Old 22-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Janice

Default Pieris

My pieris has never flowered. Are there some types that do not flower, is
it a male, or might there be another explanation for it not flowering?

Thanks

Old 23-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Emrys Davies

'Janice',

Which of these have you got and how long have you had it?

http://www.esveld.nl/collecties/collpieris.htm

Also, what colour are its leaves? (Healthy green or yellowish)

Do the leaves tend to fall off.

Does it have any signs of flower buds at the moment?

Are the branches spindly and rather bare?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 23-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Jason Pope

Janice wrote:
My pieris has never flowered. Are there some types that do not flower, is
it a male, or might there be another explanation for it not flowering?

Thanks

They need acid soil I think! Ericacious?

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 23-10-2003, 10:43 AM
jane

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:36:50 +0100, "Janice"
wrote:

~My pieris has never flowered. Are there some types that do not flower, is
~it a male, or might there be another explanation for it not flowering?
~
~Thanks
~
~
Mine didn't for a couple of years after I rescued it out of the garden
where the previous owner of the house had planted the poor thing.
(garden is 6" cruddy soil above chalk). I potted it up in ericaceous
compost, fed it with ericaceous fertiliser to compensate for the chalk
still about the roots, and gave it rainwater.
Then I had a year where I had incredibly red leaves in profusion, then
finally last year it flowered. It's flowering again this year, so
maybe they need a time to get established. How big is yours? Mine's
only a couple of feet high (and obviously being restricted a bit
because of the pot).

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 23-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Janice

wrote in message
My pieris has never flowered. Are there some types that do not

flower..........

" Emrys Davies" wrote
Which of these have you got and how long have you had it?
http://www.esveld.nl/collecties/collpieris.htm
Also, what colour are its leaves? (Healthy green or yellowish)
Do the leaves tend to fall off.
Does it have any signs of flower buds at the moment?
Are the branches spindly and rather bare?

From the photos available it look most like the Firecrest. I inherited it
with the house so it's at least 4 years old (but it's only about 3 feet
high). It's in semi-shade in a raised bed with good soil (azaleas nearby
are growing well). Its leaves are a good colour and lots of them, but there
are no signs of flower buds.

I'd hoped the ericaceous tonic would have helped but it hasn't.

Regards,

Old 23-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Saffy

"Janice" wrote in message
My pieris has never flowered. Are there some types that do not flower, is
it a male, or might there be another explanation for it not flowering?

Thanks

I didn't even know they could flower - mine doesn't, it just had lovely red
leaves in the spring. Shows you how much I know!

Saffy.
---
Usborne Books at Home
Looking for a flexible, part or full-time job
E-mail me for an information pack today!

Old 23-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jason Pope
writes
Janice wrote:
My pieris has never flowered. Are there some types that do not flower, is
it a male, or might there be another explanation for it not flowering?

Thanks

They need acid soil I think! Ericacious?

Yes,but if it were in the wrong soil she'd be asking about the yellow
leaves and ailing plant, not about lack of flowers!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 23-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Emrys Davies

'Janice',

My friend, who is in charge of Botanical Gardens, thinks that you have
most likely been too kind to your plant in as much that the soil is
probably too rich, which results in growth at the expense of flowers.

He suggests that you feed it with a high potash feed such as Sulphate of
Potash in April - May, as per the containers instructions or feed with
Tomorite liquid from April until September, again as per the containers
instructions.

Good luck.
Emrys Davies.

"Janice" wrote in message
wrote in message
My pieris has never flowered. Are there some types that do not

flower..........

" Emrys Davies" wrote
Which of these have you got and how long have you had it?
http://www.esveld.nl/collecties/collpieris.htm
Also, what colour are its leaves? (Healthy green or yellowish)
Do the leaves tend to fall off.
Does it have any signs of flower buds at the moment?
Are the branches spindly and rather bare?

From the photos available it look most like the Firecrest. I

inherited it

Old 23-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Ron Clark

wrote:

My pieris has never flowered.

Nor has mine.

Oop's,sorry, I'll read that again

--
®óñ© © ²°°³

Old 23-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Janice

Thanks, Emrys. I'll do as you suggest and hope for flowers next year!

Best Regards,

"Janice" wrote in message
wrote in message
My pieris has never flowered. Are there some types that do not

flower..........

" Emrys Davies" wrote
Which of these have you got and how long have you had it?
http://www.esveld.nl/collecties/collpieris.htm
Also, what colour are its leaves? (Healthy green or yellowish)
Do the leaves tend to fall off.
Does it have any signs of flower buds at the moment?
Are the branches spindly and rather bare?

From the photos available it look most like the Firecrest. I

inherited it

Old 24-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

My pieris has never flowered. Are there some types that do not flower, is
it a male, or might there be another explanation for it not flowering?

Thanks

I had a pieris forrestii in my last garden. Even in mid Cornwall,
spring frosts invariably killed the flowers as they were beginning to
develop.

--
Chris

[IBC] Pieris japonica pygmacea Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 09-03-2004 02:41 AM
[IBC] Pieris japonica pygmacea Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 08-03-2004 08:18 PM
[IBC] Pieris japonica Jim Lewis Bonsai 6 16-01-2004 11:12 PM
Pieris japonica leaves going yellow - problem? TobyB United Kingdom 1 02-05-2003 08:33 PM
Pieris Forest Flame looking sad Mon United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 07:16 PM