Old 20-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Phil

Default Gardening Planning type of Software

Any suggestions for good garden planning t ype of software? I used to have a
Geoff Hamilton some years ago which I found very poor and wonder if today's
versions are better?

Phil

Old 20-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Sacha

Phil20/12/03 12:15 pmreply to

Any suggestions for good garden planning t ype of software? I used to have a
Geoff Hamilton some years ago which I found very poor and wonder if today's
versions are better?

Phil

This question gets asked quite often here and the general consensus seems
always to be that a pencil and a piece of paper is still the best method.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 20-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Phil

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Phil20/12/03 12:15 pmreply to

Any suggestions for good garden planning t ype of software? I used to

have a
Geoff Hamilton some years ago which I found very poor and wonder if

today's
versions are better?

Phil

This question gets asked quite often here and the general consensus seems
always to be that a pencil and a piece of paper is still the best method.
--

Sacha

I'm not surprised as I am a constant doodler.

How about software that shortlists suggestions for planting, by size or
season or colour type of thing?

Phil

Old 20-12-2003, 01:38 PM
martin

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:35:34 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Phil20/12/03 12:15 pmreply to

Any suggestions for good garden planning t ype of software? I used to have a
Geoff Hamilton some years ago which I found very poor and wonder if today's
versions are better?

Phil

This question gets asked quite often here and the general consensus seems
always to be that a pencil and a piece of paper is still the best method.

Unless you can use and have a copy of Autocad.
--
Martin
Old 20-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Zizz

"Phil" reply to group wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Phil20/12/03 12:15 pmreply to

Any suggestions for good garden planning t ype of software? I used to

have a
Geoff Hamilton some years ago which I found very poor and wonder if

today's
versions are better?

Phil

This question gets asked quite often here and the general consensus

seems
always to be that a pencil and a piece of paper is still the best

method.
--

Sacha

I'm not surprised as I am a constant doodler.

How about software that shortlists suggestions for planting, by size or
season or colour type of thing?

Phil

I think what's needed is a comprehensive plant database where you can search
on all the parameters you've mentioned, size, season of interest, colours
and a whole load of other things as well such as soil type, hardiness and
more I won't mention though you'll get my drift.
Now that'd be the piece of software I'd be interested in.
As for planning and design ... maybe a few graphical representations and
photos of types of gardens to inspire, but eventually that part is down to
the planner/designer as that's the artistry.

Old 20-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Phil20/12/03 12:15 pmreply to

Any suggestions for good garden planning t ype of software? I used to

have a
Geoff Hamilton some years ago which I found very poor and wonder if

today's
versions are better?

Phil

This question gets asked quite often here and the general consensus seems
always to be that a pencil and a piece of paper is still the best method.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

I have never used one (or wanted to!) but someone recently emailed me a
garden layout sketch done on one (asking for planting suggestions) and I
found it easier to visualise than some of the descriptions I sometimes get!
:~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-12-2003, 05:34 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Zizz" wrote in message

"Phil" reply to group wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Phil20/12/03 12:15 pmreply to

[...]

The RHS are claiming to have such a beast up and running on their web site
(haven't been and looked yet so no idea how good it is)

Old 21-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Zizz

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Zizz" wrote in message

"Phil" reply to group wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Phil20/12/03 12:15 pmreply to

[...]

From what I've seen at the RHS website, whilst it's okay (ish) I wouldn't
really rate it ... I found the BBCs garden site a whole lot more easier
et.al.
One of the major problems with plant websites is the lack of photos as well.