Old 08-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Joe Bloggs

Default Multiflower hyacinths

At my local garden centre this week they had in hyacinths with multiple
heads in pots. Had to get one. I've never seen these in bulb catalogues.
Are they 'true' hyacinths ?? Have I been had ? It looks like a big fat
hyacinth but with lots of babies stuck on (which is what it probably
is..) and has about 6 flower shoots. Looking forward to it blooming
anyway. I think the perfume is magic.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:09 PM
annet planten

Joe Bloggs schreef:

At my local garden centre this week they had in hyacinths with multiple
heads in pots. Had to get one. I've never seen these in bulb catalogues.
Are they 'true' hyacinths ?? Have I been had ?

No, you haven't
I bougt the same last year and did some searching on the whereabouts
of this ,ehm, multiheaded monstrum. It was labeled as 'wild
hyancinth', which made me suspicious.
I haven't saved the link, but it was the product of a dutch breeder,
who had the guts (or was innocent enough) to describe the whole
process of growing/lifting/suppressing-main-shoot on his site. Took
him about three years to produce a multibulbed bulb like this,
starting with one.

I planted the lot in my garden, after flowering and dying back. This
month, I saw five heads popping up, instead of the 11 or 12 last year.
My guess is that the dragon will behave as a normal being next year.

Bye, Annet

~~~
Misschien staat het antwoord op je brandende
plantenvraag al in de FAQ van nl.tuinen...
http://www.in-de-tuin.dds.nl/nl-tuinen/FAQ/tuinen.htm
Old 10-12-2003, 10:20 PM
annet planten

Joe Bloggs schreef:

[...]

Grape Hyacinths Michael United Kingdom 39 12-04-2003 12:20 PM
Water Hyacinths ~ jan Ponds 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
hyacinths Sabaa Mundia Gardening 1 27-03-2003 06:32 PM
Hyacinths in New York Polar Gardening 4 25-03-2003 05:20 PM
Grape hyacinths JennyC United Kingdom 13 22-03-2003 11:29 AM