Old 08-11-2003, 04:02 PM
martin

Default what am i doing wrong

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:00:48 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these =

words:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these
words:

The ABC turned up today as usual, K. My isp weeds out spammed =

adverts,
but evidently doesn't identify endless repetitions of the ABC as =

such.
Possibly yours does? Or your newsreader settings do?

The spam which, according to you, your ISP is weeding, is from your =

email.

Wrong. I was referring to usenet spam, as the context makes obvious.
Don't assume that anyone else here shares your ignorance and =

confusion.

Usenet is an entirely different internet activity.

Usenet is also full of spammed (multiply-posted) adverts and other
unwelcome material such as binaries posted to non-binary newsgroups,
which competent news-servers delete to save bandwidth and assist their
clients. My isp zetnet provides free, and operates, the excellent news
server I use called zimacs.

How did you manage to persuade your ISP to remove spam? A few days =

ago we
had a discussion in which some folk maintained that such an
arrangement was
illegal, since both sender and receiver were supposed to agree that
the ISP
may do a bit of cleaning up.

That discussion was about multiple EMAIL virus attack, not usenet =

spam.

It was about e-mail Spam.

Er, no. The discussion was about e-mail spam. There's no real argument
about virus attacks.

There was no real argument about an ISP tagging Spam as Spam, except
from you. You claimed wrongly that it was illegal.

It is not. UK ISPs do offer Spam tagging as a service, ask Franz.

Repeat your claims that it is illegal to intercept and tag Spam on
uk.net.news.config or do a google search and find the answer I got
when I queried whether it was illegal to identify and tag Spam in UK.

Zetnet is highly responsive to its clients and fosters good relations
and information between management and users via internal newsgroups.
When many zetnet users requested server-level blocking of the email
viral bombardment, there was a newsgroup discussion, then zetnet took
full legal advice before solving the problem PDQ.

And made an excellent job of it too - haven't seen a virus since.

Nor have those with other ISPs, who use the facilities offered by
their ISP. Some of us have neither problems with Viruses nor e-mail
Spam.

I recommend those, who do have problems to contact their ISP.
--=20
Martin