Old 14-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Rhiannon S

Default House plant question

I got a christmas cactus as a yule present for someone today. My question is,
how do I keep it flowering until the day? I got one which had only one flower
fully out and lots of buds.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Old 14-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rhiannon S
writes
I got a christmas cactus as a yule present for someone today. My question is,
how do I keep it flowering until the day? I got one which had only one flower
fully out and lots of buds.

Keep it cool (but not too close to freezing)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 14-12-2003, 10:04 PM
martin

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:01:34 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Rhiannon S
writes
I got a christmas cactus as a yule present for someone today. My question is,
how do I keep it flowering until the day? I got one which had only one flower
fully out and lots of buds.

Keep it cool (but not too close to freezing)

I've had a Christmas cactus since 1968, each year it has flowered a
little bit earlier, this year it started flowering in October.
--
Martin
Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:56:49 +0100, martin wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:01:34 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Rhiannon S
writes
I got a christmas cactus as a yule present for someone today. My question is,
how do I keep it flowering until the day? I got one which had only one flower
fully out and lots of buds.

Keep it cool (but not too close to freezing)

I've had a Christmas cactus since 1968, each year it has flowered a
little bit earlier, this year it started flowering in October.

Many 'seasonal' plants are greenhouse grown under conditions designed
to deliver peak display at a time unnatural for the plant. Bulbs sold
for early winter bloom (Amaryllis, Narcissus) have been artificially
conditioned to spring into life and bloom (indoors) when they are
planted/watered. If you maintain them over time, they will gradually
revert to normal seasonal response.

Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Aphodius

In article, Rhiannon S
writes

Uh-oh. I'll try and keep it in the warmer room theng What about light
levels, I live in a north east facing flat so after about 10 am it can be

very
dark in here?
---

Don't bother about the light. At this time of the year when schlumbergias
produce their flowers, they prefer a room without artificial light.. A
spare, unoccupied bedroom is ideal where they can have natural light during
the day and it is dark during the evening and night. However, it is most
important not to keep turning the plant around as schlumbergias are very
prone to their young buds twisting off the leaves. Put a mark on the pot
where it faces a window making sure you always keep it in that position,
that should keep most of the buds on the plant ready for flowering at
Christmas.

Aphodius

Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
martin

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:51:24 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:56:49 +0100, martin wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:01:34 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Rhiannon S
writes
I got a christmas cactus as a yule present for someone today. My question is,
how do I keep it flowering until the day? I got one which had only one flower
fully out and lots of buds.

Keep it cool (but not too close to freezing)

I've had a Christmas cactus since 1968, each year it has flowered a
little bit earlier, this year it started flowering in October.

Many 'seasonal' plants are greenhouse grown under conditions designed
to deliver peak display at a time unnatural for the plant. Bulbs sold
for early winter bloom (Amaryllis, Narcissus) have been artificially
conditioned to spring into life and bloom (indoors) when they are
planted/watered. If you maintain them over time, they will gradually
revert to normal seasonal response.

I can't complain I bought for about 2/6 from a kid selling them from
door to door.
--
Martin
Old 17-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Martin Sykes

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
I got a christmas cactus as a yule present for someone today. My question

is,
how do I keep it flowering until the day? I got one which had only one

flower
fully out and lots of buds.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: depends on what you want it changed into!

I think a thread a while ago said you mustn't turn them. If you do, they try
and turn back to the light which causes the buds to drop off

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )