Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Michael Savage

Default Spec for greenhouse electical fittings

Hi all

I've tried Google on this one with no luck - sorry if it's been raised
before, I must have used the wrong search terms...

I am about to get an electricity supply to my greenhouse. The actual
connection work will be done by a qualified electrician but he has never
worked on a greenhouse before and can't really advise on the best standard
for fittings.

My Screwfix catalogue has weatherproof fittings to IP55 and IP66, and the
IP55 looked OK to me...but when I went to the local electrical supply shop
they had a lot of other IP ratings, leaving me confused. I have now checked
the HSE document explaining the IP system so I see what the numbers mean...

But what is the most appropriate for a greenhouse? I suppose few people go
for IP66 which requires the use of special plugs to ensure waterproofness
(?).

Also - any tips on locating the sockets? How many (know I'll be using fan
heater, soil cables, light)? Ways of fixing in an aluminium greenhouse?

Ta in anticipation

Michael S

ps about to become a dad any day now so sorry if I disappear from any
discussion!