Old 26-10-2003, 03:03 PM
P.Jay

Default golden privet(newbie)

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"P.Jay" wrote in message
Please bear with me as I know zilch about gardening(but wish to learn)

and
have just discovered this N.G.
I have what I think is called a Golden privet hedge and two of
them(beside each other) have have had all the leafs die and fall off.I
initially thought it was a problem caused by dogs as there are about 5
knocking about but now that the second plant is affected I am more
concerned. The hedge has being growing for 25years and is about 5ft.

tall.
Not much to go on I know but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
--

You don't say where you are, but around here there are a lot of plants

that
have and still are suffering from no rainwater to speak of for months. In
this area it has to be the driest spring/summer/autumn on record. If you

are in a dry area try watering them and after you have done that a
few times then try a weak dose of fertilizer.

--
Regards
Bob

Hi Bob
I am in Dublin and the very dry spell applies here also.
Thanks for your suggestions,thank you all for your help although
now as well as learning gardening I also have to learn how to post to N.Gs..
As
if life wasn't complicated enough.
P.Jay
( Take the dog out to find me)

Old 26-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Registered User

Location: england

now as well as learning gardening I also have to learn how to post to N.Gs..
As
if life wasn't complicated enough.
P.Jay
( Take the dog out to find me) [/b][/quote]

...................take no notice PJ we were getting along fine. There are bossy boots in every NG
Old 27-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from ken saunders contains
these words:

now as well as learning gardening I also have to learn how to post to
N.Gs..
As
if life wasn't complicated enough.
P.Jay
( Take the dog out to find me) [/b]

..................take no notice PJ we were getting along fine. There
are bossy boots in every NG

It appears Ken is completely unaware and incapable of the common
courtesies of usenet.

Janet
Old 27-10-2003, 02:02 PM
P.Jay

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message m
from ken saunders contains
these words:

now as well as learning gardening I also have to learn how to post to
N.Gs..
As
if life wasn't complicated enough.
P.Jay
( Take the dog out to find me) [/b]

..................take no notice PJ we were getting along fine. There
are bossy boots in every NG

It appears Ken is completely unaware and incapable of the common
courtesies of usenet.

Janet

-----------------------------------
My first post and already I have started a row. I always thought that

gardeners were laid back people ,in tune with nature and slow to anger. I
shall wait 'till the fertilizer settles before I seek anymore advice. :-)
I'm going to enjoy this N.G.

--
P.Jay
(Take the dog out to find me)

Old 27-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Spider

Hi PJ,
I agree that there is a good chance your hedge is suffering from drought.
However, you should be aware that Privet (Ligustrum sp) is very prone to
Honey Fungus (Armillaria). If H'Fungus isn't the problem now, it could be
in the future since you have elderly and drought-weakened plants.
It is worth watering really well now, then mulching. In the spring, trim
once frosts are over, and feed well. Hopefully, improved health will help
fight off any potential Honey Fungus attack.
Spider
P.Jay wrote in message
Please bear with me as I know zilch about gardening(but wish to learn) and
have just discovered this N.G.
I have what I think is called a Golden privet hedge and two of
them(beside each other) have have had all the leafs die and fall off.I
initially thought it was a problem caused by dogs as there are about 5
knocking about but now that the second plant is affected I am more
concerned. The hedge has being growing for 25years and is about 5ft. tall.
Not much to go on I know but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
--
P.Jay

Take the Dog out to find me

---

Old 27-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Ken Saunders

"

........There's something wrong .Janet's postings are not here and her
answer is mixed in with PJays answer .My answer is here but not on
g.b.Do you have ANY AUTHORITY to harrass (sp) other posters,Janet. If
not, the proper thing to do is complain. My conversation with Pjay was
going quite well, why interfere.The actual postings were short, and
you need to be less bossy and pedantic. :-)

Old 28-10-2003, 04:02 PM
P.Jay

P.Jay wrote in message
I have what I think is called a Golden privet hedge and two of
them(beside each other) have have had all the leafs die and fall off.

The hedge has being growing for 25years and is about 5ft.
tall.
Not much to go on I know but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
--
P.Jay

Hi Spider
Thanks,will follow your advice,if all else fails my neighbour
has a mini JCB.

--
P.Jay
(Take the dog out to find me)

Golden Privet beccabunga United Kingdom 2 06-05-2008 10:46 PM
Newbie questions about pruning privet hedge ajax Gardening 75 26-03-2008 03:37 AM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM
[IBC] Unhappy Privet Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 2 20-02-2003 12:51 AM
Privet Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 03:25 AM