Old 09-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Kay Easton

Default slugs

Spotted in Waterstones today:

50 Ways to kill a slug

Also, and far more in tune with my way of gardening:

All you wanted to know about slugs

... which had ways in which to cope with them without killing them.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-12-2003, 06:03 PM
martin

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:37:14 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

Spotted in Waterstones today:

50 Ways to kill a slug

Did it include squashing them between two copies of the book after
it's remaindered?

...51 ways to kill a slug

Also, and far more in tune with my way of gardening:

All you wanted to know about slugs

.. which had ways in which to cope with them without killing them.

and ...

Understanding your slugs eating habits.

and ...

More than a snail without a shell

.... and finally

a slug is not just for Christmas.
--
Martin
Old 09-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Mary Fisher

50 Ways to kill a slug

Also, and far more in tune with my way of gardening:

All you wanted to know about slugs

.. which had ways in which to cope with them without killing them.

Aren't you going to tell us?

:-)

Mary
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 09-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

50 Ways to kill a slug

Also, and far more in tune with my way of gardening:

All you wanted to know about slugs

.. which had ways in which to cope with them without killing them.

Aren't you going to tell us?

:-)

I only glanced through it!

On each left hand page was a description of some aspect of the slugs
behaviour, and on the RHS was how you could turn this to your advantage.
Some fairly naff, like slugs like young tender growth, so avoid planting
out young seedlings (I think we'd all worked that one our for
ourselves), but some people seem to have found 'sacrificial plants' work
well - one lady reckoned growing forget-me-not everywhere meant the
slugs went for that rather than everything else. Certainly a hosta that
seomone gave me is surviving relatively well planted down amongst some
hellebores whereas slug food plants up on the terrace are reduced to 1mm
of bare stem.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-12-2003, 09:39 PM
martin

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:58:22 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

50 Ways to kill a slug

Also, and far more in tune with my way of gardening:

All you wanted to know about slugs

.. which had ways in which to cope with them without killing them.

Aren't you going to tell us?

:-)

I only glanced through it!

On each left hand page was a description of some aspect of the slugs
behaviour, and on the RHS was how you could turn this to your advantage.
Some fairly naff, like slugs like young tender growth, so avoid planting
out young seedlings (I think we'd all worked that one our for
ourselves),

LOL!
More of a know your enemy book then.

but some people seem to have found 'sacrificial plants' work
well - one lady reckoned growing forget-me-not everywhere meant the
slugs went for that rather than everything else. Certainly a hosta that
seomone gave me is surviving relatively well planted down amongst some
hellebores whereas slug food plants up on the terrace are reduced to 1mm
of bare stem.

our slugs' weakness is a taste for beer.
--
Martin

Old 09-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

On each left hand page was a description of some aspect of the slugs
behaviour, and on the RHS

It's by the RHS then??? LOL

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Mary Fisher

Aren't you going to tell us?

:-)

I only glanced through it!

On each left hand page was a description of some aspect of the slugs
behaviour, and on the RHS was how you could turn this to your advantage.
Some fairly naff, like slugs like young tender growth, so avoid planting
out young seedlings (I think we'd all worked that one our for
ourselves), but some people seem to have found 'sacrificial plants' work
well - one lady reckoned growing forget-me-not everywhere meant the
slugs went for that rather than everything else. Certainly a hosta that
seomone gave me is surviving relatively well planted down amongst some
hellebores whereas slug food plants up on the terrace are reduced to 1mm
of bare stem.

Perhaps everyone here knows about it but I was interested in the CT method
of laying comfrey leaves round a vegetable plot. Trouble is, I can't
remember anything else about the system except that it's time critical ...
the leaflet is somewhere and I could find it if no-one else comes up with
the instructions.

Mary

Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 09-12-2003, 10:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
Spotted in Waterstones today:

50 Ways to kill a slug

Also, and far more in tune with my way of gardening:

All you wanted to know about slugs

.. which had ways in which to cope with them without killing them.

Like building little signposted tunnels under the boundary to lead them to
the neighbour's garden?

Franz

Old 09-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Spotted in Waterstones today:

50 Ways to kill a slug

Did it include squashing them between two copies of the book after
it's remaindered?

..51 ways to kill a slug

Also, and far more in tune with my way of gardening:

All you wanted to know about slugs

.. which had ways in which to cope with them without killing them.

and ...

Understanding your slugs eating habits.

and ...

More than a snail without a shell

... and finally

a slug is not just for Christmas.

True. I have a slug of Laphroig this time every evening of the year.

Fr5anz

Old 09-12-2003, 10:48 PM
martin

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:31:05 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

a slug is not just for Christmas.

True. I have a slug of Laphroig this time every evening of the year.

Fr5anz

Hence the typos?

:-))
--
Martin

Old 09-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Zizz

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
Spotted in Waterstones today:

50 Ways to kill a slug

Also, and far more in tune with my way of gardening:

All you wanted to know about slugs

.. which had ways in which to cope with them without killing them.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

This year I stopped using any form of killing slugs and found that whilst
slug damage still occured it was less than when actively trying to kill
them!

Old 09-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Perhaps everyone here knows about it but I was interested in the CT method
of laying comfrey leaves round a vegetable plot. Trouble is, I can't
remember anything else about the system except that it's time critical ...

What's CT?

I've been advocating fresh comfrey and dried bracken as slug
deterrents for years; slugs really dislike going under or over scratchy
stuff.Cut whole stems of a comfrey such as Bocking 14 (which produces
lots of huge rough leaves each up to a foot long), and lay them around
new transplants of brassicas beans and corn etc. In years when the
comfrey comes up in time, I also put chopped fresh leaves in the
planting holes with seed potatoes.

Slugs also dislike seaweed mulches; fresh seaweed is salty and the
older stuff becomes dry and scratchy.

Janet.