Old 31-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire
Question what am i doing wrong

Hello everyone

I have a question, I am TRYING to grow seeds in cold frame, the plants are growing ok but some kind of moss is growing in all the trays also, am i over watering or something, i am new to gardening to it is all learn as i go, also can i buy mulch at garden centres.
__________________
Anita X
Old 31-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Franz Heymann

Default what am i doing wrong

"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello everyone

I have a question, I am TRYING to grow seeds in cold frame, the plants
are growing ok but some kind of moss is growing in all the trays also,
am i over watering or something, i am new to gardening to it is all
learn as i go, also can i buy mulch at garden centres.

Don't worry too much about the green, and water somewhat less.

Franz

Old 31-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Victoria Clare

anita wrote in
s.com:

can i buy mulch at garden centres.

You can do, but it is a lot cheaper to use garden compost (it doesn't have
to be completely rotted to make a good mulch), dead leaves, bracken, or
even lawn clippings (be careful not to pile these on very thick, or they
may start to ferment)

These mulches are mostly not very beautiful until they start to rot down
though, which I think is why people buy that 'mulching bark' from garden
centres.

If you have a shredder, shredded hedge clippings also make a good mulch,
and can look very neat. I tend to stick a layer over my other mulches so
people can see my efforts are deliberate!

After a while you get a nice thick buildup of rotted mulch (which the
plants like much better than my thin stony soil!)

It's also possible to use gravel as a mulch - that will help keep the soil
damp in the summer, but of course it doesn't rot down and add goodness to
the soil like the biodegradeable mulches do.

A handy tip I picked up here is to stick a layer of newspaper or cardboard
on a new bed first, then mulch over the top of it. That holds the weeds
down just long enough for the plants to get well established, then it rots
away and adds to the mulching effect.

Victoria
Old 31-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Jim W

anita wrote:

Hello everyone

I have a question, I am TRYING to grow seeds in cold frame, the plants
are growing ok but some kind of moss is growing in all the trays also,
am i over watering or something, i am new to gardening to it is all
learn as i go, also can i buy mulch at garden centres.

Welcome to URG..
While you're here take a looka the the FAQ's he
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/urgfaqs.htm

and look out for the ABC thats posted here regularly.

In answer to your Q's

1) ignore the moss, is possibly a little damp and cool at this time of
year and this may account for it, but unless it threatens to overwhelm
your seedlings it isn't a problem.

2) Most garden centres will sell bagged mulch of several kinds, eg bark,
gravel, manmade 'soil membranes' etc... If you have a large area to
cover however it MAY be cheaper to get it delivered by the bulk sack or
trailer load.

//
Jim
Old 31-10-2003, 11:22 AM

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g3ovv1.udgkn71xofm4gN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
: anita wrote:
:
: Hello everyone
:
: I have a question, I am TRYING to grow seeds in cold frame, the plants
: are growing ok but some kind of moss is growing in all the trays also,
: am i over watering or something, i am new to gardening to it is all
: learn as i go, also can i buy mulch at garden centres.
:
:
: Welcome to URG..
: While you're here take a looka the the FAQ's he
: http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/urgfaqs.htm
:
: and look out for the ABC thats posted here regularly.

Jim, sorry to butt in, but I haven't seen the ABC for ages now, possibly
since I changed isp. It could be that others are not seeing it either. Is
it a possibility that some isps don't post it or something, or is there
another reason?

K (the original one)
:
: In answer to your Q's
:
: 1) ignore the moss, is possibly a little damp and cool at this time of
: year and this may account for it, but unless it threatens to overwhelm
: your seedlings it isn't a problem.
:
: 2) Most garden centres will sell bagged mulch of several kinds, eg bark,
: gravel, manmade 'soil membranes' etc... If you have a large area to
: cover however it MAY be cheaper to get it delivered by the bulk sack or
: trailer load.
:
: //
: Jim

Old 31-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim W
anita wrote:

[...]

Thank you everyone for the advice
__________________
Anita X
Old 31-10-2003, 11:42 AM
VivienB

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:20:17 -0000, "K" wrote:

: and look out for the ABC thats posted here regularly.

Jim, sorry to butt in, but I haven't seen the ABC for ages now, possibly
since I changed isp. It could be that others are not seeing it either. Is
it a possibility that some isps don't post it or something, or is there
another reason?

K (the original one)

It is appearing OK here (Freeserve), last one dated 25th October.

Regards, VivienB
Old 31-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Tumbleweed

--

What you are doing wrong is probably trying to grow seeds in a cold frame at
this time of year. What are they?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 31-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire

Quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed
"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello everyone

I have a question, I am TRYING to grow seeds in cold frame, the plants
are growing ok but some kind of moss is growing in all the trays also,
am i over watering or something, i am new to gardening to it is all
learn as i go, also can i buy mulch at garden centres.
--

What you are doing wrong is probably trying to grow seeds in a cold frame at
this time of year. What are they?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

the seeds are antirrhinum
it said on the packet you could sow until sept/oct
__________________
Anita X
Old 31-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Tumbleweed

"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Tumbleweed wrote:
*"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello everyone

I have a question, I am TRYING to grow seeds in cold frame, the

plants
are growing ok but some kind of moss is growing in all the trays

also,
am i over watering or something, i am new to gardening to it is

all
learn as i go, also can i buy mulch at garden centres.
--

What you are doing wrong is probably trying to grow seeds in a cold
frame at
this time of year. What are they?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups) *

the seeds are antirrhinum
it said on the packet you could sow until sept/oct

Did it say indoors or outdoors?

