Old 28-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Jon

Default Chilli question

I have removed 3 chilli plants from my greenhouse and potted them to bring
into the house. They are around 5 feet tall and so take up a lot of room.
Should I/can I prune them in any way? If so, how? Any other things I should
or shouldn't do to them?
Thanks
Jonny

Old 29-10-2003, 04:33 PM
shazzbat

"Jon" wrote in message
I have removed 3 chilli plants from my greenhouse and potted them to bring
into the house. They are around 5 feet tall and so take up a lot of room.
Should I/can I prune them in any way? If so, how? Any other things I

should
or shouldn't do to them?
Thanks
Jonny

Have you harvested the chillies? I treat mine as annuals, and thought this
was the norm. Once the weather starts to get cold, pull them up and hang
upside down in the greenhouse for the foliage to die off and the chillies to
ripen.

Steve

Old 29-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Dan Keeley

I've done the same, mine are only about 3feet though, but i had to chop off
quite a few roots in order to fit them in the pot, and they're not looking
happy. However i'm hoping they'll survive and indeed start fruiting early
next year!

I've read they will just continue to fruit if they're in the right place -
So possibly a supply over winter too!

I've only saved one however as an experiment, i'll grow the rest from seed
again next year

Old 01-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Ewald Schroder

Come December, you can prune the plants back quite severely, and next
year, your plants will get off to a flying start, and you'll start
getting peppers much sooner in the year than from fresh plants. I have
some that are two years old and they're getting quite woody and
sturdy. It'll be interesting to see how many years a chilli pepper
plant can keep going. I'm currently experimenting with keeping some
bellpepper plants indoors over the winter, to see how well they'll
produce bellpeppers for a second (or third or fourth) season, regards
Ewald Schroder

"Jon" wrote in message ...
I have removed 3 chilli plants from my greenhouse and potted them to bring
into the house. They are around 5 feet tall and so take up a lot of room.
Should I/can I prune them in any way? If so, how? Any other things I should
or shouldn't do to them?
Thanks
Jonny

Questions for chilli experts Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 04-06-2003 10:44 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM
Chilli Seeds Charlie United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 11:30 AM
Ancient chilli peppers Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 15 25-01-2003 05:19 PM
last year's chilli plants H United Kingdom 1 08-01-2003 01:29 PM