Old 07-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Sarah Dale

Default Summer Fruiting Raspberries out of sync

Hi All,

Due to the lovely weather this summer, my summer fruiting raspberries are
just coming to the end of a second crop. Yes, I have been picking a second
crop of summer raspberries at the same time as this years crop of autumn
raspberries.....

I had the first summer crop June/July time, I'd pruned out the fruited canes, and
tied in the new canes. Then the new canes went and flowered and fruited!
This crop is now coming to an end with the bad weather.

My question is how and when should I prune these canes??? After all they
should have fruited NEXT summer, not this summer/autumn!!

My only idea at present is just to prune the top off each cane that has
fruited, i.e. just the area that has fruited.

Any ideas group?

TIA, Sarah
Old 07-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Sarah
Dale writes
Hi All,

Due to the lovely weather this summer, my summer fruiting raspberries are
just coming to the end of a second crop. Yes, I have been picking a second
crop of summer raspberries at the same time as this years crop of autumn
raspberries.....

I had the first summer crop June/July time, I'd pruned out the fruited canes,
and
tied in the new canes. Then the new canes went and flowered and fruited!
This crop is now coming to an end with the bad weather.

My question is how and when should I prune these canes??? After all they
should have fruited NEXT summer, not this summer/autumn!!

My only idea at present is just to prune the top off each cane that has
fruited, i.e. just the area that has fruited.

Any ideas group?

We had the same thing happen to one batch of raspberries last year.
We did more or less what you are suggesting, by cutting about a third of
the canes back. This year they have done the same thing, i.e. fruited
both summer and autumn - we are still picking the last few berries. I
would suggest that you do what you have in mind or you would be left
next year with no fruiting canes. This doesn't make any sense in terms
of normally accepted raspberry culture, but sometimes plants choose to
act according to nature rather than to the gardener's wishes. I suppose
the odd behaviour is due to rising average temperatures.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:13 AM
Sarah Dale

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 06:44:24 +0000, Alan Gould wrote:
We had the same thing happen to one batch of raspberries last year.
We did more or less what you are suggesting, by cutting about a third of
the canes back. This year they have done the same thing, i.e. fruited
both summer and autumn - we are still picking the last few berries. I
would suggest that you do what you have in mind or you would be left
next year with no fruiting canes. This doesn't make any sense in terms
of normally accepted raspberry culture, but sometimes plants choose to
act according to nature rather than to the gardener's wishes. I suppose
the odd behaviour is due to rising average temperatures.

Hi Alan,

Glad to hear it worked for you last year. I shall harvest the last of the
berries and prune them down about 18 inches or so - that should get them
clear of the washing line, and leave enough wood for berries next year.
I do so love raspberries - I wouldn't want to miss any next year!

Thanks,

Sarah