Old 25-10-2003, 05:02 PM
P.Jay

Default golden privet(newbie)

Please bear with me as I know zilch about gardening(but wish to learn) and
have just discovered this N.G.
I have what I think is called a Golden privet hedge and two of
them(beside each other) have have had all the leafs die and fall off.I
initially thought it was a problem caused by dogs as there are about 5
knocking about but now that the second plant is affected I am more
concerned. The hedge has being growing for 25years and is about 5ft. tall.
Not much to go on I know but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
--
P.Jay

Take the Dog out to find me

---

Old 25-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Registered User

Location: england

Quote:
Originally posted by P.Jay
Please bear with me as I know zilch about gardening(but wish to learn) and
have just discovered this N.G.
I have what I think is called a Golden privet hedge and two of
them(beside each other) have have had all the leafs die and fall off.I
initially thought it was a problem caused by dogs as there are about 5
knocking about but now that the second plant is affected I am more
concerned. The hedge has being growing for 25years and is about 5ft. tall.
Not much to go on I know but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
--
P.Jay

Take the Dog out to find me

..............could be old age PJ. The time for skinning back privets is next May, (after the birds have nested and flown) so that it has the summer to recover. Compost now would help....Regards Ken

---
Old 25-10-2003, 09:02 PM
P.Jay

Thanks Ken,will try compost as you suggest. Just one more daft question,what
is "skinning"?,sounds painful.
Thanks again

--
P.Jay

Take the Dog out to find me

---

Old 25-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"ken saunders" wrote in message
s.com...
P.Jay wrote:
[...]

All the attribution marks have gone for a burton in this thread. Who said
what?

Franz

Old 25-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Registered User

Location: england

Quote:
Originally posted by P.Jay
Thanks Ken,will try compost as you suggest. Just one more daft question,what
is "skinning"?,sounds painful.
Thanks again

--
P.Jay

Take the Dog out to find me

---

........PJ...skinning, to me, means heavily thinning and reducing in size.It will look awful but will recover with plentiful watering and mulching. Shape it so the bottom is wider than the top....Regards Ken

Old 25-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Bob Hobden

"P.Jay" wrote in message
Please bear with me as I know zilch about gardening(but wish to learn) and
have just discovered this N.G.
I have what I think is called a Golden privet hedge and two of
them(beside each other) have have had all the leafs die and fall off.I
initially thought it was a problem caused by dogs as there are about 5
knocking about but now that the second plant is affected I am more
concerned. The hedge has being growing for 25years and is about 5ft. tall.
Not much to go on I know but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
--

You don't say where you are, but around here there are a lot of plants that
have and still are suffering from no rainwater to speak of for months. In

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 26-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from ken saunders contains
these words:

.......PJ...skinning, to me, means heavily thinning and reducing in
size.

Please do the same with replies to messages on this newsgroup, to
prevent threads getting overgrown and untidy:-)

It isn't necessary to copy the whole of posts you reply to. Use
highlight and delete to take out extraneous stuff like automatic
signatures and only leave in enough to show which poster and which of
his points you're responding to. There's a useful explanatory post
called abc for newcomers to uk.rec.gardening which appears every week.

HTH

Janet.
Old 26-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from ken saunders contains
these words:

Old 26-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from ken saunders contains
these words:

Old 26-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from ken saunders contains
these words:

Old 26-10-2003, 03:02 PM
P.Jay

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"P.Jay" wrote in message
Please bear with me as I know zilch about gardening(but wish to learn)

and
have just discovered this N.G.
I have what I think is called a Golden privet hedge and two of
them(beside each other) have have had all the leafs die and fall off.I
initially thought it was a problem caused by dogs as there are about 5
knocking about but now that the second plant is affected I am more
concerned. The hedge has being growing for 25years and is about 5ft.

tall.
Not much to go on I know but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
--

You don't say where you are, but around here there are a lot of plants

that
have and still are suffering from no rainwater to speak of for months. In
this area it has to be the driest spring/summer/autumn on record. If you

are in a dry area try watering them and after you have done that a
few times then try a weak dose of fertilizer.

--
Regards
Bob

Hi Bob
I am in Dublin and the very dry spell applies here also.
Thanks for your suggestions,thank you all for your help although
now as well as learning gardening I also have to learn how to post to N.Gs..
As
if life wasn't complicated enough.
P.Jay
( Take the dog out to find me)

Old 26-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from ken saunders contains
these words:

.......PJ...skinning, to me, means heavily thinning and reducing in
size.

Please do the same with replies to messages on this newsgroup, to
prevent threads getting overgrown and untidy:-)

It isn't necessary to copy the whole of posts you reply to. Use
highlight and delete to take out extraneous stuff like automatic
signatures and only leave in enough to show which poster and which of
his points you're responding to. There's a useful explanatory post
called abc for newcomers to uk.rec.gardening which appears every week.

HTH

Janet.

Golden Privet beccabunga United Kingdom 2 06-05-2008 10:46 PM
Newbie questions about pruning privet hedge ajax Gardening 75 26-03-2008 03:37 AM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM
[IBC] Unhappy Privet Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 2 20-02-2003 12:51 AM
Privet Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 03:25 AM