Old 27-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default violas and pansies

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Yes they are bushy. They came in pots and I planted them out. They

spread
beautifully and gave a super display I love all daisy type flower

Hmmm. Want some short (about 10") Michaelmas daisies?

OH yes please))))))))))))

I will gladly pay for them

Send your address then - at this time of year the roots'll be OK in the post.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 27-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

I will do that. They will be sorely tested in this Scottish climate)

I didn't notice a climate when I lived in Scotland. All I ever got was
weather.

Old 27-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "seven" contains these words:

I am in Aberdeenshire btw.

Hmmm. Did a fish-handling course at the Torry Research Station. Had a
fiend up there somewhere too, Banchory, I think, whirlybird pilot, came
to grief in the North Sea. ¦-(

One more thing, I think I have some petunias in my garden, are they very
similar to the pansy? If so it is probably them that I got as a gift from a
member of family in the summer time, I actually got them in a hanging basket
style arrangement, and they have seeded everywhere in the garden.

Very pretty flowers )

But unhelpful to bees, I'm told. The seeds are hardy but IME the plants
are not.

Old 27-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , K
writes

Violas and pansies are lovely aren't they and they come in so many different
shades and colour combinations and they do flower for such a long time.

I've found that pansies get eaten by slugs but violas don't.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains these words:

Send your address then - at this time of year the roots'll be OK in
the post.

Oops!

tony·anson&zetnet·co·uk

But don't cut and paste!

Old 27-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"K" wrote in message

[snip]

I bought some winter pansies by mail order this year as mini plug plants

and
potted them all up on arrival in individual small pots, but although they
have survived they haven't even developed a root system, let alone

flowered.

I take it then that I am not the only one who thinks mini plug plants are a
racket.

[snip]

Franz

Old 27-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , K
writes

Violas and pansies are lovely aren't they and they come in so many

different
shades and colour combinations and they do flower for such a long time.

I've found that pansies get eaten by slugs but violas don't.

My slugs are less discerning. I lost practically all my pansies *and*
violas during a one week onslaught by an army of slugs.

Franz

Old 28-12-2003, 12:14 AM
Ophelia

"seven" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Thanks Rusty. These are small though and come in pots. I planted

some
out
in a raised bed and they soon spread. They were wonderful

Do report on their hardiness - they sound interesting.

I will do that. They will be sorely tested in this Scottish climate)

Whereabouts in Scotland are you Ophelia?

I am in Aberdeenshire

I am further south near Stirling. Tonight we have a very hard frost.

Fit like the day ma loon?))))

Old 28-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Ophelia

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

I will do that. They will be sorely tested in this Scottish climate)

I didn't notice a climate when I lived in Scotland. All I ever got was
weather.

oh yeahh... we get loads of that

Old 28-12-2003, 09:37 AM
martin

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:08:17 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , K
writes

Violas and pansies are lovely aren't they and they come in so many

different
shades and colour combinations and they do flower for such a long time.

I've found that pansies get eaten by slugs but violas don't.

My slugs are less discerning. I lost practically all my pansies *and*
violas during a one week onslaught by an army of slugs.

isn't the collective noun for slugs a coven?
--
Martin

Old 28-12-2003, 09:39 AM
martin

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:52:51 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

I will do that. They will be sorely tested in this Scottish climate)

I didn't notice a climate when I lived in Scotland. All I ever got was
weather.

oh yeahh... we get loads of that

The same here and big skies full of rain.
The rain is horizontal again this morning
Look at
http://213.84.90.101/
--
Martin
Old 28-12-2003, 10:33 AM
seven

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"seven" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Thanks Rusty. These are small though and come in pots. I planted

some
out
in a raised bed and they soon spread. They were wonderful

Do report on their hardiness - they sound interesting.

I will do that. They will be sorely tested in this Scottish

climate)

Whereabouts in Scotland are you Ophelia?

I am in Aberdeenshire

I am further south near Stirling. Tonight we have a very hard frost.

Fit like the day ma loon?))))

lol

I am nae a loon!

But I am fine, we have a covering of snow here.

Old 28-12-2003, 10:42 AM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
:
: [snip]
:
: I bought some winter pansies by mail order this year as mini plug plants
: and
: potted them all up on arrival in individual small pots, but although
they
: have survived they haven't even developed a root system, let alone
: flowered.
:
: I take it then that I am not the only one who thinks mini plug plants are
: racket.
:
: [snip]
:
: Franz
:
I've found them fine for other things in the Spring, but these I got half
price from T & M, so it was probably at the end of their catalogue life. It
got quite cold after I planted them, I don't have a greenhouse, there was no
more room on the spare room window cill so they had to put up a fight in an
unheated garden shed. They are still alive, but not doing much.

Old 28-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

isn't the collective noun for slugs a coven?

On a dead HDD I have a long list of collective nouns. May be on a 5¼"
floppy too, but the 5¼" drive is in the box with the dead C:\drive...

Old 28-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Ophelia

"seven" wrote in message

Fit like the day ma loon?))))

lol

I am nae a loon!

But I am fine, we have a covering of snow here.

Oooops... sorry quinie)