Old 09-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Sally Thompson

Default First frog

Just had to share this with members of the NG - our pond was only
finished at the end of September, and while clearing leaves today I
was delighted to discover (and replace) a huge frog! Don't know what
breed, but it was unusually browny-red on top - perfectly camouflaged
by the oak leaves. ( Will try to google for it.)

Made my day.

--
Sally in Shropshire
See my garden on http://stonybrook.users.btopenworld.com/garden.html

Old 09-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Sally Thompson
writes

Just had to share this with members of the NG - our pond was only
finished at the end of September, and while clearing leaves today I
was delighted to discover (and replace) a huge frog! Don't know what
breed, but it was unusually browny-red on top - perfectly camouflaged
by the oak leaves. ( Will try to google for it.)

Made my day.

Lucky you ))))))

While I was clearing leaves out of our little pond today, I discovered a
tadpole!!!!! How on earth can we have tadpoles in mid November? !!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:23 PM
ned

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

Just had to share this with members of the NG - our pond was only
finished at the end of September, and while clearing leaves today I
was delighted to discover (and replace) a huge frog! Don't know

what
breed, but it was unusually browny-red on top - perfectly

camouflaged
by the oak leaves. ( Will try to google for it.)

Made my day.

Sally,
The common frog, Rana temporaria, comes in various mottled colours
from yellow ochre, brown, through green to grey, occasionally dark
grey - and red. The red version is not common but has been known and
recorded since at least 1908.
'Don't know if anyone has done any research into the colour variations
but it may well be habitat influenced.
What causes a lot of confusion these days, is that there is an
introduced problem called, explicitly enough, 'red leg disease'.
A 'huge' common frog will almost certainly be a mature female.
........ Perhaps you would care to confirm that with a microscopic
examination of its genitalia? ;-)

--
ned

Old 09-11-2003, 08:32 PM
martin

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 20:14:47 -0000, "ned" wrote:

The common frog, Rana temporaria, comes in various mottled colours
from yellow ochre, brown, through green to grey, occasionally dark
grey - and red. The red version is not common but has been known and
recorded since at least 1908.
'Don't know if anyone has done any research into the colour variations
but it may well be habitat influenced.
What causes a lot of confusion these days, is that there is an
introduced problem called, explicitly enough, 'red leg disease'.
A 'huge' common frog will almost certainly be a mature female.
....... Perhaps you would care to confirm that with a microscopic
examination of its genitalia? ;-)

I hate to be old fashioned, but isn't it normal to just kiss a frog on
a first date?
--
Martin
Old 09-11-2003, 09:03 PM
ned

"martin" wrote in message
[...]

Why would Sally ever consider kissing a female frog?
Martin. Really!!!

--
ned

Old 09-11-2003, 09:24 PM
martin

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:01:34 -0000, "ned" wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Would she microscopically examine it's genitalia?

Martin. Really!!!

It could turn into a person, who we are not allowed to mention.
--
Martin
Old 09-11-2003, 09:43 PM
ned

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:01:34 -0000, "ned" wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

snip
A 'huge' common frog will almost certainly be a mature female.
....... Perhaps you would care to confirm that with a

microscopic
examination of its genitalia? ;-)

I hate to be old fashioned, but isn't it normal to just kiss a

frog
on
a first date?

Why would Sally ever consider kissing a female frog?

Would she microscopically examine it's genitalia?

Martin. Really!!!

It could turn into a person, who we are not allowed to mention.

...... You're not suggesting that the ..." 'person' " ... might be
......... ??????

Are you?

--
ned

Old 09-11-2003, 10:03 PM
martin

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:43:01 -0000, "ned" wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:01:34 -0000, "ned" wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

snip
A 'huge' common frog will almost certainly be a mature female.
....... Perhaps you would care to confirm that with a

microscopic
examination of its genitalia? ;-)

I hate to be old fashioned, but isn't it normal to just kiss a

frog
on
a first date?

Why would Sally ever consider kissing a female frog?

Would she microscopically examine it's genitalia?

Martin. Really!!!

It could turn into a person, who we are not allowed to mention.

..... You're not suggesting that the ..." 'person' " ... might be
........ ??????

Are you?

probably, but the experts report on the microscopic examination is
utterly confidential, until after it has been published in the Sun and
and Bilt on Monday
--
Martin
Old 09-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Sally Thompson

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 20:14:47 -0000, "ned" wrote:

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

Just had to share this with members of the NG - our pond was only
finished at the end of September, and while clearing leaves today I
was delighted to discover (and replace) a huge frog! Don't know

what
breed, but it was unusually browny-red on top - perfectly

camouflaged
by the oak leaves. ( Will try to google for it.)

Made my day.

snip
A 'huge' common frog will almost certainly be a mature female.
....... Perhaps you would care to confirm that with a microscopic
examination of its genitalia? ;-)

I'll get my torch....

Old 10-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Tumbleweed

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Sally Thompson
writes

Just had to share this with members of the NG - our pond was only
finished at the end of September, and while clearing leaves today I
was delighted to discover (and replace) a huge frog! Don't know what
breed, but it was unusually browny-red on top - perfectly camouflaged
by the oak leaves. ( Will try to google for it.)

Made my day.

Lucky you ))))))

While I was clearing leaves out of our little pond today, I discovered a
tadpole!!!!! How on earth can we have tadpoles in mid November? !!!!!!

Not enough food so it didnt mature. I'm not sure if they can overwinter,
I've certainly seen tadpoles in my pond in late Sept.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 10-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Alan Gabriel

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..
"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Sally Thompson
writes

Just had to share this with members of the NG - our pond was only
finished at the end of September, and while clearing leaves today I
was delighted to discover (and replace) a huge frog! Don't know what
breed, but it was unusually browny-red on top - perfectly camouflaged
by the oak leaves. ( Will try to google for it.)

Made my day.

Lucky you ))))))

While I was clearing leaves out of our little pond today, I discovered a
tadpole!!!!! How on earth can we have tadpoles in mid November? !!!!!!

Not enough food so it didnt mature. I'm not sure if they can overwinter,
I've certainly seen tadpoles in my pond in late Sept.

They can overwinter. A couple of years ago I large tadpoles and frog spawn
in the pond at the same time.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 13-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Dave

Sally Thompson writes

Just had to share this with members of the NG - our pond was only
finished at the end of September, and while clearing leaves today I
was delighted to discover (and replace) a huge frog! Don't know what
breed, but it was unusually browny-red on top - perfectly camouflaged
by the oak leaves. ( Will try to google for it.)

Made my day.

Just to add I was moving three gooseberry bushes last weekend, and
discovered 2 toads and one frog, one under each bush (and each a
different colour). So its not babies that appear under gooseberry bushes
after all..........
--
David