Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Getting rid of ground elder

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

[snip]

What about covering the ground with black Thingy and putting half grown
bulbs through the plastic later on Janet?

Twelve months of covering ground elder with black polythene certainly does
not eradicate them. I tried it and failed.

If you mulched the ground
thickly as well you might get away with stopping the ground elder coming
through if a lot has been taken away.
I did try it on one bed of my vegetable area but sad to say the mulch is
now four foot tall and contains two carpet layers, two layers of very
thick newspaper and lots of grass clipping etc and STILL the ground
elder comes through.................
Sigh ..............

Quite.

I even though about putting that chemical on the ground that stops ALL
germination for six months, as the area is useless for growing on in,
case I break any more roots of the weed. So I have a 14 foot square bed
that I haven't grown anything in save blackberries for about ten years

Hence my oft repeated mantra to get on with the glyphosate. It works.
Nothing, nothing else will eradicate ground elder.

Franz

How deep can ground elder survive? Roderick Orr-Ewing United Kingdom 18 02-04-2004 02:25 PM
Weeds (was Getting rid of ground elder) Victoria Clare United Kingdom 6 24-10-2003 12:22 AM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H United Kingdom 3 12-07-2003 02:32 PM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H Gardening 2 12-07-2003 09:32 AM
Ground elder & plants to grow with it Annabel United Kingdom 20 07-04-2003 04:33 PM