Old 20-12-2003, 06:05 PM
David Hill

Default Welsh National Botanic gardens

Well we went to last nights candle vigil.seemed to be a very good turnout.
BBC Wales and HTV were both there both doing live slots so should have been
some useful publicity.
We were very lucky with the weather, which. was so unlike today's wet and
windy, last night was just a light breeze and dry.
But what a pity that with all the money that has gone into the place they
don't have anything like a passable PA system, the carols afterwards would
have been helped so much with a good system, as would the organisation in
getting people to take their positions outside, the 3 men with loud hailers
we were told about didn't seem to know how to turn them on as we never heard
anything from any of them, and when you are told by the man on the
mike(Which we couldn't see) that those of you over there go out by the East
door (Not marked) and you over on that side use the South door.
Last moan..........at £1.40 for a small cup of coffee and £1.00 for a mince
pie next time I take a flask.

there are a few things still there before Xmas, and a Boxing day Guided
walk. for details see........
http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk/engl...sit/events.php

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 20-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Howard Neil

David Hill wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the report, David. I am glad there was a good turnout. I
would have been there myself but I sing in a choir and we had an
engagement last night (just down the road from the gardens, as it
happened).

I know what you mean about the sound in the greenhouse. We sang there in
2002. The acoustics are atrocious. We did not use a sound system but the
sound just seemed to melt away into the roof. It would probably take a
superb PA system to overcome that handicap.

--
Howard Neil

Old 20-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Bob Hobden

"David wrote in message
Last moan..........at £1.40 for a small cup of coffee and £1.00 for a

mince
pie next time I take a flask.

Don't ever try to buy food and drink at Kew or the RHS Wisley then, 'cause
that's cheap.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
349 data units completed.

Old 21-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Sue da Nimm

"David Hill" wrote in message
Well we went to last nights candle vigil.seemed to be a very good turnout.
BBC Wales and HTV were both there both doing live slots so should have

been
some useful publicity.snip
David Hill

We wondered if you were there, David!
We went too, along with a minibus full of neighbours.
We arrived as avid supporters but left with mixed feelings.
There was no doubting the sincerity of those at the gardens, but as someone
next to me commented:
"If they can't organise a small event like this why should we believe they
can run a business?"

In truth the whole thing relied heavily on the goodwill of those who turned
up.
We shuffled around good naturedly trying to work out what was going on and
where we should be.
We spent long periods standing around in total confusion.

The carols afterwards were hugely disappointing - far too much talking and
too much being sung AT when
what we all wanted was to sing our hearts out as a congregation and show we
were there and that we cared.

As a result I think I may have been converted to the opposite view.
I've been several times and always been impressed by the potential whilst
being left disappointed by the actual.
It's in the wrong place, under-resourced and badly promoted.

It survives because of the goodwill and enthusiasm of a few while it is
ignored by the many.
I think it deserves to survive - but it has to have some re-shaping if it is
to do so.

Old 21-12-2003, 09:42 AM
David Hill

[...]

I have to agree with you on most of your comments, though I don't think that
there is basically anything wrong with its site, close to major road and
easy to find WITH A CAR.
It needs to be linked to the Swansea Carmarthen bus route, and possibly even
during the "Season" to have a dedicated buss a couple of times a day each
way.

It could be that amongst the staff to go was their "Events organiser" but Oh
Dear they did give the impression that they wouldn't even find the brewery
let alone organise the proverbial pi** up in it.

I have been thinking (And that in it's self is a major achievement), with
That pert of Wales having had such a leading role on the development of
Organic growing over the last 15 or so years why can't the Henry Doubleday
set up have a presence there and thus run and fund a small part.
Also with so many RHS members in Wales and so little to show for our
membership why not have the RHS also have a presence and have then taking
over some part of the site, possibly some of the serious Botanical work in
conjunction with Kew and Wisley, possibly in conjunction with the University
of Wales.
With this in mind I wonder if it would be viable to have some Horticultural
courses run on site thus raising the profile of horticulture in Wales,
having working students on site, and having a good reason to keep a few good
horticural and related brains in the area.

I have a feeling Sue that they need our brains there to get them into shape,
but as the lottery just wont come my way I haven't the cash to take the
place over, doubt if they would let it go for £12.75p

Old 21-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Bob Hobden

"David wrote in message ...
"..........."If they can't organise a small event like this why should we
believe they can run a business?"

It could be that amongst the staff to go was their "Events organiser" but

Oh
Dear they did give the impression that they wouldn't even find the brewery
let alone organise the proverbial pi** up in it.

Sounds like a lot of the NHS, lots of penpushing administrators behind desks
and no Managers walking about checking, organising, being seen, etc.,

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
351 data units completed.

Old 21-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Gavin Wheeler

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:53:08 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"David wrote in message ...
"..........."If they can't organise a small event like this why should we
believe they can run a business?"

It could be that amongst the staff to go was their "Events organiser" but

Oh
Dear they did give the impression that they wouldn't even find the brewery
let alone organise the proverbial pi** up in it.

Sounds like a lot of the NHS, lots of penpushing administrators behind desks
and no Managers walking about checking, organising, being seen, etc.,

My impression is that there are one or two very efficient people
there, and a larger number of extremely well-meaning people who just
aren't forceful enough, or good enough at management, or willing to
delegate or something.

They are short staffed, no doubt about it, but there were plenty of
volunteers at the meeting at which this event was first discussed. If
a dozen or so of those had been contacted (we had all left contact
details) and briefed beforehand, the event could have gone a lot more
smoothly. As it is people were turning up at 5:30 or 6pm and *then*
being told that they needed people to (e.g.) turn the greenhouse
lights off at the appointed time - a very simple task, admittedly, but
also something that would have been trivial to arrange beforehand.

There also seem to be a lot of celebrity supporters who are not being
involved as much as they should be. Charles Stirton was (I think) the
one who arranged those postcards they were handing out (to mail to
Rhodri Morgan to show support for the gardens) but more could be made
of the support of David Bellamy, Monty Don and so on. It is all very
well having a file full of letters of support, but you really need to
get that message out to the public.

So they need a really good press officer, events organiser and so on,
but dn't have the cash to do so. A catch 22, but one that the Assembly
could sort out if they were willing to actually support this national
institution rather than protecting their own behinds.
--
Please remove "brain." before emailing me.
"Thtrap it to the bench and put a good thick bolt of lightning through
Old 21-12-2003, 12:12 PM

:
[...]
: --
: David Hill
: Abacus nurseries
: www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk
: ***2004 catalogue now available***
:
David, all these ideas sound terrific. Is it possible to 'sow the seed'
in the right places? Even a letter to your local paper might start the
ball rolling.

(Sorry, David, I pressed the wrong button. Didn't mean to email you)

Welsh gardens Dave Hill United Kingdom 2 01-07-2011 11:05 AM
For Padraig: different kinds of gardens & folliage - Commemorative 2 Cent Stamps, National Parks Centennial, Cape Hatteras National Seashore.jpg 232672 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Garden Photos 0 11-05-2007 04:10 PM
Welsh Botanic Gardens, this Friday Gavin Wheeler United Kingdom 0 16-12-2003 07:42 PM
National Botanic Gardens of Wales Gavin Wheeler United Kingdom 0 10-12-2003 05:15 PM
National Botanic Garden of Wales jane United Kingdom 38 05-11-2003 12:32 AM