Old 20-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Registered User

Default Newbie questions about pruning privet hedge

Hi folks - first-time poster here with some pretty simple questions I'm sure, so please be kind!

I grew up in a hot and dry climate and so I'm pretty clueless when it comes to caring for and hedges.

At the place where my front garden where it meets the pavement, I planted a row of privet hedge plants last September. They are spaced out about 18 inches apart and are about five feet tall and still quite young, but have begun to sprout lots of little leaves over the past few weeks (of course).

As they have now started to grow, I have some questions about how to prune the plants so that they grow into the shape I want. Can you help me?

I want the plants to grow about 6-8 inches taller than they are now, and I also want them to "flesh out" a bit more. Little sprouts are starting to stick up. Should I trim them now or should I let them grow more?

How often should I trim privet hedge during the growing season?

Should I trim the sides as well?

Many thanks for your help and advice!
Old 21-03-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Good question. pruning information he

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Some people just use hedge trimmers. Thought you might desire targeted
information.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

--
ajax

Old 21-03-2008, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/20/2008 1:12 PM, ajax wrote:
[...]

Privet (genus Ligustrum) takes very well to shearing. If you are
ambitious, you might even try topiary with them.

In general, a hedge should be sheared to be a little wider at the bottom
than at the top, with slightly sloping sides. This ensures that enough
light reaches the foliage at the bottom. With vertical sides, less
light reaches the bottom, resulting in die-out of the lower branches.

I'm a docent at a public garden that's a showcase of garden design
concepts from different parts of the world. The privet in the French
garden is sheared about once every second week from late spring until
middle fall and about once a month during the rest of the year. It's
kept to about 3 ft high. That's because the design concept for the
French garden is formality, with symmetry and geometry. In the French
garden, boxwood and even the star jasmine are also sheared. (In the
English garden, however, plants are not sheared; they billow irregularly.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 21-03-2008, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

....and the OP does not have a "problem". Either I watched too many Sopranos
episodes, or someone needs to take the resident tree shmexpert out behind a
dumpster for a tuneup, using a baseball bat.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Privet is not a tree.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:49:48 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Good question. pruning information he

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Some people just use hedge trimmers. Thought you might desire targeted
information.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us
that we are not the boss.

Old 21-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Registered User

Thanks very much for the useful advice!

Old 21-03-2008, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Jangchub
wrote:

Privet is not a tree.

Pretty obviously symptomless's notions of treating a hedge row like a tree
is as usual worthless advice, and that lame generic page he spams
newsgroups about wouldn't be much use even if the questioner HAD been
asking how to trim privet trees.

Nevertheless, Ligustrum vulgare or lucidum can grow to thirty feet in
height, really fast growing aggressive trees and environmentally harmful
in some places, having in New Zealand for example begun to displace entire
forest ecosystems.

In the long run they're actually ROTTEN "shrubs" for hedging because they
want to be big, and when aggressively trimmed to force them to stay small
won't flower much if at all and get uglier and ugler as the branches
thicken into trucks with fewer and fewer leaves. Common choices yeah, but
crap, and really ought to be banned before naturalizing in even more
forests.

The Chinese privet is a bit easier to keep hedged if one must try it but
even that would rather be eight or twelve feet tall. And the Londense
privet (Ligustrum vulgare lodense) and Nanum privet (L. japonicum)
supposed to stay naturally small (under six feet even if never trimmed and
easily kept at four). But those aren't usually the "garden departments"
cheapies and its the common privet that gets poorly chosen for the
purpose.

-paghat the ratgirl

"ajax" wrote in message

[...]

visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html
visit my film reviews webiste:
http://www.weirdwildrealm.com
Old 22-03-2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Privet is a woody plant that most likely compartmentalize wounds. They
surely don't heal wounds. I would bet you could get a doughnut orf callus
result if you pruned at the right target.

All options should be on the table.

While I am at it here are some common issues with woody plants and their
associates for the newbie.

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Old 22-03-2008, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

You sound like a violent person or a criminal. Maybe a career criminal.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

news

Old 22-03-2008, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Joe

Maybe you could explain at least five major differences between the way a
woody plant other than a tree compartmentalizes wounds.

Or maybe even explain five "anatomy" difference between a woody root of a
woody plant and the woody stem of a woody plant.

About threatening me with a baseball bat - threats of violence may not be in
your best interest. is that what you really desire?

Old 22-03-2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
Joe

Maybe you could explain at least five major differences between the way a
woody plant other than a tree compartmentalizes wounds.

Or maybe even explain five "anatomy" difference between a woody root of a
woody plant and the woody stem of a woody plant.

About threatening me with a baseball bat - threats of violence may not be
in your best interest. is that what you really desire?

At the moment, yes. And I doubt anyone in this newsgroup would mind if I
worked over your fingers first.

Old 22-03-2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Joe

What is your real name? Do you think you are hiding? I have given your comment on which I assume you are suggesting to people on this list to use a baseball bat on me, some extended thought. You now have 101% of my attention. I am not a person that takes threats and such suggestions lightly. I do believe in non-violent direct action. I now consider you as a threat. Now lets see how a person responds when threatened. Trees always respond when threatened. They survive for many many years, many longer than humans under the right condition, as a sugar maple that can have parenchyma cells live for up to 150 years if things go right.

You have chosen to take this news group to a higher level. One of threats of violence and bodily harm. It was your decision. A poor one if you ask me.

Don't you think I should survive like a tree and respond? If not please explain why not. You have 3 days or I will turn this over to a higher power, meaning a higher power than you.

Old 22-03-2008, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Please go back to drinking whatever it is you drink, boy. And be very quiet.

Old 22-03-2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:03:04 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

[...]

This is not an HTML friendly place. Get a grip. Nobody seriously
threatened you. People here are pretty sure you have some problems,
and no sense of humor.

A sense of humor requires a brain.

Old 22-03-2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

If only your problems could be explained by improper mulching. But, I
suspect your parents used your head as a battering ram to open the door when
they locked their keys in the house.

. ..

Old 22-03-2008, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

With what, doughnuts?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
I am thinking you have some issues.

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:20:49 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

[...]

. ..

"ajax" wrote in message

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Pruning a privet hedge? DavidM United Kingdom 6 03-09-2006 12:35 PM
A Privet Hedge Question Willy Skass Lawns 2 11-06-2003 07:20 AM
Kickstarting new privet hedge Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. Gardening 0 15-04-2003 05:44 AM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM
Privet hedge and camoflauge Micko United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 08:19 AM