Old 01-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Fruit Trees needed

Hi,

I shall need fruit trees in the future to put in my backyard and would
appreciate which Nursery is the best. I live in Reading, Berkshire.

Rajinder

Old 01-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Bob Hobden

www.kenmuir.co.uk/

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
356 data units completed.

Old 01-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Robert

: Hi,
:
: I shall need fruit trees in the future to put in my backyard and would
: appreciate which Nursery is the best. I live in Reading, Berkshire.
:
: Rajinder

http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/ this is where I would get them

Robert South West England

Old 01-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Sacha

Robert1/1/04 4:26
$rj$

: Hi,
:
: I shall need fruit trees in the future to put in my backyard and would
: appreciate which Nursery is the best. I live in Reading, Berkshire.
:
: Rajinder

http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/ this is where I would get them

Robert South West England

This is another excellent source. They're in Devon but they do mail order.
Their catalogue is very interesting and they have many ancient varieties,
going back to Tudor times and (IIRC) even Roman imports.
http://www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk/
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Dave

For Top Fruit or Soft Fruit I have always used Blackmoor Nursuries at Liss
(Hants) and selected & collected my own.
You will find them on the web and they are not too far from Reading

Old 02-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Roy Bailey

In article , Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar
Jatt writes
Hi,

I shall need fruit trees in the future to put in my backyard and would
appreciate which Nursery is the best. I live in Reading, Berkshire.

First of all, when you say a backyard in Reading, do you actually mean just
that, or are you using 'backyard' in the American sense to refer to a garden at
the back of your house?

If the former, will it really be suitable for growing fruit trees, unless they
are dwarf varieties in tubs? If the latter, how big is the garden, because that
affects the size of trees you can safely grow in it? And what type of fruit
trees do you require?

One place that springs to mind is the National Fruit Collection at Brogdale
Horticultural Trust, Faversham, Kent. Tel: 01795 535462 or 535286. They have a
sample of every fruit tree you can think of.

A fairly local nursery is Bernwode Plants, Kingswood Lane, Ludgershall, Bucks
HP18 9RB. Tel: 0844 237415. E-mail: . Web site:
www.bernwodeplants.co.uk. They have a very comprehensive catalogue which costs
£1.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:28 AM
doug.

In message , Roy Bailey
writes
[...]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have done quite a bit of budding and grafting of apple 'trees' in my
time.
Don't buy those straggling things sold by the normal garden centres.,
they're for big gardens or orchards.
You need bushes which have been grafted or - (sometimes)- budded on
dwarfing rootstock. There's a name for it but I've forgotten it,- M 26
or summat like that. You can buy them from the firms like Brogdale,
(which - If I remember correctly, used to be the national fruit research
centre funded by the Government until they withdrew the funding to save
money and flogged it off to private ownership.) Which firm, - mind
you,- does a great job. I have dealt with them in my small way.
You have to have patience because you are not going to get any fruit the
week after you've planted them. Even a year or four is optimistic. If
you want to grow them in big tubs in the backyard of a terraced house
and you don't live on the south coast of Kent try something else, er..,
like elephant training. Sorry but that's the way it is. In the
gardening game you have to be cruel to be kind. (:^).
--
Doug.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Rod

Sacha wrote:

This is another excellent source. They're in Devon but they do mail order.
Their catalogue is very interesting and they have many ancient varieties,
going back to Tudor times and (IIRC) even Roman imports.
http://www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk/

I like the looks of this. Carriage looks expensive for anybody outside SW. Worth
recommending to my Daughter & Son in Law in Glos?
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
Old 05-01-2004, 12:13 AM
anton

doug. wrote in message ...
In message , Roy Bailey
writes

http://www.brogdale.org/index.html

Don't buy those straggling things sold by the normal garden centres.,
they're for big gardens or orchards.
You need bushes which have been grafted or - (sometimes)- budded on
dwarfing rootstock. There's a name for it but I've forgotten it,- M 26
or summat like that. You can buy them from the firms like Brogdale,
(which - If I remember correctly, used to be the national fruit research
centre funded by the Government until they withdrew the funding to save
money and flogged it off to private ownership.) Which firm, - mind
you,- does a great job. I have dealt with them in my small way.

Brogdale Horticultural trust is a charity- see url above.

have fun

--
Anton