Old 22-11-2003, 02:09 AM
David Hill

Default How does one kill plants?

".........BTW, it's by miles the best lavatory cleaner.........."

Well that's known as cutting out the middle man.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-11-2003, 02:09 AM
Michael Berridge

Franz Heymann wrote in message ...

In the growing season, glyphosate is pretty good at it.
I hesitate to suggest the use of liberal doses of sodiunm chlotate,

because
I don't know what happens next to the patch you want to kill.

I wonder if mid-January is going to be a propitious time for mucking

about
outside with clay bricks. What do you propose to put below the bricks?

Given the name of the poster is may be germane to assume that she lives
in that country whose rugby team is gonna be slaughtered in the World
Cup final, in that case it is now summer there, and her plants will be
growing, and January will be our June, so ideal for bricklaying.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 22-11-2003, 02:09 AM
martin

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:51:42 -0000, "Michael Berridge"
wrote:

Franz Heymann wrote in message ...

In the growing season, glyphosate is pretty good at it.
I hesitate to suggest the use of liberal doses of sodiunm chlotate,

because
I don't know what happens next to the patch you want to kill.

I wonder if mid-January is going to be a propitious time for mucking

about
outside with clay bricks. What do you propose to put below the bricks?

Given the name of the poster is may be germane to assume that she lives
in that country whose rugby team is gonna be slaughtered in the World
Cup final, in that case it is now summer there, and her plants will be
growing, and January will be our June, so ideal for bricklaying.

and she is going to plant the losing team under the bricks or what?
--
Martin
Old 22-11-2003, 02:09 AM
Philip

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
why does everyone suggest chemicals? Get stuck in and pull the plants &
weeds you dont want out.Level off put down landscape fabric,then put
whatever you want on top,mulch,pebbles, patio etc.You shoudnt have any
problems with weeds coming back with landscape fabric,but you will with
chemicals!!
kenty;-)

Here here.

Old 22-11-2003, 09:48 AM
jane

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:16:38 +0000, Ron Clark wrote:

~On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:40:10 +1100, aussie gal wrote:
~
~Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some
~help.
~
~I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything
~off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in
~this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could
~use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?
~
~Many thanks in advance.
~
~Agent Orange has been shown to be efficacious but
~seriously, there are commercially-available total herbicides
~around and you could also incorporate a plastic liner under a couple
~of inches of hardcore

If I want a plant dead I just give it to my mother.

:-)

seriously, I'd agree with the pull everything out people, then put old
carpet down to prevent regermination, then pre-bricklaying, put down a
decent layer of weedsuppressing fabric, which you need anyway.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 22-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Robert

Reluctantly

Old 22-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Pouring petrol on plants does kill them very effectively.... Unfortunatly, petrol leaches in to ground water and travels all over the place making the soil toxic. If you do this, don't be suprised if patches of lawn and shrubs the other side of the garden start to die since it's leached over there below the ground. Also, if you have a well in your garden and you use it for water to drink, it helps to develop a taste for solvents and a healthy attitude towards liver damage for the rest of your life... Even fractional ammounts in water (less than you can even taste or smell) can cause major health problems, and don't think it will wash away easily or quickly from the soil - I've heard about petrol leaks from abandoned almost empty petrol station tanks turning up in someone's water supply several streets from the souce months after it leaked. Oils spread out in water, thus a quart of petrol can poison a massive amount of water, over 50 gallons in fact. If something like five gallons of petrol poisoned a family who lived in a house the other end of the street to the garage, think what dumping just a half gallon in your own garden could go to the water.

Petrol and oil should never be dumped in soil or down household drains because even small ammounts will cause massive ground water polution. If you want to dispose of it, bottle it up, mark it as petrol/oil and take it to the dump where they can get rid of it properly.
Old 22-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

snip Another damn typo. Chlorate.

Always proof read in case you have left any out.

Touche

Franz

Old 22-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message

Franz Heymann wrote in message ...

In the growing season, glyphosate is pretty good at it.
I hesitate to suggest the use of liberal doses of sodiunm chlotate,

because
I don't know what happens next to the patch you want to kill.

I wonder if mid-January is going to be a propitious time for mucking

about
outside with clay bricks. What do you propose to put below the bricks?

Given the name of the poster is may be germane to assume that she lives
in that country whose rugby team is gonna be slaughtered in the World
Cup final,

Halleluja! It was!

in that case it is now summer there, and her plants will be
growing, and January will be our June, so ideal for bricklaying.

If your deduction is right, which it probably is, I drivelled.

Franz