Old 21-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Franz Heymann

Default where to buy diabetic bread in London?

"David Hill" wrote in message
"..........That reminds me, whats the best way to prune back roses ?
With a carving knife or axe dear .........2

Seems that a Hedge trimmer gives very good results.

That's right. Remember the results of just such an experiment, reported in
Which Gardening?

It's high time somebody said it:
Roses are one of mother nature toughest and most obliging shrubs. They will
recover remarkably well from *any* hacking. It is just that some hacking
methods leave a tidier plant than others.

So in short: Cut off whatever growth you think the plant could do without,
preferably making the cut just above a bud.

{:-))

Franz

Old 21-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tone" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:07:55 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Peter Crosland20/11/03 1:34
. uk

The bottom line is that all "special" food products claimed to be

beneficial
for diabetics are a con and have no medical benefit that cannot be

gained
from using appropriate quantities of normal foods. It is astonishing

that
the trading standards authorities have not prosecuted retailers for
misrepresenting these products.

Peter Crosland

This has nothing to do with uk.rec.gardening. It would be very courteous

of
you all to stop the cross posting. Thank you.

You dont have Diabetic Gardeners ?

That matter has been raised a little higher in this selfsame thread.

Franz

Old 22-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Cerumen

"Terry Blunt" wrote in message
n.co.uk...
"Franz Heymann" wrote:
Wow!

I didn't realise HE had become involved!

Only to the level of meeting my ever expanding killfile. Follow-ups set to
where I saw it first.

--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 25-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Nutmeg

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:32:53 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

"..........My neighbour is diabetic and has been buying expensive

imported
diabetic bread. Does anyone know where this can be bought in London at
reasonable prices? ....."

I presume she has contact with a Diabetic clinic locally.
She should ask their advice.
This site may help a little with contacts
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/home.htm

David, I missed the start of this thread, so apologies for following
up on your post.

Diabetics in general need to watch their carbohydrate intake and be
selective in it's type. For Type 2 diabetics (aka late onset diabetes,
aka NIDDM), ordinary white bread is one of the sources of carbohydrate
best avoided (for example, it's worse than sugar, the substance most
non-diabetics think diabetics have to avoid like the plague). Whole
grain breads (e.g. rye bread, pumpernickel) are more suitable. There
are also breads based on other flours such as soy or gram flour that
are also more appropriate (Bergen soy and linseed is one such,
available in most supermarkets).

Most so-called diabetic foods are a scam. They're expensive and are
often worse for diabetics than the normal item. Boots no longer stock
them, for that reason. This 'diabetic bread' may well be one such, or
may just be a bread not based on wheat flour, or have a lower
carbohydrate content per slice. Either way, I suggest your friend
considers some of the alternatives I've suggested.

You could also try asking on alt.support.diabetes.uk

What's it got to do with gardening?

--
Chris

yeah, we all know diabetic gardeners are like the tooth fairy.... they don't
exist....
Nutmeg
Nutmeg Productions Ltd
www.nutmegproductions.com
competitions/ cams / jokes / caricatures of you lot