Old 30-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Forcing Rhubarb.

The message
from "Cumberpach" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Cumberpach" contains these words:

snip
Raid jumble sales and buy up bags of old leather shoes and old woollies
afterwards. Get bones from the butcher - he'll usually give them

They sound hungry - the previous allotmenteer (?) planted them parallel to a
15 foot wide mature compost heap.

They will grow if you don't feed them, but if you really pamper them
they repay you a hundred-fold.

The leather, bones and wool provide slow-release phosphates and
nitrogen. Then you only need bung on some well-rotted manure every year
or so as your rhubarb patch becomes a hazard to aviation.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 30-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Cumberpach" contains these words:

Yes, quite a lot of info, I didn't realise there was poison in the leaves.

Oxalic acid. Boil the leaves ant the resulting juice is very good for
killing greenfly, and for getting iron stains out of wood.

Old 30-12-2003, 09:03 AM
martin

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:14:48 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Cumberpach" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Cumberpach" contains these words:

snip
Raid jumble sales and buy up bags of old leather shoes and old woollies
afterwards. Get bones from the butcher - he'll usually give them

They sound hungry - the previous allotmenteer (?) planted them parallel to a
15 foot wide mature compost heap.

They will grow if you don't feed them, but if you really pamper them
they repay you a hundred-fold.

The leather, bones and wool provide slow-release phosphates and
nitrogen. Then you only need bung on some well-rotted manure every year
or so as your rhubarb patch becomes a hazard to aviation.

and something to encourage the police, when they are digging your
garden free, whilst looking for your mother-in-law.
--
Martin
Old 30-12-2003, 06:06 PM

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
: The message
: from "K" contains these words:
:
: How late can rhubarb be planted and what varieties would urglers
recommend?
: I have room for only one crown.
:
: I would say that by February you're pushing it.
:
: Varieties? No idea what's available and I couldn't name you one. I do
: know that most of the rhubarb I've grown was allegedly a 'Champagne' of
: some ilk.
:
: Rhubarb takes well to being grown in pots., and the best pots for the
: job are those 20 gallon-ish drums with a wide mouth.
:
: You can get drums (but not always wide-mouthed ones) from fire stations.
: They come with a harmless foaming agent in.)
:
: --
: Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
:
: Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
: iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Many thanks for the info Rusty.