Old 05-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Salsify

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...

Jerusalem artichokes:

John Seymour's solution is to let them flower and seed, then shoot the
pheasants which are attracted. I haven't had a gun for decades, but it
seems sound to me. The vegetable itself leaves me cold.

I love them, especially baked dry in their skins.

MMmmmmmm

Mary

Mike.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Mary Fisher

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message

Jerusalem artichoke neither flowers nor seeds.

Of course it does!

You get a beautiful show of sunflowers!

Mary

You must be thinking of
globe artichokes, if so, I would agree wholeheartedly with John Seymour.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 06-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Mary Fisher

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Jerusalem artichoke neither flowers nor seeds.

I think you what you mean is that it does do both, but not in the UK ;-)
It will flower in the UK in a very good summer, but I'm not aware of it
maturing seed in the UK.

Ours did in 2002 ... I have pictures of both but only because they were so
beautiful.

I didn't know it was unusual.

Mary

Old 06-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Tim Tyler

Mary Fisher wrote or quoted:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Jerusalem artichoke neither flowers nor seeds.

I think you what you mean is that it does do both, but not in the UK ;-)
It will flower in the UK in a very good summer, but I'm not aware of it
maturing seed in the UK.

Ours did in 2002 ... I have pictures of both but only because they were so
beautiful.

Picture of Jerusalem artichoke in flower:

http://entm29.entm.purdue.edu/acorn/...sp?flowerID=68
--
__________

Old 07-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

Picture of Jerusalem artichoke in flower:

http://entm29.entm.purdue.edu/acorn/...sp?flowerID=68

I think we are talking about a different species.

What's in the picture is nothing like the artichokes I have grown for
more than fifty years, on and off.

For a start, mine have much larger leaves and grow to a height of about
ten feet.

Remind me next year and I'll post a picture of them.

BUT: I have recently got some artichokes which are very different in
form: they are a lot smaller and aren't all knobbly and lumpy, they
resemble big grubs, and promise to be much easier to prepare, so I shall
be planting some of those next season.

I wonder whether these relate to the pics you posted?

Different countries tend to call plants by other names: for instance, in
France the mushroom we would call a chanterelle is called a girolle. The
mushroom they call a chanterelle is Cantharellus infundibuloformis, a
near relative, and for which I don't know a common name.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the French might be right on this one.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:30 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Jerusalem artichoke neither flowers nor seeds.

I think you what you mean is that it does do both, but not in the UK ;-)
It will flower in the UK in a very good summer, but I'm not aware of it
maturing seed in the UK.

Not according to a book I read - can't remember which. It said that they
reproduced entirely vegetatively. I've grown them for years, and never
seen flowers on artichokes - not even last year, when they grew quite as
high as an heffalump's eye and I watered them all the year too.

(And we had artichokes in the garden from - um - 1944.)

You must be thinking of
globe artichokes,

That would seem more likely :-)
Do pheasants like thistle seed?

I don't know, but they eat seeds of many sorts: they're omnivorous like
chickens. globe artichoke seeds are a bit bigger than ordinary thistle
seeds too.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:49 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

[...]

Re Salsify (more) partoo United Kingdom 0 13-04-2009 07:23 AM
Salsify Rock Creations United Kingdom 42 11-04-2009 03:07 PM
Salsify and Scorzenera Plum United Kingdom 4 19-04-2008 09:29 AM