Old 24-11-2003, 07:33 PM
Rod

Default OT threads

JennyC wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
My local garden centre has closed the garden equipment section

completely
I wanted one of those thingamabobs that show the moisture in the soil

but
they were out of reach behind the Xmas baubles..........grrrrrrrr

They are about as close to a fraud as it is possible to be without

actually
being one. They effectively measure the electrical conductivity of the
soil, of which the moisture content is but one contributing cause..
Franz

Possibly true but they do seem to work for me :~)
Do you know of a better / cheaper / more efficient method ?

Small and moderate pots: Feel the weight. One gets used to judging.
Large pots and open soil: Scrabble in it and see if it is moist an inch or
so beolw the surface.
Franz

I have too many pots in the GH to do that :~)
Jenny

Probably easier for me 'cos I'm living with the plants on a daily basis. If you're
in constant touch like that a quick walk through the greenhouse with your eyes
open should be sufficient. With plants you know you can spot water stress at 20
paces. I suppose if I wanted an excuse to spend more time in the greenhouse I
could get a frock coat and stovepipe hat and go tapping each (earthenware) pot
with my cane. Doesn't work with these newfangled plastic things we use nowadays.

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/~rodcraddock/