I think you are pushing it, since they arent going to be doing to much
growing over the next few months in an unheated environment, with short days
(less light) and less light due to cloud cover.

a quick google found this;
http://www.tropical-seeds.com/tech_f...ntirrhinum.pdf

which says;

===
Perennial but treated as half hardy annual
Sowing November - May
Mid January for bedding sales
15 - 20 C
Do not cover with vermiculite
Germination in 2 - 3 weeks
Light needed for germination

and
Growing on:
Temperature 16 - 18 C day initially 15 C night dropping to
10 C minimum night after establishment
===

Its not going to be 15-20 C in your coldframe is it :-) 5 C if you are
lucky and freezing or below for the next few months, off and on.

Or this from another website;

Andrew Tokely joins Lesley Dolphin for Tokely's tips between 8.30 and 9.00
on Sunday mornings on her Breakfast Show, BBC Radio Suffolk.
Take a look at his Topical Tips for 25th May...
snip
2. Some summer bedding plants will be ok to plant now, provided you have
hardened them off properly. You can safely plant gazania, rudbeckia,
alyssum, mimulus, aster, statice, antirrhinum, and dianthus.

Never mind, its only a packet of seeds and since you have planted them all
you can do is wait and see. Then, wait until next spring and buy another
packet :-)

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 31-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire

Quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed
"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Tumbleweed wrote:
*"anita" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for the advice you have made it a lot simpler i didn't think about the temp
oh well you live and learn
i will try again in the spring
you don't know of any seeds i can sow now
it is just the children are taking an interest and i don't want to disappoint them , (5yrs old)
__________________
Anita X
Old 31-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Victoria Clare

anita wrote in
s.com:

you don't know of any seeds i can sow now
it is just the children are taking an interest and i don't want to
disappoint them , (5yrs old)

What about sowing some sweet peas now for next year?

Apparently this is the best time to sow them for early flowers and hardy
plants next spring.

I have my fingers crossed for mine...

Or, you could probably get some basil going from seed in a pot on a sunny
windowsill even now, and they will be able to taste the leaves too.

Victoria
Old 31-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Tumbleweed

"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
snip
you don't know of any seeds i can sow now
it is just the children are taking an interest and i don't want to
disappoint them , (5yrs old)

Well, its bulb season now, including hyacinths , which you can grow in those
special glass jars where you can see the roots. And then there are those
really big bulbs (amaryllis?) which can grow as high as a 3 or 4 year old.
Its the right time of year for them and they are indoor plants, we used to
buy those for our kids at Xmas but I would think you can buy them now.
You could also try germinating the everyday seeds such as apple and orange
pips, avocados, dates, etc. Do a google you'll find germinating
instructions. Its probably the wrong time of year for these as well, but
they will at least germinate in the warmth of an airing cupboard or similar.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 31-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Rod

"anita" wrote in message you don't know of any seeds i can sow now
it is just the children are taking an interest and i don't want to
disappoint them , (5yrs old)
--
anita
Anita X

Depends how much room you have or if you're into Bonsai. Many trees and shrubs need a spell of winter cold and damp
in order to germinate so look around for those. Conkers, Acorns, Chestnuts, Sycamore and other Acers are all good
for kids - germination just about guaranteeed next spring and fairly substantial plants from the word go. My grand
daughter (10yo) raised a conker from seed some years ago and it's now growing very happily in our woodland garden
so we have to make a pilgrimage to Rebecca's tree every time she comes here. I hope her own children will get seeds
from it one day.
Switching back to prosaic mode - get some broad beans in in the next 2 or 3 weeks ;~)) Oh and still time for some
Sweet peas - my colleague at work got us some old fashioned 'pre-Spencer' sweet peas from a local Sweet pea
society - grew them this year for the first time, wonderful perfume and delicate understated blooms - they're good
for kids, again germination almost guaranteed - this years crop is showing around 86%. Over winter in your cold
frame with minimal protection.
What about the Broad bean in a tall glass jar trick? - pressed against the glass by damp blotting paper. Watch
roots and shoots develop.

Rod

Old 31-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Jim Paterson

"anita" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello everyone

I have a question, I am TRYING to grow seeds in cold frame, the plants
are growing ok but some kind of moss is growing in all the trays also,
am i over watering or something, i am new to gardening to it is all
learn as i go, also can i buy mulch at garden centres.
--
anita
Anita X

Anita, we never do anything WRONG in the garden. What we do is gain
experience.
My sweetpeas which normally get sown around 10th October will be rather
later this year but they are going in nevertheless even if it is mid
November. Out in the cold frame.
Jim or to go back to my old signature, Jim 2