Old 03-11-2003, 01:02 AM
David Hill

Default OT Ebay warning

Don't know if it is genuine, but just had an e mail supposedly from e bay
wanting me to update all my credit card info and other security details.
Looks to me to be like the scam supposedly from your bank asking the same.
Just a warning.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-11-2003, 01:23 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 01:00:01 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

Don't know if it is genuine, but just had an e mail supposedly from e bay
wanting me to update all my credit card info and other security details.
Looks to me to be like the scam supposedly from your bank asking the same.
Just a warning.

This page might prove useful if you've received one of these emails:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/education/sp...ial/index.html

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 03-11-2003, 06:12 AM
anne

David Hill wrote in message
Don't know if it is genuine, but just had an e mail supposedly from e bay
wanting me to update all my credit card info and other security details.
Looks to me to be like the scam supposedly from your bank asking the same.
Just a warning.

Yes, I've had a couple of these mails. I've also had a mail from barclays
which was quite interesting as I've never had an account with them!

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message
Don't know if it is genuine, but just had an e mail supposedly from e bay
wanting me to update all my credit card info and other security details.
Looks to me to be like the scam supposedly from your bank asking the same.
Just a warning.

I had the same some time ago. That is a scam all right. EBay have nothing
to do with actual financial transactions. Their function is only to oversee
the bidding and to put the vendor and buyer into contact

Franz

Old 03-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Kate Morgan

Don't know if it is genuine, but just had an e mail supposedly from e bay
wanting me to update all my credit card info and other security details.
Looks to me to be like the scam supposedly from your bank asking the same.
Just a warning.

I had the same some time ago. That is a scam all right. EBay have nothing
to do with actual financial transactions. Their function is only to oversee
the bidding and to put the vendor and buyer into contact

Franz
Yes me too, it is a baddy, ebay would not ask anyone for that sort of

information. I wonder how many peeps fell for it
kate

Old 03-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Philip

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"David Hill" wrote in message
Don't know if it is genuine, but just had an e mail supposedly from e bay
wanting me to update all my credit card info and other security details.
Looks to me to be like the scam supposedly from your bank asking the same.
Just a warning.

I had the same some time ago. That is a scam all right. EBay have nothing
to do with actual financial transactions. Their function is only to oversee
the bidding and to put the vendor and buyer into contact

Franz

Franz, This is not quite true. Ebay bought out Paypal a little while
back and so have access to a whole load of credit card and bank
account details.

See here http://news.com.com/2100-1017-941964.html

Paypal themselves are not free of poor publicity :

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...aypal+problems

I will still use Ebay myself, but will not pay for items
electronically.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Jim W

Franz Heymann wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
Don't know if it is genuine, but just had an e mail supposedly from e bay
wanting me to update all my credit card info and other security details.
Looks to me to be like the scam supposedly from your bank asking the same.
Just a warning.

I had the same some time ago. That is a scam all right. EBay have nothing
to do with actual financial transactions.

Other than when people pay their eBay fees of course;-) Ebay wouldn;t
exist if it didn't make money Franz, and people ahve to pay them
somehow;-)
/
Old 03-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 06:03:31 -0000, anne wrote:

I've also had a mail from barclays which was quite interesting as
I've never had an account with them!

Didn't look at the header closely enough, it wasn't from Barclays. I
had that one and an almost identical one from "Nationwide".

Judging by Barclays online site it must be a fairly serious problem.
Security information when you sign in (with tick box to say you've
read it) and when you sign out. I guess there are an awful lot of
people out ther who implicitly trust computers, probably the same ones
who believe what they read in the newspapers...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 03-11-2003, 04:04 PM
JennyC

"Philip" wrote
snipped
I will still use Ebay myself, but will not pay for items
electronically.

What I find so funny is that we are all paranoid (me too) about not using our
credit card on-line, but will happily hand it over in restaurants orwhathaveyou
where they might be just as untrustworthy !
Jenny

Old 03-11-2003, 05:25 PM
Franz Heymann

m...

"David Hill" wrote in message
Don't know if it is genuine, but just had an e mail supposedly from e

bay
wanting me to update all my credit card info and other security

details.
Looks to me to be like the scam supposedly from your bank asking the

same.
Just a warning.

I had the same some time ago. That is a scam all right. EBay have

nothing
to do with actual financial transactions. Their function is only to

oversee
the bidding and to put the vendor and buyer into contact

Franz

Franz, This is not quite true. Ebay bought out Paypal a little while
back and so have access to a whole load of credit card and bank
account details.

I did not know that.

Paypal themselves are not free of poor publicity :

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...aypal+problems

I will still use Ebay myself, but will not pay for items
electronically.

I will go on using Ebay, since I, too, always insist on paying with the help
of old fashioned paper cheques.

Franz

Old 03-11-2003, 05:25 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g3um5j.o0hrs41wr1yrhN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Franz Heymann wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
Don't know if it is genuine, but just had an e mail supposedly from e

bay
wanting me to update all my credit card info and other security

details.
Looks to me to be like the scam supposedly from your bank asking the

same.
Just a warning.

I had the same some time ago. That is a scam all right. EBay have

nothing
to do with actual financial transactions.

Other than when people pay their eBay fees of course;-) Ebay wouldn;t
exist if it didn't make money Franz, and people ahve to pay them
somehow;-)

{:-)) Granted. But since I am always a buyer and not a vendor, that does
not concern me.

Franz

Old 03-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Franz Heymann

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Philip" wrote
snipped
I will still use Ebay myself, but will not pay for items
electronically.

What I find so funny is that we are all paranoid (me too) about not using

our
credit card on-line, but will happily hand it over in restaurants

orwhathaveyou
where they might be just as untrustworthy !

I am afraid that I am paranoid about that as well. I don't like the way the
card gets whisked away into the nether regions and pushed through some
secret machine. I always draw cash before going to a restaurant.

Franz

Old 03-11-2003, 06:43 PM
David Hill

If anyone else gets this then forward it to

I am thinking of signing up with
www.fastpay.com for use with my web site,
Looks quite good to me, and no sending your credit card details with any
order.
Anyone here used them?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

What I find so funny is that we are all paranoid (me too) about not
using our
credit card on-line, but will happily hand it over in restaurants
orwhathaveyou
where they might be just as untrustworthy !

I don't! Mine never go anywhere unchaperoned, *especially* in
restaurants or hotels.

Janet.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Tumbleweed

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Philip" wrote
snipped
I will still use Ebay myself, but will not pay for items
electronically.

What I find so funny is that we are all paranoid (me too) about not

using
our
credit card on-line, but will happily hand it over in restaurants

orwhathaveyou
where they might be just as untrustworthy !

I am afraid that I am paranoid about that as well. I don't like the way

the
card gets whisked away into the nether regions and pushed through some
secret machine. I always draw cash before going to a restaurant.

Franz

What difference does it mak,e they have the details from the transacion
anyway, and there is nothing to stop them being put online should someone
wish to.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

WARNING Help with growing vegetables Rubystars United Kingdom 14 14-01-2004 06:35 PM
Frost warning ?? JennyC United Kingdom 2 23-04-2003 06:48 PM
warning about mulch Allegra Roses 0 04-04-2003 05:44 AM
Another unusual poison warning - this time for dog owners jane taylor United Kingdom 7 01-04-2003 11:08 PM
(LONG) Warning on global warming Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 03-01-2003 06:33 AM