Old 12-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Freezing

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

too early to say for the cyclamen and also for the
second lot of Chionadoxa, the first lot got dug up and disappeared!

Squirrels, most likely. Grave robbers tend to be fairly rare, mercifully.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 12-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Dave

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:33:52 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

"........... Problem is I always promised my late wife that I would always
have flowers at her grave, ........"

I would have a vase of fresh flowers in the house next to a picture of her
when the weather makes it impossible to have flowers on the grave..........I
am sure she would understand

Thanks thats a lovely thought, what a brilliant compromise, what with
the ideas ive had for the grave and your idea I cant go wroing. many
thanks Dave
Old 13-12-2003, 12:11 AM
Bob Hobden

"Jaques wrote in message after me

too early to say for the cyclamen and also for the
second lot of Chionadoxa, the first lot got dug up and disappeared!

Squirrels, most likely. Grave robbers tend to be fairly rare, mercifully.

Not so sure, I planted the bulbs in pots and then transplanted the lot in
the green. On our next visit you could see the holes where they had been dug
out in the clumps as planted. No sign of bulbs or compost scattered about.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
347 data units completed.

Old 13-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

There's a thought then - dessicated by osmosis and freeze-dried flowers.

Not quite. When the flowers actually freeze, the osmotic motion of the
water will cease.

But the freeze-dry process will continue.

Old 13-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Jaffacake

is there any thing i can use to stop the water in the flower vases
from freezing at a grave. All the solutions Ive thoiught of would
kill the flowers. Thanks in advance Dave

Why would you want to? Even if you could prevent it, the freezing temps

will
kill the flowers anyway.

--
Tumbleweed

My mother had the same problem and instead put small pots of winter pansies
and cyclamen on the family graves... in spring she replaces them with pots
of mini spring bulbs.

Lisa