Old 21-09-2011, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberries fruiting

I was absolutely astonished to find that the early raspberry plants are
producing new fruit, do you think they will ripen?

Alan

Old 22-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.holmes View Post
I was absolutely astonished to find that the early raspberry plants are producing new fruit, do you think they will ripen?
That ordepens on the weather, which I will not dare to predict. However whilst they may well turn red and soften, and have a lovely raspberry flavour, they will likely be a lot less sweet than ones ripened in the summer, is my experience of later raspberries. So more useful for jam, desserts made up with sugar, etc, than eating straight off the spoon. One year the frosts held off long enough that I picked some raspberries in December.
Old 22-09-2011, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , echinosum.8f0a9d6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

alan.holmes;937228 Wrote:
I was absolutely astonished to find that the early raspberry plants are
producing new fruit, do you think they will ripen?

That ordepens on the weather, which I will not dare to predict. However
whilst they may well turn red and soften, and have a lovely raspberry
flavour, they will likely be a lot less sweet than ones ripened in the
summer, is my experience of later raspberries. So more useful for jam,
desserts made up with sugar, etc, than eating straight off the spoon.
One year the frosts held off long enough that I picked some raspberries
in December.

I get this most years on the new canes.

What I am never sure about is how much, if at all, it effects the
cropping the following summer. One year I might try and nip out all the
flower buds on some canes as they develop, and see what happens!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales