I can get back up!
(A hoe handle will do in a pinch).

Talking to one of the ladies on our allotment site the other day and we
agreed these advancing years are not a pleasant experience.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/6/2015 1:11 PM, Gary Woods wrote:

I take a plastic pail or milk crate with me if I'm going to be down on the
ground weeding/transplanting/etc, so I'm sure I can get back up!
(A hoe handle will do in a pinch).

I use one of those garden kneelers which can be flipped over to use as a
seat. Much easier on back and knees, and takes less room than a milk crate.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/15 17:38, Janet wrote:
[...]

You might want to take a look at https://panopticlick.eff.org/. Although
you may not give any personal information for the gardening motivation
survey, if your browser fingerprint is unique, any other website where
you are personally identified in some way will automatically link you to
the browser fingerprint. Of course, the chances of this information
being shared is probably low, but there are all sorts of organisations
out there who just love to get their hands on this useful info.

FWIW, Panopticlick reports for me "Your browser fingerprint appears to
be unique among the 5,549,370 tested so far".

One simple way to get round this is to use a VPN. But then you have to
trust the provider of the VPN... :-)

All that being said, I took the survey and thought it was quite well
designed.

--

Jeff
Old 06-07-2015, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Broadback wrote:

I agree, I have had to modify my gardening to discomfort when working.

I take a plastic pail or milk crate with me if I'm going to be down on the
ground weeding/transplanting/etc, so I'm sure I can get back up!
(A hoe handle will do in a pinch).

I've got a kneeler like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Ltd.../dp/B000TAUH8G

except mine has an extra layer of knee-friendly upholstery fixed on
with ducktape.

I never used to use it much, but nowadays I seem to use it daily, I
do a lot more gardening kneeling than I used to, and need those side
arms to push meself back upright after.

Janet.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Eline wrote:

I would like to invite you to participate in a survey

It let me get several pages in, then on the page with all the sliders
for reasons why you do gardening, it said

"It is required that you agree to all the statements mentioned below
before continuing. If you do not agree to all statements, you can close
the window to leave the survey."

even though I'd ticked all the T&C buttons on the first page, so I
couldn't complete it ...

Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/6/2015 3:15 PM, Janet wrote:

I've got a kneeler like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Ltd.../dp/B000TAUH8G

except mine has an extra layer of knee-friendly upholstery fixed on
with ducktape.

I never used to use it much, but nowadays I seem to use it daily, I
do a lot more gardening kneeling than I used to, and need those side
arms to push meself back upright after.

Mine is like this one -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-64970-Folding-Seat-Kneeler/dp/B0001K9ZAU/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1436219485&sr=1-4&keywords=garden+kneeler+seat

Old 06-07-2015, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2015 21:27, Andy Burns wrote:
Eline wrote:

I would like to invite you to participate in a survey

It let me get several pages in, then on the page with all the sliders
for reasons why you do gardening, it said

"It is required that you agree to all the statements mentioned below
before continuing. If you do not agree to all statements, you can close
the window to leave the survey."

even though I'd ticked all the T&C buttons on the first page, so I
couldn't complete it ...

Same here. What browser were you using. I use Thunderbird. It
probably means thet the survey has been designed sopecifically for IE.
I have had this in other cases e.g. a custom website editor for our
church website which bonly works with IE and a claims submt form for an
exam board I work for which needs IE to finally submit the claim.

I am afraid that website designers used IE compliant software and then
do not check that it it compatible with other common browsers. This has
been a problem for years since MS became heavily involved in software
and was accepted by many as the de-facto standard

Malcolm
Old 07-07-2015, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm Race wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

even though I'd ticked all the T&C buttons on the first page, so I
couldn't complete it ...

Same here. What browser were you using.

Firefox, I did figure out that I wasn't allowed to leave any sliders
hard over to the left, so I nudged them one click to the right, then it
accepted the page.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 19:49:44 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

FWIW, Panopticlick reports for me "Your browser fingerprint appears to
be unique among the 5,549,370 tested so far".

I didn't quite do that badly: one in 28,611.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy Burns" wrote

Malcolm Race wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

even though I'd ticked all the T&C buttons on the first page, so I
couldn't complete it ...

Same here. What browser were you using.

Firefox, I did figure out that I wasn't allowed to leave any sliders hard
over to the left, so I nudged them one click to the right, then it accepted
the page.

I used IE and found you had to click on all sliders even if you didn't want
to move them.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote

says...

Talking to one of the ladies on our allotment site the other day and we
agreed these advancing years are not a pleasant experience.

I love advancing years; its the age of complete personal freedom,
every day ours to do exactly as we please .. or not.

That is true, except I have a wife that organises my days usually, :-)
What we were discussing was the physical bits of us that don't work like
they used to, that ache, that tire easily.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.